Smoktech Sid Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstaks

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
South Carolina
Intro:

Hey guys I am back with another review! Now, most of you may not care since it's a budget intended apv but others who are on a budget will. This time it is the Smoktech Sid variable voltage/wattage apv. I picked this up on sale for $21.99 and used a coupon to get it down to $15.99. The total cost was $21 shipped and they even threw in a free 30ml bottle of Swedish fish. The device arrived at my house in three days. I heard a lot of horror stories and yet positive ones but I intended to buy it. For the price and specs it's great and has a higher amp limit compared to my Ego V3. In this review these are solely my opinions, pros, and cons with this device. All feedback is welcome!

Specs:

*Wide drip well, fits most 510 and Ego Atomizers
*PCB with 4 Amperage output limit
*User selectable Voltage or Wattage Control
*Voltage Control Range: 3.0--6.0 V with 0.1 volt increments
*Wattage Control Range: 3.0--15.0 watts with 0.5 watt increments
*Improved 360° turning button
*Short Circuit protection
*Reverse battery protection
*Battery Monitoring
*Over-Discharge Protection
*On/Off Mode
*Vented tail cap
*Oxidized aluminum body
*Clear digital display
*Selectable Main Info Display: atomizer/cartomizer resistance, battery under-load voltage, atomizer/cartomizer Output voltage
*One button-click menu system similar to the ZMAX
1) Variable voltage and Variable Wattage battery mod
2) Maximum output of 4 Amps
3) Built in OLED display showing menu, function and selection
4) The SID can read your output voltage, battery voltage and cartomizer / atomizer resistance.
5) Powered by 1 x 18350, 1*18500 or 1 x 18650 Lithium-ion battery

Unboxing:
Basically you get a nice box and some directions!
pu8ejyqe.jpg

First impressions:
Once I unboxed it my first reaction was how light it was, even with the AW battery in it. This is the lightest mod I have ever picked up to date. To put this in perspective it is lighter than my Kayfun Lite clone! The 510/ego threading does not have any burrs and the tanks go on well. Finish wise it is great for the price, although some will say it's cheap. I don't think the color will last and I see it scratching easily, but all devices will wear with time. The top ring has cutouts for certain tanks and it has the ability to use beauty rings. Easy to grip and definitely smaller than other devices!

dazu4uqy.jpg

e9aqa7e7.jpg

ja3y7a8a.jpg

Initial use:
The battery I'm using is a AW IMR 2000mah. It last me about a day in a half, I constantly vape so I'm happy with this. The AW is the perfect fit and soon as you take the battery cap off it falls right out. I have no battery rattle what so ever with this combination. Smok elected to use a OLED screen and it is beautiful but if your going to be in the sun it will be hard to read. You have seven screens on the SID, each with there own categories.

Power up

e2yma6ud.jpg

Here you can change volts in 0.1 increments or watts in 0.5

3a6ehe8a.jpg

ma5uze5a.jpg

Then you have a device lock option for firing protection

ete5ytap.jpg

Battery voltage

utuhyzuj.jpg

LCD display. This option will show depending on what you choose, battery life, resistance, or voltage/wattage

e2uveja7.jpg

Here you can decide if you want the LCD display on or off while firing.

a5ajudyd.jpg

Option seven gives you the option to choose your source of power.

qy5a6yma.jpg

The categories are very easy to navigate. I had no trouble going through the options and you learn it fast. Three clicks to pull the menu up and let it idle for about 2 seconds to select that option. One click to cycle through the seven menus and change the options within them. The firing button does have a nice resistance to it but it does rattle a little. While the button does spin, I found this is not to be a problem. I actually liked this because you could move the Sid side to side in your mouth without having to take your thumb off. The Sid is very comfortable in the hand especially due to its weight. I like a lighter mod that does not kill the hand and IMO this is it. The vape on the Sid is very consistent, I found myself vaping at with 4v or 6-7 watts. I did take it up to 15w and 6v on my Kayfun and it hit very well. It provides a very nice vape even with the 33mhz chip. I've had no problems using all my tanks on this device and even my mini dripper. One thing that impressed me is vaping my dripper at 1.5o's and I was chucking clouds like I was sub ohming. While it doesn't provide that hot vape you still get a decent warm draw. I've had no problems with vapor or taste production, I've always been able to find the sweet spot within the options provided. I was able to get a hard hit or smooth soft hit depending on my mood. This device is very versatile, it gives you all the options you need with a variable voltage/wattage device. It does save your settings if you can swap the battery within the 30 second window. It will provide you with the resistance of your coils and battery life. It's easy to lug around and the length of the device is shorter than others. While it does have a cheap look and feel, it is very comfortable. I found this to be my go to device for the past week and don't find myself using anything different for awhile. I think Smoktech definitely did a good job with this device.

Pros:

Price
Power
Weight
Amp limit
Battery life
Versatile
OLED
510/ego threading
Threads were smooth with mine
Compatible with the evic
Replaceable control head
Design
Size

Cons
Fragile (drop it you will probably have issues)
Finish
On/off switch
Button rattle
No Sid logo
No battery tubes included

Conclusion:
All in all you can not go wrong with this device. The price and options it provides can't be beat. IMO it comes out on top compared to the Vamo, if anyone is considering that. I've had a pleasant vape experience and don't regret my decision at all. Battery life is great and it tells you all the information you need during a vape. I did have the Ego V3 (girlfriend took due to the pretty color and battery meter lol) but due to the 4a output you get the true 15w experience. I due however wish the finish didn't look as cheap but with everything it provides I can't complain. I can get whatever vape I'm looking for wether hard, soft, or chucking some clouds. I like how I can use all types of tanks on here and I'm not limited to my selection. All in all if you take care of this device it will last. If you abuse your things or are clumsy I would look at something else. Smok did a pretty good job with this, minor issues, but you can't beat them. If your looking for a device that can pretty much do what the vamo, zmax, mvp, lava tube, or any device that hits that 15w limit, definitely consider Sid!

ezu5y7e6.jpg

na6yheta.jpg

duguvamy.jpg

uve7a6ur.jpg

a3y9unuh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dstaks

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2014
South Carolina
Great review! The SID was my second mod and I was very satisfied with it. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

No problem, I love it as well. Trying to get more info out there on it. Glad you enjoyed it! Just picked up an Aspire Bdc tank and it's a wicked combination together. Plan to review that tank as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread