So far $135 in and still not 100% satisfied. I think I need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a 25 year smoker. My ciggy of choice is Marlboro light 72s. I have got to quit. After this long, all of the nasty toxins are now really starting to take their toll.

I recently bought a KGO, 2 Vision Cartomizers, a syringe, and some sample juices (all 100% VG). I was so excited about it's arrival. When my purchase finally arrived, I filled the carts and couldn't hardly wait to begin my vaping journey!! Wow! The hit off of these things was way to harsh! Whew! I figured out that if I took a shorter draw on it, then it wasn't so bad. I kinda liked it. Needless to say, after two days, I had an ugly reaction to the VG. I had a really tight chest that felt like a ton of bricks! It had been coming on and just seemed to get more intense. So back to the ciggies..... :(

With some assistance of the good folks on this forum, I decided to make another purchase. This time a 50/50 blend and a couple juices with a lower nic level. I have to say... I really am enjoying the flavors and also have not had the chest tightening that I had experienced with the 100% VG.

Now for the cartomizers... They started leaking in my mouth. I would take a draw and have tingling juice all over my lips. It wasn't very pleasant, to say the least. AND I found that I have to tilt the unit up for it to wick. Thumbs down on these for me. So I decided to try the atomizers and the cartridges that came with my KGO. I LOVE IT!!! Guess what?... They are leaking too!! Arrgh!

I read that I can get some blue filler material for my cartridges from a pet store (a filter that is made for aquariums). From what I have read, these are the way to go. Hmmm.... I will try it, I guess.

A few questions for the members of this forum..

1. Have you ever tried the blue filler material? What are your reviews?
2. What a pain in the keister with refilling these carts, leaks, etc. Any suggestions?
3. And finally.... How much money did you put into your e cig, before you found the perfect match?

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
1: I'm glad you asked about repacking cartos with the blue stuff, saves me from asking. :)

2: I was a RYO (handrolled) smoker so I don't mind the ritual of filling and topping off, since I rolled my smokes one at a time. That said, I just ordered a Resurrector carto, which holds a lot more juice.
Crystal Clear Vaping
What I've been doing so far is taking several pre-filled (BOGE) cartos to work with me so I don't have to faff about with them during the day.
I get the slight leaking sometimes with freshly-filled cartos but maybe I'm weird, I don't mind a lil taste of juice. Better hit. LOL. After filling I let them sit for a good 10-15 minutes upright so the juice gets fully absorbed, that helps.

3: After fooling around with disposables, I bought a KGO about a month ago. It's doing the trick, so I just bought a second one. Including cartos, maybe $100 so far? Plus some juice. I just went on a spending spree and bought about $170 worth of different juices this morning o_O from four different vendors.
I've only once tried 100% VG juice and didn't care for it. Too thick, or something.

NaturesEncore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Chicago
momsfortress.com
I didn't like the cartomizers or cartridges that came with my kit either. I was having the same problem with juice leaking. Everyone here advised me to get the Boge LR (low resistance) cartomizers and just use the same battery.

At about $5 for a five-pack, I purchased some. I learned how to fill them, using the condom method, and never looked back. The filler material in these keeps the liquid from spewing into your mouth, provided you don't overfill them. Just fill until you see a slushy appearance on top, and top them off by dripping a few drops on top of the filler fluid when you notice it appearing a little dry.

These are meant to be disposable, but I have use the same ones, over and over again for about a month, now. Eventually, they will need to be tossed, but for now, they're still going strong.

These are so convenient and easy to use. After the first week of using them, I placed a bulk order for a carton of 50, just so I could rotate between 10 or so flavors. If you get bored of one flavor, it's so easy just to take it off and screw another one on.

HTH

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Good morning, and congrats on swtiching to vaping!

I read that I can get some blue filler material for my cartridges from a pet store (a filter that is made for aquariums). From what I have read, these are the way to go. Hmmm.... I will try it, I guess.

Well, this was the way to go some years ago. As far as I can tell, the pyramid teabag and the blue foam mods were very popular when our current veterans here were themselves starting up, but it's hardly something you need to do nowadays.

Now, when you say "Vision cartomizers" you mean this:FLüXomizer CE2 Cartomizers - GotVapes.com ?

If so, these are prone to either leaking or giving dry hits; if completely un-modded, they perform poorly, and modding them is a little fiddly. But there are other, far better performing things to try first. I can't suggest anything more reliable, right now, than the trusty regular "filler type", Boge 2.0 Ohm cartomizer. If you fill these correctly, and you keep them topped off throughout the day or, better yet, use them with a carto tank they will give you a great vape.

If you want to try, there are other types of filler-less cartomizers, like the CE2s, but a little better performing. People like the newer CE4 and CE4+ (they are completely different animals, though). The CE4 is also known as "Vision Stardust", so I'm afraid you might be using this one in which case, well... again try the regular cartos.

If you look at my sig you'll see how much I spent, but that includes a ProVari, and a boatload of DIY juice supplies :)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Never made it to the blue filler, bought Bogelr and gave up attys.

They've got threads going at Gotvapes for how to modify the clearos, I've only gotten one and gave up. I've been waiting a year for them to come out with one that is plug n play.

I just bought 2 full kits right away so I'd have xtra parts. Switched attys to boges, egos to passthroughs, juices to unflavored, added carto tanks.

Most folks spend more on vaping than they did on cigs to start, than it's up to you to be satisfied with a working combo, or let your addicted side take over and make it an expensive hobby.

After 35yrs of smoking, the Boge/egos got me off them easily after a few weeks, so I just stick with what works.

bodrell

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2010
    Michigan
    I meant to add - I smoked for 34 years, 45-50 smokes a day. I've tried everything to quit numerous times, I always got psycho and depressed and started smoking again.
    In the month I've been vaping, I'm down to 3-5 cigarettes a day, which is HUGE for me! I don't even like my smokes that much any more...vaping tastes way better but the addict part of my brain doesn't want to give up smoking completely. I'm thinking that with a great big stash of different juices to play with I'll be able to quit completely.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2011
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Congrats on switching from the stinkies. I went through a number of bad purchases before finding set ups that worked for me. Juice, set ups, cartos, tanks etc etc... Quit smoking 100% but still just felt like I was wanting in one way or another.

It was frustrating as heck for me when I first started.. wasted a lot of money too. Can only add that you will find the one that works for you and that money "wasted" on vaping is money invested in your health. No matter what I've spent, it all adds up to less than 1 hospital stay for a smoking related illness or one treatment for cancer that could be caused by smoking.

I know that this isn't the answer you are looking for but whatever you need to do, however you get there, it's worth it. Your life is priceless.

Good Luck!

blkhwk07

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 10, 2012
    Ohio,in the sticks!
    Hello,
    Just wondering when you filled the vision (clearomizer) did you fill it to the bottom side of the wick.
    When you put the cap on did you also screw it in after pushing it down. After filling and putting tip in,you can blow in it to see if you got juice in the tube.
    Lastly you don't have to vape it raised up, only every couple hits tilt it up to feed the wick.
    The reason I'm asking this is between my wife and I we have about 20,and we haven't had any leak or get a mouth full of fluid.
    Other than that I have no clue,but good luck to you.

dchest02

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muskegon, MI
    I would say buy some LR Boge's. I have tried the Visions too, and hated them. In my opinion you can't go wrong with Boge's. You don't want to know how much I've spent to find my perfect setup, and all day vape. (at least $500, probably more) I went through a ton of juices in my two months of vaping. I have finally settled on a good setup, and found a juice I love. Now I am looking for a 2nd all day vape.

Stef64

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Thanks for the comments. Curious.. With the LR Boges, is it a harsh throat hit?

It depends on the carto resistance and the juice you are using. 2.0 ohm Boges will give you a warmer and harsher hit than a 2.5 ohm Boge. Higher nicotine concentrations and higher PG concentrations also contribute to throat hit.

Back to the OP, there are several different cartos being marketed as Vision Clearos. If you could post a link to where you bought them from it will make it easier for others to help you troubleshoot them.

Needless to say, I am typing from my phone and am not in front of a pc right now, so I'm not sure about copying a link... however, I purchased them from a reputable vendor on this forum.

How about that blue foam filler? Since this is an old way of doing things... Is there another filler for the cartridges now? I really do like the feel of what I have now, just don't like having to top off so often, and not fond of the leaking. If I could find a solution for those two issues..... I WILL BE A VAPING FOOL!

hairball

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    For those of you who are still struggling to quit, hang in there. Your body is still detoxing from all the garbage in cigs. Drink lots and lots of water to help flush your system and keep you hydrated.

1. Have you ever tried the blue filler material? What are your reviews?

Yes I did when that idea first came out. Use Marineland type U. Works well once you know how tight/loose to fit the foam into the cartridge.

2. What a pain in the keister with refilling these carts, leaks, etc. Any suggestions?

You might consider getting yourself a cheap smoketech DCT (dual coil tank)...or even a J-Tank from electronixstix. I like the j-tank because it will take a Boge cartomizer (might check into getting a box of 2ohm to try). The tanks are great. Simply cut a slot into a cartomizer with a dremel or punch it with a sadle valve (local hardware store). Fill cartomizer, insert into tank, fill tank, put cap on, let sit 20 minutes, and vape away. No need to constantly refill anything. Watch your juice level and refill when empty.

3. And finally.... How much money did you put into your e cig, before you found the perfect match?

I won't even go there...my debit card calls me bad names and it's been a little over 1 1/2 years.

RickMc

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2012
    Fontana, CA
    It depends on the carto resistance and the juice you are using. 2.0 ohm Boges will give you a warmer and harsher hit than a 2.5 ohm Boge. Higher nicotine concentrations and higher PG concentrations also contribute to throat hit.

I was wondering if someone was going to mention cartomizer resistance. :)

The general trend is low resistance...i.e. more watts ("mooore power!"). The answer for you might be less wattage if you are experiencing some of the symptoms you describe. I agree with trying some higher resistance carto's. Some juices behave better at lower wattage, and user tastes vary a ton. Try lowering the nicotine level and also raising the resistance on the carto's you're using. It would be best to do these separately until you home in on what improves the experience.

A KGO with a 2 ohm carto is delivering about 7 watts of power to produce heat. A 2.5 ohm carto lowers that to 5.5. It will seem cooler, and will allow you to take longer (and maybe more satisfying) hits. The vape will be cooler - some people wouldn't like that, but you may.

sandscards

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 6, 2012
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Unfortunately it is a road almost all of us have traveled. Everyone is different and a good setup is different for everyone. It is a matter of trial and error with as much guidance as possible from the gurus on here. Mistakes will be made and that is just part of the learning process. It really goes pretty quick but the first month or two can be tough on the pocket book. For dummies like me that like to try everything it stays expensive. Just listen and try a few different things. I have recommended several friends to start with the Kgo unit and the vision stardusts. About as simple as it gets to start I would think but it sounds like you had some problems with the. I haven't heard of the leaking on the stardusts and they are pretty easy to fill and operate. Good luck and I am sure you will find and settle into you perfect setup. Good luck!

nansc

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Hi ,I tried the blue foam and it tastes like chemicals.I spent about $400.00 dollars to get started(lousy kits etc).I didn't like the bodge carto either.Yes atomizers are a pain in the .....After about a year or so I found the ECHO cartomizers and they really work good.http://www.ecigexpress.com/cartridges-lt-cartomizers-c-36/ego-cartomizer-5-pack-by-echo-p-955
    but I still use atomizers sometimes because I like to change flavors a lot.I smoked over 50 years.Good luck to you.

Last edited:
    Hi ,I tried the blue foam and it tastes like chemicals.I spent about $400.00 dollars to get started(lousy kits etc).I didn't like the bodge carto either.Yes atomizers are a pain in the .....After about a year or so I found the ECHO cartomizers and they really work good.http://www.ecigexpress.com/cartridges-lt-cartomizers-c-36/ego-cartomizer-5-pack-by-echo-p-955
    but I still use atomizers sometimes because I like to change flavors a lot.I smoked over 50 years.Good luck to you.

Will those cartomizers work on my kgo?

dcannon1

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Just a note that I didn't see mentioned anywhere else in this thread, if you're using cartomizers, get a drip tip. Pop the little white cap out and use a drip tip instead. It allows more airflow and puts your lips further away from the filler material. Both of these things mean far less chance of juice in your mouth. It also gets your lips off the carto which can get kind of warm during use and is just more comfortable overall.

I hated cartos until I started using a drip tip with them.

This pic is a standard resistance Boge with an aluminium (I think) drip tip
    DSC_1866.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread