Smok R-Stream Mini - Smok copies the VTC Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Well there... almost identical dimensions and look (except for the screen). Apparently smok is trying to cash in on the success of the VTC Mini. I can't blame them, my two VTC mini's are awesome!

$36.83 Authentic Smoktech SMOK R-Steam Mini 80W TC VW APV Box Mod - 1-80W / 1*18650 / zinc alloy at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

4333002-3.jpg

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
I have a VTC Mini and a smok Treebox. The treestump is inaccurate in TC using 316L- I have to go in and drop the Initial Resistance setting by ~ 0.025 to get it to vape more or less normally. And it lacks the ability to do firmware upgrades or onboard charging (no USB) plus has no TCR presets. Not to mention the miniscule screen and larger enclosure. None of these things are an issue w/the VTC Mini- the Mini does everything I ask of it w/o drama.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
The chip has the accuracy of a 3 year old crayon drawing.

After seeing a good few tests and using the VTC, I respectfully disagree.
The VTC is one of my backups, my main mod is the VT200 which has probably the most accurate chip there is - both work very nicely.

At the end of the day, if I can put an atty on a mod and get a good vape then it's doing it's job isn't it?
I don't vape by "numbers" but even if that were the case, the VTC is actually pretty accurate when it comes to temp control.

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
It would appear that SMOK have really stepped up their game with the release of the R80 and the R200. Companies are allowed to improve their offering. Just as people are entitled to assume nee products are substandard just because previous ones have been.

Most people accept that 6 months is a long time in vaping. If a company learns from its mistakes, that is a good thing, right? It's not as though anyone would be in a queue to buy Joyetech's products from 3 years ago if they were offered for sale now. What if SMOK have caught up? What if this new mod is better than the vct mini? Time will tell.

As for the design, of course there are similarities. But how many different ways are there to configure the buttons and battery case on a tiny 18650 mod? The Kanger is also very similar.

People should just relax a little. You dont have to buy it if you don't want to. I just might.

Reactions: Foggy Road

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
Take a look at the Pico. I guess there are a number of different ways to design a mod!!! I have no problem with them cloning it but I don't see buying a clone for the same price as the original when the original is a terrific mod.
Calling it a clone is a bit harsh. The placement of the 510 connector is dictated by space considerations. The fire button by ergonomic ones. Where else would you suggest a screen and two regulatory buttons should go?

The only thing you can really point at as having been copied from the vtc mini is the battery door. And that is also the same as the battery door on the subox mini.

I dont believe that Joyetech have a copyright on the use of a box shape.

Please note I did not say there are no other ways to design a small mod. I just said there were only so many ways. You cant convince me Smok could not have used a box shape on their own.

Reactions: Foggy Road
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread