Smok issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
All the mods I've seen, no matter the size of the fire button, under all the plastic has a 1/4 inch button that actually gets pressed. I'd try some dust off in the cracks. Maybe a needle or thin wire and see if you can fish out some pocket lint or anything that's blocking the fire bar from pressing the actual fire button. The smok alien has a fire bar, a spring between the bar and the mod and a little triangular piece of metal that comes off the fire bar into the mod that presses the fire button. If you cant fix it with dust off and have to disassemble watch a smok alien disassembly video to give you an idea of how its put together.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Some mods are worth fixing. If you can get into it you might get lucky. I've got lucky twice.
In general, only a shop will replace, the Chinese brands do not get involved. Depends on the shop. I've failed twice to get a shop to replace.
Basically Smok would never enter my thoughts if I was buying a new mod, such a weak record of reliability.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you get lucky your fire button is sticking and with a good clean it will go back to normal. That may or may not be the case. I would not be all thrilled with dismantling a smok mod, honestly but that's just me. I have dismantled one with some success. If it's at all under warranty though, I would really consider warrnantying it rather than trying to replace a worn button and etc. And yes, if you do dismantle watch some how to guides, I think.

Good luck,

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: MJCSD

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Julian Stotelmyer – Have you used stern language? My mother would use this all the time on me and my father….worked like a charm! I personally have not had much luck with stern language but YMMV

Joking aside, send Smok a email….doesn’t cost anything and there is no harm in trying.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: stols001

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
@Julian Stotelmyer – Have you used stern language? My mother would use this all the time on me and my father….worked like a charm! I personally have not had much luck with stern language but YMMV

Joking aside, send Smok a email….doesn’t cost anything and there is no harm in trying.

I tried this with Joyetech. They weren't interested and didn't like where I had bought it from. They described the vendor as a "copy cat".... something lost in translation??

Obviously, if it costs nothing but time, always worth letting them know. They must be aware how bad their reliability is. I doubt they care to ever do the right thing.. too busy selling interesting and genuinely novel products at fair prices. Hard to argue really.

Smok is a phenomenon. I feel fairly sure that in any other walk of life (business) social media would have killed them off years ago. There was a UK mobile phone company importing from China. Their products were interesting, decent spec and well-priced. The reliability was terrible and social media killed them off, easy!

Social media might well kill off Juul (UK) in time. There's so little love in the UK for this type of product. We have much less money than Americans to spend on 'disposable income' products. I never knew this until recently. Weird. :)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I do not have much exposure to Smok. However, without the facts and actual statistics it is difficult to gauge their true reliability. When a company such as Smok dominates a market it is only natural that we hear more about reliability issues. Selling 100k units and having 10k fail is the same 10% failure rate as selling 10k units and only having 1k fail. However, the former will give us the opinion of a higher failure rate because we are exposed to it more often. Not sticking up or promoting Smok, but you see this quite often in many different industries.

If Smok is truly that bad time will catch up with them and they will either have to improve, or lose market share.

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Smoant tried that with my with my Cylon. The did not want to honor THEIR manufacturer's warrant because it was from FT. I kept at them, explaining their problem was with FT, not me, since apparently FT could get their hands on some. I was like, "Why don't you stop selling to them then, it's not MY problem you sell them your mods and get upset with pricing.

I also drew a pointed and drawn out analogy between Sears and like, Walmart and how a product you bought from EITHER at vastly different prices does not VOID the manufacturer's warranty, not unless you like, tear up the card in front of the consumer.

This "I don't like your vendor" business is completely irrelevant, but you kinda have to keep after them. I was a bit surprised but well, they honored their warranty. Join their FB group (if they have one) and announce your displeasure! Wear them down with logical insults!

Well, it probably doesn't hurt that there is hateful part of me that kind of enjoys those emails.... I mean, not with like friends or family or anything but someone refusing to honor their warranty when I have ACTUALLY managed to keep all my receipts and stuff? Yes, I am afraid I approach those with abandon let's fact it Smoant goons weren't going to knock on my door I don't think. Etc.

Be a bit noisy if you are under warranty don't let go! That's like your hard earned money right?

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If Smok is truly that bad time will catch up with them and they will either have to improve, or lose market share.
SMOK has had the same unreliability for years. Yet they continue to prosper with incredible marketing techniques, flashy advertising, and market saturation.

Having worked in vape retail, I can attest to the unreliability of SMOK compared with other brands. Vape shops continue to sell them because SMOK gives better deals to purchase in bulk that are hard to turn down. However, SMOK doesn't usually accept returns on defective products, and vape shops have to eat the loss.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
However, SMOK doesn't usually accept returns on defective products, and vape shops have to eat the loss.

I knew a vape shop in my town that replaced an X-Cube mod SEVEN times. How much did it cost the owner (a sort of friend of mine) dealing with a friend of mine? and Smok could have stepped in at some point. Anyway... he's more Innokin now and Smok are less than 25% of his shop stock. I guess they lost out eventually. My friend (who won't shop online) has moved to Joyetech for the last 14 months.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
My smok procolor fire button seems to be having issues, where i have to squeeze extremely hard for it to fire and half the time it doesnt work, is there a way to fix this?
Be a bit noisy if you are under warranty don't let go! That's like your hard earned money right?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Anna above says it all for me.
Other contact possibilities:
Local B&M Vape Shop (Phone first then visit)/someone who knows what their doing -----Might be simple.
Vendor who sold it ---see if they will repair or replace or advise (any authorized distributor).

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread