The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

SmokTech DCT review

Discussion in 'Tank Reviews' started by envizion, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. envizion

envizion Full Member Verified Member

Dec 5, 2011
    NJ USA
    I've been using my SmokTech DCTs for quite a while now, about a month so far. Just a quick note: I started with cartomizers, went to dripping, back to cartos, and now to tanks. They are all great in their own way, some brands better than others. My take on the SmokTech tanks is that I get full flavor all the time and the vapor production is awesone (I use the 1.5 carto on my Joye eGo and the 2.5 on my 5v). I still drip and use cartos once in a while just to mix things up, but tanks are where it's at for me!

2. envizion

envizion Full Member Verified Member

Dec 5, 2011
    NJ USA
    I wanted to add something that I noticed. I have 22 batteries (20 mod batteries and 2 joye eGo batteries) and 22 tanks. I keep about 20 spare replacement cartos for the tanks. The other day I was waiting for more e-liquid to get here, only had about 3-4ml left, and it was time to change a carto out because it was starting to taste slightly burnt. I filled the carto (exactly as I always do with around 35 drops) and then I put the remaining 3ml in the 5ml tank. I noticed the flavor and vapor were so much better.

I went ahead and filled the tank when it was just about empty, but this time I filled it to the top (5ml tank with 5ml of e liquid). It still produced the same taste and vapor, so I got this brilliant idea to see if this was unique to this 1 time or if this actually did help. I grabbed all my batteries, tanks, and new cartos. 4 of the tanks are 3.5ml and the rest are all 5ml. I repeated the prime and 3/5ths fill with each one. The flavor and vapor are all much better than when I would initially just fill the tank all the way on the first fill. I don't know if anyone else ever noticed this, but I just wanted to let y'all know what worked for me.

*I use PG liquid
    *10 of the mods are vv
    *5 mods are 3.7v
    *2 mods are 4.3v
    *3 mods are 5v
    *we already know what the Joye eGo are
    *all the resistance of the cartos is 1.5ohms (just seem best for me in every situation and I've tried every resistance out there)

3. Blackross

Blackross Full Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Georgia
    i got my dct last month (litecigusa.com) and broke the upper o-ring assembly of the tank (in about a week), the lower plastic peice... NOW, this is cool, i saw on vaporkings they have the same type BUT get this, it has metal o-ring assemblies instead of plastic pretty cool.... (priced high now, so i will wait)

The vg/pg mix i use is 20% vg to 80% pg on my juices, on about a days worth of vaping the dct carto's tend to burn up and restrict flow on tastyvapors marky mars mix (sweetened), though the natural tobacco menthol flows fine. Just run through with a paperclip and spin and they open right up.

Only setup i use now primarily is a newer ego 900mah usb pass through battery (my ego usb 650 finally was giving up after a year, i bought it as soon as it came out), i have a triple voltage ego, a gigi-slim, also a standard ego battery as a backup.

But reading this review my main question is, your vaping PG, but is it a sweetened or unsweetened mix? And how often do you go through dct's? Its been 3 weeks for me so far and my second dct is about done.

4. Blackross

Blackross Full Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Georgia
    (yep same vaping habit too, btw)

5. Kevin littell

Kevin littell Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Covington Ga
    I'm using 100% VG that I cut 10% with 90 proof booze(depends on the flavor) and I am sold on these things....

No dry burns, cartos seem to go weeks and the flavor is excellent on a Ego 18650 mod.

6. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
  7. RickH

RickH Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    NC
    anybody using CE's with the DCT's... I put a replacement tank on a CE2 XL .. couldn't see why it won't work.. just need to try it out

8. Verdant

Verdant Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2012
    FL
    I've been having alot of fun with my DCT, easy to fill and use even with minimal skill involved.

9. samwest

samwest Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2011
    Gainesville Texas
    I tried a tank from vaporessence because it was chrome and looked cool. It gurgled, spit, flooded and leaked. i I used my dremel tool and cut just a very small slot; same thing. Broke one inner o-ring and the replacement made the carto fit even looser, got pissed and traded it back for some ho hum juice. No more tanks for me; I'm not overly fond of cartos anyway (flavor loss). Bought the wife a black plastic 3.5 mil smoktech dct so she would use it more (analog smoke kills me). No leaks, gurgles, spittin' or leakin'. Very impressive; so I ordered a stainless one and a box of those neat cartos (1.5 ohm dual coil) for my provari. Could be a new love affair.
    '
    Stainless smoktech dct in blak

10. JaneinMesa

JaneinMesa Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 8, 2012
    AZ
    Newbie here. Disappointed in the 2 tanks I've tried. Problem with this one is it design flaws:

The hole feeding liquid into the cartomizer is too small. Many people punch additional holes, enlarge the hole or cut slots in the cartomizers. This concept will never work since the viscosity of e-liquid is very different. How large of a hole should one have with a certain juice? Try it, empty tank, punch hole, try again, punch holes, liquid get warm and runny, try again, . . . Too many holes in cartomizer? - get a new cartomizer. What works with one juice may not work with another. I tried one hole, and got many dry hits - didn't notice any difference from a regular carto. Added hole, it leaked badly through the bottom of the cartomizer (3 times!). Other problem is its very difficult to get the top off for refilling. The "O"ring bottom seal is easily damaged when inserting a new cartomizer. It's about a 1/2" inside the base so looks very difficult to replace, if it's even possible at all. Must purchase Smoktech cartomizers (XL-extra long) because they have a flange on the bottom to prevent you from pulling the cartomizer out of the tank. Dual Coil will use up your power very quickly.

Certainly not worth the high cost for all the trouble, cost of ruined cartomizers, and lost juice.

11. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Jane, just read your post. I'll admit carto tank success can be a work in progress, been there and done that. I did see some issues that you shared.

You don't want to take the top cap off the tank to fill. When you put it back on with a full tank, the pressure of the compressed air and juice takes the route of least resistance, which is to flood the carto and into the air hole resulting in leaking juice all over your mod.

A much better way is to first prep your punched cartomizer just like you would if you weren't going to put it into the tank. Make the polyfill nice and slushy looking. Putting a broken wooden tooth pic into the airhole helps keep any juice from accidentally getting into the air hole.

Then, you should use a tank accessory, or tank filling tool like this one, on the top of the carto:

View attachment 129268 tank accessory tool from Big Daddy Vapes - the Slap Yo Moma

This device does 3 things:
    1-It will help guide the carto thru the end caps of the tank during assembly. A little juice on the tool and the carto helps lubricate them to make passage smoother.

2-The tool also prevents the sharp edges of the carto from damaging the rubber o-rings in the end caps. These are what hold all the parts of the tank together, and if they don't work correctly, you end up with a leaky or loose tank.

3-You put the carto with the tool on top of it about 2/3rds of the way into the already put together tank, from the bottom. There will now be a space in the top of the top end cap to drip your juice into. The tool prevents any juice from getting into the air hole. Leave a little room at the top, meaning don't fill to the brim. Then push the carto the rest of the way up, remove the tool, and replace it with your drip tip.

The tank filling tool is indespensible, and I believe a key to avoid user error when filling and assembling a carto tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.