So how far down the rabbit hole do I go here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is so weird it might belong in the lounge rather than the mod forum.

so I’ve got this old variable wattage device that I was originally told was an ac->dc and I’ve recently found out courtesy of IIRC @Eskie was only ac OR dc, and is need to rectify and clean the power if I wanted to use it the way I was thinking.

So here’s the question: because it’s gigantic and ancient and huge the thing is technically a mech device. How bad do I want to keep it that way?

There are three ways I know of to rectify ac into dc in order of PITA level:

A diode based full bridge rectifier
A vacuum tube rectifier
A mercury arc rectifier

Building a diode rectifier is fairly simple and cheap. The problem is the device is no longer really a mech.

Using rectifier tubes has aesthetic advantages, can be done with a single tube, and isn’t really any more complicated than the diode solution. It is NOT cheap though. It’s also only kind of mech even though it’s a ton more steampunk.

The total hardcore option:
Mercury arc rectifier. They haven’t made these things for a long long time. They’re unbelievably badass. They last a hundred years, and they glow blue while throwing up weird lightning in a bottle like effects. Very very steampunk, very cool, totally mech, and practically nobody else has got one. 110v is on the low end of what they can do, but it’s what I would be using.

The problem is I’d have to build one and I’m not sure I can. Scientific grade precision glass blowing is required, and that is not a skill I’ve collected.

A full bridge diode rectifier will work. But I kinda want a mercury arc rectifier. This rabbit hole might be too deep.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    > This rabbit hole might be too deep.
    alice.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    You had me at “blue glowing/lightning in a bottle” :headbang:

Go big or go home :thumb:

I have no clue when it comes to these types of things but that does sound seriously freakin’ awesome.
    They are cool. It seems I was wrong about them being quite so old. They appeared around 1901, but it appears the tech isn’t all that different from fluorescent bulbs. Also I found standard vacuum tube mercury bulbs as late as 1954. Called black plate rectifiers. I can pick one up on eBay for $50. They do glow blue but the hardcore sappy awesomeness is the old old stuff.
    upload_2019-5-18_5-33-16.jpg

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Ummmmmm. You know what they say sometimes. Sometimes, to get out of digging your own grave, you have to put down the shovel.

I'm not saying that's the case here but I am saying maybe you should wait for some of the Memorial Day sales and see what you like....

But, that's just me if you really want to do this, go for it I guess. Want to see what it ends up looking like though.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ummmmmm. You know what they say sometimes. Sometimes, to get out of digging your own grave, you have to put down the shovel.

I'm not saying that's the case here but I am saying maybe you should wait for some of the Memorial Day sales and see what you like....

But, that's just me if you really want to do this, go for it I guess. Want to see what it ends up looking like though.

Anna
    I can tell you what it will probably look like.

Big hexagonal brass mechanical wattage regulator the size of a small cantaloupe with probably a decorative metal wire faraday cage around it.

Then either a big glowing blue vacuum tube or something else less normal on top. There will also be some fairly large can style capacitors sprouting from the sides. If I go with diodes the blue bulb will be replaced with a big copper finned heatsink with diodes stick to the bottom.

The power out will be a nylon wrapped power cord with a 510 connector on the end. Possibly several. Not sure about that one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread