So I shrink my Vamo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
OK. Got the pieces from the machinist. THe only modification I had to make was I needed to open the hole for the battery tube a little more to allow the threads to fit through. Otherwise, everything works and I'm totally stoked!

DSCN0765_zps57034af7.jpg

DSCN0767_zpsdc13ea3b.jpg
Looks very nice, I really like it!

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
XfooYen had the parts made by a machinist close to you for $90. This would easily offset the price of a HF drill press, Forstner bits, materials etc. I bet you could go to the same machinist and just have him make another, or if you want to make more stuff, then get the tools. :)

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
I live in the US, California to be precise, where can I get the parts and tools to do this? If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated

The schematics are in this thread. I just printed them and brought them to a local machinist. He made the parts for me. You can make them yourself from the schematics if you like. Many have (as well as the designer of this, Tourlounette). The diagram is all in metric. In the US, you will need 1/4" aluminum plate (bottom plate), 1/8" aluminum plate (top plate), an 8 piece set of Ryobi fostner bits, a drill press with a laser, metal files of varying sizes, a digital caliper, and a lot of patience.

rjeatkrconley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Hell Paso, Texas
My father-in-law, owns a machine shop with a cnc machine. He said it would cost about $600 to make the first one. Programming the cnc machine is EXPENSIVE!!!!! however, the cost drops dramatically after the programming is done and the prototype is approved. He said that if i ordered about 100 of these, the price per unit would be about $35. Thoughts everyone.........
I also need to add that I am not offering a coop, just wondering if the price would be worth it and could they be sold.

rjeatkrconley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Hell Paso, Texas
I was wondering how much the hole above the 510 connection could be expanded to allow the ego threading to be used. My ViVi's screw all the way down on my Vamo. I just know that my ViVis would sit flush and not have any airflow. Might have to drill some air holes it the outer ring on the Vamo. I was also wondering if the Vamos could be sold modified and what a good price would be? Selling them for $100 would not bring much profit, unless I got all the parts wholesale. Hmm....

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Tourlounette,

I want to congratulate you on this excellent design for modding the VAMO. It is elegant, beautiful and practical. Well done!

And the fact that you did it with simple tools is even more amazing!

I don't own a VAMO, but I'm thinking that this is a perfect excuse to get one. A "gunmetal" VAMO with this mod done in brass would look REALLY cool, I think. I may be contacting my local machine shop to get quote for these parts in brass next week...

Thanks for starting this thread, and creating this VERY cool mod. Vapers are such innovative, creative, and resourceful people!

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
My father-in-law, owns a machine shop with a cnc machine. He said it would cost about $600 to make the first one. Programming the cnc machine is EXPENSIVE!!!!! however, the cost drops dramatically after the programming is done and the prototype is approved. He said that if i ordered about 100 of these, the price per unit would be about $35. Thoughts everyone.........
I also need to add that I am not offering a coop, just wondering if the price would be worth it and could they be sold.

At that price, I'd be in for 2 or 3, ESPECIALLY if I could get them in brass or polished aluminum.

And if I could get them in "engine turned" finish in brass, I'd be ALL over that...

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Last edited:

DDD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
NYC

I'd be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread