• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

So how do I know when I've burned my carto up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl the heretiK

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Sounds simple, but I haven't burned any out, AFAIK... so, what the heck happens?

Now, I did receive a bad carto from my initial order (which the company I ordered from made good one DESPITE stating on their site that they will not warranty pre-filled carts!)... and I can tell it's bad cuz it's hard to draw on and causes any battery to become inoperable... the batt just doesn't fire...

But is this what I can expect from a spent carto? Or is it a taste thing... what?

:confused:

Karl the heretiK

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Sounds simple, but I haven't burned any out, AFAIK... so, what the heck happens?

Now, I did receive a bad carto from my initial order (which the company I ordered from made good one DESPITE stating on their site that they will not warranty pre-filled carts!)... and I can tell it's bad cuz it's hard to draw on and causes any battery to become inoperable... the batt just doesn't fire...

But is this what I can expect from a spent carto? Or is it a taste thing... what?

:confused:

Okay, 16 views and not 1 reply... maybe I'm not being clear enough...

How do you know when the atomizer-end of the cartomizer is no longer functioning... cuz if you think about it... as long as you keep your wicking moist, there's no reason why you can't use a single cart forever, right?

Why is it nobody seems to know the answer to this?

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Sorry for the late reply

you will know that the atomizer end of the carto is done when you get NO vapor...and NO sizzling sound (not really sizzle just sounds like it)

yes in theory if you keep a cart wet it should last forever, but the thing is you have filling wrapped around the atty and even after washing out a carto the filler will end up getting gunked up so the juice might not soak up like it first did.... that would give you a false sense of being filled and you will get that burnt taste.

hopefully I explained it well... good luck

Karl the heretiK

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Sorry for the late reply

you will know that the atomizer end of the carto is done when you get NO vapor...and NO sizzling sound (not really sizzle just sounds like it)

yes in theory if you keep a cart wet it should last forever, but the thing is you have filling wrapped around the atty and even after washing out a carto the filler will end up getting gunked up so the juice might not soak up like it first did.... that would give you a false sense of being filled and you will get that burnt taste.

hopefully I explained it well... good luck

I understand what you're saying, but even when the carto gets gunked, you still have to consider the wire that goes up thru the filler... AFAIK, that's part of the atomizer, and should, technically, resist the problems of gunking... wouldn't that make the cartomizer a better design?

And do you thing users are getting all they can out of a carto? Seriously, the manufacturer says the carto's should not be refilled... of course they say that... so they can sell more carto's!8-o

Imagine that...

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
I understand what you're saying, but even when the carto gets gunked, you still have to consider the wire that goes up thru the filler... AFAIK, that's part of the atomizer, and should, technically, resist the problems of gunking... wouldn't that make the cartomizer a better design?

And do you thing users are getting all they can out of a carto? Seriously, the manufacturer says the carto's should not be refilled... of course they say that... so they can sell more carto's!8-o

Imagine that...

Oh don't get me wrong... I am only saying the theory of forever... I tell you what I have cartos that lasted what seemed like forever hehe but its not really the atty portion that really is the issue its the filler that gets gunked and that makes it harder for ALL the liquid to get to the atty.

I do admit it is a great design... and I definately wouldn't fallow OEM and toss em after first use hehe

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
USA
For newbies searching the forum with this question:

In my experience, cartomizers will eventually meet one of two deaths:

1. They reach the end of their natural lifespan.
Eventually, the inner mechanisms of the cartomizer wear out and the liquid no longer wicks effectively onto the coil, causing performance to drop off. At some point, this reduction in performance will be noticeable enough that you will choose to retire the cartomizer.

2. They burn out.
This scenario has two causes:
a) Continuing to use the cartomizer past refill time, allowing it to become sufficiently dry.
b) Vaping too hard and too fast. I find this most commonly happens if I have overfilled the cartomizer and become overzealous and impatient.

When a cartomizer burns out, the heat from the coil causes an irreversible chemical change inside the cartomizer. I do not know the specifics of this change, but you WILL KNOW when it happens. The flavor will become harsh and the tissues of your mouth and throat will burn when exposed to the fumes it produces. I recommend immediately discarding any cartomizers that burn out. There is no way to remedy them. Refills at this point will only waste your juice.

Last edited:

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
on a different note, but somewhat related to OP's question...
Sometimes I get a slight burnt taste but vapor is still thick and generous. I take off the rubber cap and see a small brownish/black spot on the filler. Does that indicate that the carto is unsalvagable?
Should I clean it (alcohol, boiling water ...etc.) and try refilling it? or just retire it and save myself the hassle and some juice?

Shadzi

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Oregon
Sometimes I get a slight burnt taste but vapor is still thick and generous. I take off the rubber cap and see a small brownish/black spot on the filler. Does that indicate that the carto is unsalvagable?
Should I clean it (alcohol, boiling water ...etc.) and try refilling it? or just retire it and save myself the hassle and some juice?

I've had that happen a few times - it seems to be 'cooked' eliquid and not burned polyfill. When it gets to that point, I'll usually just chuck the carto into the wash pile, unless it's a liquid that seems to 'cook' dark, like one of my Mojito liquids. It cleans up easy enough.

Shadzi

P-Funk

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
USA

wetclay, that brownish spot is something I have found in cartomizers that I consider permanently changed and unsalvagable. I consider these to be burnt-out.

I have also found the severity of burn-outs to be variable, depending on the amount of heat and dryness in the cartomizer. Sometimes a burn-out leaves nothing more than an mildly unpleasant flavor. Other times it has reached putrescence and has even caused chemical burning sensations in my mouth.

Regardless of the severity, however, there is no going back. Once so affected these cartomizers are never the same again.

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Something I found on another thread somewhere seems to help me with the "gunked atomizer syndrome" when using cartos over and over. I'm not into washing and reusing (too lazy and really, how well does that work?) but this little tool helps keep that hole clear and clean and it seems to take longer before I get that burnt effect.

Its a dental pick made by "GUM", which I was already using!! You get numerous ones in a package, and they come with a tiny, flat snap-shut case that's convenient. The handle is white rigid plastic and the pick end is green with tiny, soft rubber nubs on it. It fits in the hole of the carto at either end and you can move it around in there. It's also good to use if you overfill--- when you blow the excess out into a paper towel, you can use it afterward to get the rest. Then you can wipe the pick off and use it again a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread