Snus publications re: medical issues & “harm reduction”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
Foraging around on the web for information on snus for my own use I ran across a fair bit of interesting published information on medical and smoking reduction/cessation issues related to these tobacco products. My apologies if some of this may duplicate information already existing elsewhere on this site, but I thought it might be useful to others to aggregate some of the informative links I've saved, and encourage others to add any of their own, to provide an easily accessible place for folks wanting to look into these questions.

Health issues aren't a major concern of mine, but they do hold some interest for me, and probably a lot more interest for some others on this site. Smoking cessation stuff has no interest at all for me, but I know it does for a lot of others here, so I include some stuff I stumbled across while looking into snus use for other reasons.

Academic medical papers:
Systematic review of the health effects of modified smokeless tobacco products
http://nzhta.chmeds.ac.nz/publications/smokeless_tobacco.pdf

Effect of smokeless tobacco (snus) on smoking and public health in Sweden
http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/pdf/TC12349.pdf

Role of snus in initiation and cessation of tobacco smoking in Sweden.
Role of snus in initiation and cessation of tobacc...[Tob Control. 2006] - PubMed Result

The Relative Risks of a Low-Nitrosamine Smokeless Tobacco Product Compared with Smoking Cigarettes: Estimates of a Panel of Experts
The Relative Risks of a Low-Nitrosamine Smokeless Tobacco Product Compared with Smoking Cigarettes: Estimates of a Panel of Experts -- Levy et al. 13 (12): 2035 -- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Some articles in the popular press:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Reuters - UK: Doctors call for new nicotine products[/FONT]
Doctors call for new nicotine products | UK | Reuters

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Slate Magazine: Your Health This Week Snus—the safer option for smokers. And more.[/FONT]
Snus?the safer option for smokers. And more. - By Sydney Spiesel - Slate Magazine

A European bulletin board on the subject of snus & “harm reduction”Two well researched opinion pieces from Reason Magazine with embedded links for further reading and sources:

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
Foraging around on the web for information on snus for my own use I ran across a fair bit of interesting published information on medical and smoking reduction/cessation issues related to these tobacco products. My apologies if some of this may duplicate information already existing elsewhere on this site, but I thought it might be useful to others to aggregate some of the informative links I've saved, and encourage others to add any of their own, to provide an easily accessible place for folks wanting to look into these questions.

Health issues aren't a major concern of mine, but they do hold some interest for me, and probably a lot more interest for some others on this site. Smoking cessation stuff has no interest at all for me, but I know it does for a lot of others here, so I include some stuff I stumbled across while looking into snus use for other reasons.

Academic medical papers:
Systematic review of the health effects of modified smokeless tobacco products
http://nzhta.chmeds.ac.nz/publications/smokeless_tobacco.pdf

Effect of smokeless tobacco (snus) on smoking and public health in Sweden
http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/pdf/TC12349.pdf

Role of snus in initiation and cessation of tobacco smoking in Sweden.
Role of snus in initiation and cessation of tobacc...[Tob Control. 2006] - PubMed Result

The Relative Risks of a Low-Nitrosamine Smokeless Tobacco Product Compared with Smoking Cigarettes: Estimates of a Panel of Experts
The Relative Risks of a Low-Nitrosamine Smokeless Tobacco Product Compared with Smoking Cigarettes: Estimates of a Panel of Experts -- Levy et al. 13 (12): 2035 -- Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Some articles in the popular press:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Reuters - UK: Doctors call for new nicotine products[/FONT]
Doctors call for new nicotine products | UK | Reuters

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Slate Magazine: Your Health This Week Snus—the safer option for smokers. And more.[/FONT]
Snus?the safer option for smokers. And more. - By Sydney Spiesel - Slate Magazine

A European bulletin board on the subject of snus & “harm reduction”Two well researched opinion pieces from Reason Magazine with embedded links for further reading and sources:

Thanks for posting man.... Just more confirmation on how using snus as a harm reduction strategy is a really good idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread