The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Smok Trinity or Orion DNA..... What's your preference?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Dave Lewin, Apr 4, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Sadly due to the flavor fiasco with the FDA in the US availability of pod systems will only decrease rather than increase. Upside down world we live in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    Yes, sadly Tobacco is at the heart of America's politics and with no real national health service over there, there's no incentive to stop people from dying. Far from it. It's an essential part of the economy.
    I fear for great juice makers like Frisco vapes currently with even juice production being shut down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rex Everything

Rex Everything Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 27, 2014
    Tacoma
    2 orions dead in under 2 weeks both DNA Go chips both bricked right after coming off charger...actually think the Nord is the better device

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. CasketWeaver

CasketWeaver Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    Holy crap! I wonder why or how they died. I know evolv has a few issues with firmware, never seen issues with boards themselves.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vicman

Vicman Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I have 2 Orions collecting dust. The pods are the weak point for me. Them darn drip tips break for no reason. The life span is inconsistent as some last a couple weeks and others die quickly. I can't find a sweet spot where I like the vape. I have 2 Orion Q systems which get sporadic use. I like the vape from them but them damn drip tips are fragile.

I have a few Nords that get use every day. Very flavorful and reliable. Wish they had air flow control but other than that, very happy with them. Will wait to see what others say on the forum before I go out an buy a Trinity. I don't really need another pod system but if it gets good reviews from y'all, I will get one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    I must admit I've never broken a drip tip off and I just chuck mine in my pocket (had plenty of fluff in the drip tip though, lol).
    It's like any tank really. One person's perfection is another's Hell.
    Juice viscosity, flavour and draw style play a huge part in how your going to enjoy the experience and if it works for you.
    This is why we need more universal size pods for various system's with different wick, wire, ohms and airflow options.
    I think lostvape should have offered a firmware update and made the pods the same size on the Q then mtl vapers like me would have had the option to use all the pods on the more expensive model.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    On the subject of evolv board's. I see there's a beta version of DNA mate on android (escribe for phones and tablets) about time they sorted that out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2018
    for me i choose smok over orion.
    1. why pods ? simplicity, size and consistence.
    2. prices, i find no reason paying for 40w but u not gonna use it or unable to use it.
    3. Premium prices for GIMMICK chips. (i think simple SMALL mod does more than 40w).
    4. I see less complaint on smok pods than ORION and ORION quest build quality is below par (8 out of 8) i check having gap (pods n batt), it look like first level rejected Lost Vape Orion conversion product.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    I think your looking at the results incorrectly bud.
    The lost vape has been available for a long time now and is largely loved.
    Price wise I've seen them at around $45 directly from China lately so no big difference.
    The issue's pointed out here are due to taste and straight out of the box performance with certain juices. The board has full flexibility to adjust this using escribe.
    The smok reviews are either "pre paid" or very new. So zero long term real life reviews.
    I have used the lost vape Orion for a long time with zero issue's.
    I've had the smok for a week now and can tell you yes, so far it vapes adequately but not as dialed in on flavour as the orion is capable of.
    The quality of the smok is adequate but far inferior to the Orion.
    Experience of amok over the last five year's also leaves me with little to hope for quality wise. I've fixed a huge number of smok product's for fellow vapers (and thrown away more) I'm yet to have a lost vape fail.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2018
    hahahahhahahha read in this forum, smok n orion, what i stage is MY opinion but it does hurt some butt some times. ...
    btw i stop reading AT i have number of SMOK product's for fellow vapers (but not you).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    I've reviewed pretty much every smok product here in the UK and used many. Loved the little koopor mini despite it's short comings and used a treebox plus for a while (until the board failed).
    They made excellent mtl tanks early on and tanks like the baby beast could be excellent with the right coils (but again quality control on those coils was terrible).
    Of course your entitled to your opinion and as long as your happy and it keeps you from smoking, it's all good. Shame you gave up reading as it's good to discuss that's what we're here for.
    But. It is still to early to give a final verdict on the pod system.
    I'd actually recommend the aspire breeze and nautilus based pods over all others and my personal favorite was the hava but as I said before the pod availability is poor. With this particular design, I still prefer the original sub zero zeltu.
    Actually of all the Chinese manufacturers mods I've opened up I'd say innokin have the best quality materials inside and a very low fail rate. Yet some do fail.
    All good buddy, no offence meant and who knows, maybe this will be a fantastic product from smok. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    The 0.5 ohm pods from the DNA Orion work on the Q. The 0.25 ohm does not. Then again the Q can only provide a maximum of 17W so not really surprising.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    Yeah wouldn't get much from it would you, lol. Thanks bud.
    You'd have hoped it would be the other way round.
    As for smok I do hope it does well. I'm still routing for kangertech to come up with something as innovative as the subtanks and dripbox's.

• Like Like x 3
  14. vimagreg

vimagreg Super Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I'm so sad to find fanboys in vape world as well. Being a cellphone and smartphone forums participant since some fifteen years ago, I know so well how this kind of user hurt the real debates...

Thanks for your inputs, @Black wings. Thanks for maintain the high level of this thread. I found it very interesting and helpful. I see this question exactly like you. I, too, have a very bad experience with Smok quality (or lack of), but find this new pod an interesting option. I just think they could make something a little bit different than models we already have, but that's the way it is.

One thing you said interested me above all. So you do prefer Breeze over Orion? I have the two, and actually I do prefer Orion for a single reason: more soft airflow. I'm more DL kind of vaper. Interesting. I like to know different uses and preferences.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    Thank you vimagreg.
    It's not necessarily that I prefer the breeze but to a new vaper I feel (I can only speak as a UK customer) that it offers both value for money, a very good vape and the spare coils/pods are readily available at pretty much every vape shop. I feel availability of spares (and price point) is a big issue when new to vaping.
    When cigarettes are available on every street corner shop and pods or coils are only available by mail order, the likelihood of failing to make the switch is that much higher.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. vimagreg

vimagreg Super Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Understood.

Here in Brazil is easier to find Orion pods, so here this works in the opposite way. But it's all so pricey! Mind you, in Berlin I can find a good pair of Orion pods for something like 9 euros. Here the same pair will cost me 95 reais, which is something around 20 euros. It's insane!

• Like Like x 3
  17. CasketWeaver

CasketWeaver Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2014
    Decatur, IL 62521
    I guess when I get into the development and building of my own mods I'm going to put a DNA 250c chip and wire it for using pods and rebuildable atomizers.

Wishful thinking I know, but it would be an interesting kick.

As for why I support evolve I've been around since the DNA 20, and have been a fan of their boards ever since. That doesn't mean that I agree with everything that they're doing, nor do I appreciate the fact that I've gotten DNA powered product that have just not worked. and that's left a bad taste in my mouth a lot of it though was software-related it's not been the hardware.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  18. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I will say that by and large with each new generation of pod systems released performance has improved. A few years ago they weren't even on my radar. A small mod and tank was my out and about. That's really changed, and I think for the better of both new and long term vapers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Black wings

Black wings Super Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Wlts UK
    Had these two arrive this morning from the kind folks at @vaporesso
    How cute is the zipo type one. Fully mtl too. Nice.
    WP_20190408_15_52_53_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  20. vimagreg

vimagreg Super Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Man, this Aurora is one of my most desirable vape gadget right now. Incredibly beautiful, and this Zipo style bring good memories of mine. I'm really sad I can't find it to buy here right now.

What can you say right now about its pods? Good? Bad? Pricey? What about a quick review, maybe in another thread?

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.