Smok Morph 2 with TFV18 is Shockingly Durable and Kind of Great

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoLeak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Dec 8, 2009
    USA
    I've been vaping since 2007 when cigalikes were the only game in town. During that time I owned a lot of Smok mods and tanks. I was disappointed every time.

Since those dark days of buying Smok products, I have experience with around 20 different high end RTA's and countless mods.

About six months ago I was in a bind and needed a mod ASAP. My only option was a local shop that (to my horror) only carries Smok products. I did my best to pick what in my mind would be the best of the worst. I went home with a Morph 2 kit. The kit came with a TFV18 tank.

Unfortunately, the Morph couldn't drive the coil setup that was installed on my daily driver RTA. I had been without a vape for a while so I filled the TFV18 that came in the kit and hoped for the best. I was amazed. Ultra open draw and great vapor production. I blew clouds. I can't speak to flavor production as I only vape menthol but given the design I think it should be good.

I'm hard on mods. I drop them a lot, like a couple times a week, more or less always on cement, pavement, or wood floors. Not a lot of carpet in my habitat. Every mod I've ever owned has died from a drop or a worn out 510. Mostly it's drops.

Fast forward six months and many drops later.

My Morph 2 looks and works like it just came out of the box. The fact that any mod did this amazes me. Even more amazing is that it's a Smok.

The mod charges fast and does a good job of balancing the cells. It has USB Type C. It's my first mod to have that and I won't go back. It's sad so many recent releases still use Micro USB.

I've owned a bunch of Smok tanks over the years and they were "ok" at best for their time performance-wise. Durability was a joke. The hinge on the fill lid would loosen. Or the gasket would wear out. Or the gasket would get chewed up by the lid. They leaked. Coils didn't last worth a damn.

I've run two tanks a day through my TFV18 since I bought the thing. Performance has been so good I never bothered to recoil my daily driver RTA. Out of box performance was phenomenal and it has maintained that performance over all this time on that one original coil. The lid hinge hasn't worn out. The lid gasket still seals. The tank is 100% leak free even when I lay the mod sideways for hours. Keep in mind all of those drops included the tank. One drop broke the tank glass but the kit came with a replacement.

This whole experience is so counter to my expectations of Smok products I had to post about it. But not everything is a surprise...

The mod sometimes goes bananas when you vape while charging. You need to pop the batteries to make it sane again.

It mysteriously doesn't like some types of coils. I would say exotic coils but how exotic is twisted double strand 24 gauge stainless wire? It seems to read the resistance as wildly different from one minute to the next constantly asking if it's a new coil. There's no way to lock resistance either. Huge PITA but is doesn't happen with the TFV18.

Temperature control doesn't work worth a damn.

The mod chipset doesn't handle a wide range of coil resistances. Again, not a problem with the TFV18 installed.

Overall, I would not buy this mod for use with other RTA's but paired with the TFV18 it's kind of amazing. It performs well and the durability is phenomenal. The combo is so good I plan to buy a stash of coils and replacement glass and see how long it holds out. It'll make a great fallback setup.

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    I'm hard on mods. I drop them a lot, like a couple times a week, more or less always on cement, pavement, or wood floors. Not a lot of carpet in my habitat. Every mod I've ever owned has died from a drop or a worn out 510. Mostly it's drops.

Fast forward six months and many drops later.

I no longer recommend this mod. The onboard charger spontaneously stopped working.

I'm actually surprised it lasted that long...
    6 months is 25 weeks (varies depending on the months),you dropped the mod a couple times a week so in total that is 50 times you dropped the mod (ballpark figure) and you still expect it to work properly?

Only mod that is rugged and could kinda deal with your constant dropping would be the Jackaroo 100w or the Jackaroo 128w,those are hard to find but if you do find one i recommend you get a couple.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread