So... someone explain. Do I need to let "new" juices age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_bUg

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Ontario
Can anyone explain to me what is the point of letting juices age when you get from a vendor? As I'm waiting on my first kit and juices to arrive, obviously I'll be looking to vape it right away (and hopefully within a week, throw out the analogues). Does the flavor just improve over the course of a week? Doesn't make much sense to me.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
Hello :) some e liquids can be vaped as soon as you get them. Others taste gross. When I would get a large juice order, I would try all of the flavors. Anything that tasted nasty got stashed in the closest, and used last. Usually it tastes way better. Kind of gives all the flavoring some time to settle in. There's lots of advice out there for speeding up the process. Shake the bottles daily, leave the caps off over night, and another about a water bath. Stashing it for last is my favorite, because it requires the least amount of effort ;)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It depends upon the juice you ordered.

Some vendors sell pre-prepared juice that was mixed and bottled in advance of your order. These will have had time to steep just sitting in the warehouse waiting to be shipped to your home.

Vendors that don't mix the juice until you actually order it may need time to steep, or might not. Some basic flavors are ready to vape as soon as they are mixed. Others that are more complex may need time to blend together the flavorings for the best taste.

You can always try the juices that you ordered as soon as you receive them. If they are not what you expected, put them aside with the bottle top off overnight, then replace the top, and allow the juice to sit for a few days. Maybe shake the bottle well each day if you think about it.

The more complex flavors generally always taste better after 1 - 2 weeks of steeping. Picture making some homemade chili or a pot roast. The food will taste good if eaten immediately after cooking, but both generally taste better a day or two after it was originally cooked because all of the different components have had time to blend their individual flavors into one.

In my experience, a simple flavor such as a single fruit (not a mix of fruits) or Cinnamon flavor will not require any steeping. But a flavor of mixed fruits, a coffee, or tobacco flavor will benefit from a few days of steeping.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Does the flavor just improve over the course of a week? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Some Flavors improve if they sit for awhile Some Don't. But I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. I would just concentrate on getting off Analogs.

Get you Kit and your e-Liquids. And start Using them. And whatever Flavors you like, buy more of them.

The Key when your First Starting is to Never Run Out of Anything. Have a Backup incase something Fails. And Drink a lot of Water.

the_bUg

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Ontario
hmmm. Seems weird, but I guess it makes sense. I'm relatively certain that the vendor I ordered from will send a pre-mixed so I don't have to worry about this then.

I will be relatively quickly looking to transition to doing DIY, just for the greater flexibility and the fact that I live in, literally, the middle of nowhere and typical shipping time to my doors is 7-10 days.

I made the mistake of only ordering 20ml of juice (I thought this would be plenty)... Now I'm in a panic because I'll likely run out before I can even have more shipped.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
I'm fairly new myself but will try to explain what little I know, and have experienced. MOST juices improve with age. A process that's called steeping. A really good juice will get much better, an ok juice will get a little better and some you may end up pouring down the drain (I did).
From what I understand, some (fruity flavors) are pretty good right out of the mail box but then do get better with time. Others, (many of the tobacco flavors) do take some time (a few weeks?) to hit their peak.

There are many threads here about steeping but from what I've read, when you get your juice, shake it like crazy then remove the cap (and the squirt top). Leave them off for about 24 hours. This allows the alcohol (used in the mixing process and in some of the flavors) to evaporate. Recap, shake and put them in the cupboard. At least once a day shake them like crazy again. If they come in clear bottles, you will notice that the juice may darken over time (that's a good thing!).

If you have nothing else to vape, of course you're going to use them right away. When you find one you really like, order enough that you have a constant rotation going (some to vape, some to steep). If you want to speed up the process, there is a thread going (DIY section ?) about using an ultrasonic cleaner. (got one myself) ;)

I'm sure that someone else will jump in here that has far more knowledge than I as to the what and why.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
the_bUg said:
I made the mistake of only ordering 20ml of juice (I thought this would be plenty)... Now I'm in a panic because I'll likely run out before I can even have more shipped.
The average person consumes (vapes) 3 - 5 ml of juice daily.

Smoking cigarettes was easy. You only needed a pack and a lighter. If you ran out, a store was likely within quick driving distance to get more.

Vaping is more difficult. It requires you to plan ahead and be prepared for the unexpected. As Zoidman pointed out, always have backups (batteries & juice delivery devices) available. Mechanical and electrical devices stop working without warning sometimes. You won't be able to vape if you don't have charged batteries, working delivery devices, or enough juice to last until your next delivery.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
hmmm. Seems weird, but I guess it makes sense. I'm relatively certain that the vendor I ordered from will send a pre-mixed so I don't have to worry about this then.

I will be relatively quickly looking to transition to doing DIY, just for the greater flexibility and the fact that I live in, literally, the middle of nowhere and typical shipping time to my doors is 7-10 days.

The Ability to "Fix" and Sweeten retail e-Liquids I didn't like is what got me into DIY in the First Place. I found I could add a couple of Drops of Flavoring/Sweetener to a Bland Retail e-Liquid and turn it into something that was Very Good.

---

Don't stress too much over not Ordering enough Supplies in the Beginning. It is going to take a couple of Weeks to Figure out What Works, What you Like/Don't Like and How much you need for a given Two Weeks or So.

Better to Push you Quit Date for Analogs back a Little and get All Set Up. Then When you Quit, you Won't have the Stress of Finding Flavors you Like or Running Out while Something is in Transit.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... As Zoidman pointed out, always have backups (batteries & juice delivery devices) available. Mechanical and electrical devices stop working without warning sometimes. ...

NO!

I Firmly believe that All Things Mechanical and Electrical Secretly Conspire Against Us at Night. They Cook Up Plots to Die at the Most Inopportune Times. And go out of their way to All Die at the Same Time if Possible.

;)

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
The "good 'ol boys" got you well covered on this question so...

Hello and Welcome to ECF from a fellow Ontarian.
Congratulations on choosing a healthier alternative to smoking!

There's a lot of unknowns for each of us when we start. We all spent a little or a lot more money at the start finding the best set-ups and flavours we like best. It does take time but usually works(to varying extents) from day one!
Give it a good chance and as one much wiser than me once said..."Trust the Vape"!

Vaping has come a long way in the last year or two and this makes it much easier for the newbs to get going quicker and cheaper than before. Not every new innovation is perfect but is usually/generally much better than the stuff available in the early years of vaping. Watch utube reviews and read around here to find whats hot and what the majority rave about. It doesn't mean it'll work for You but it'll give you a leg up and save you some cash for later, more informed purchases. Evods and Protanks(2.5ohms) work best for me along with a 900mah battery that'll last pretty much all day.
But that's just MY preferences, everyone has different needs and preferences, the hardest part for me at the start was finding mine then finding what "fit the bill". Enjoy your new adventure away from cigs, it's worth the effort!

Which kit and juice did you settle on to try first, if you don't mind me asking?:vapor:

the_bUg

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Ontario
The average person consumes (vapes) 3 - 5 ml of juice daily.

Smoking cigarettes was easy. You only needed a pack and a lighter. If you ran out, a store was likely within quick driving distance to get more.

Vaping is more difficult. It requires you to plan ahead and be prepared for the unexpected. As Zoidman pointed out, always have backups (batteries & juice delivery devices) available. Mechanical and electrical devices stop working without warning sometimes. You won't be able to vape if you don't have charged batteries, working delivery devices, or enough juice to last until your next delivery.

The Ability to "Fix" and Sweeten retail e-Liquids I didn't like is what got me into DIY in the First Place. I found I could add a couple of Drops of Flavoring/Sweetener to a Bland Retail e-Liquid and turn it into something that was Very Good.

---

Don't stress too much over not Ordering enough Supplies in the Beginning. It is going to take a couple of Weeks to Figure out What Works, What you Like/Don't Like and How much you need for a given Two Weeks or So.

Better to Push you Quit Date for Analogs back a Little and get All Set Up. Then When you Quit, you Won't have the Stress of Finding Flavors you Like or Running Out while Something is in Transit.

Thanks for the tips guys. I can't wait to get started, but I guess I will plan on just reducing my analogues until my next order arrives then. I hate to say I "cheaped out" but I did. I was just trying to get my feet wet. Now, because I'm facing 10 bux in delivery fees for each order, I need to make my next order worth my while.

I'll try vaping my 510 starter kit that I ordered for a couple days and if I like it, get some more batteries, if I don't, I'm thinking of going with a T-Rex, or maybe go crazy and get an E-Vic. Maybe order a sample pack and drop another 40 bux or so on various 10 ml bottles of different flavors. As a pack and a bit a day smoker, I'm at 250+ a month on cigarettes (canadian). If I can kick this, I can definitely justify the startup expenses.

I hope once my wife sees how effective a NRT E-cigarettes can be, she will jump on board. I know with the amount I have spent on cigarettes in the last 20 years or so, I could have bought a car, payed off half a home, etc. It really chaps my ....

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the tips guys. I can't wait to get started, but I guess I will plan on just reducing my analogues until my next order arrives then. I hate to say I "cheaped out" but I did. I was just trying to get my feet wet. Now, because I'm facing 10 bux in delivery fees for each order, I need to make my next order worth my while.

Nothing Wrong with what you did. Why throw a Bunch of Money at things Until you Know what Works? I've got a Drawer Full of Stuff that If I had Done a Little More Research on them, I probably Wouldn't have bought them.

You smoked for 20 Years. That's 7,300 Days. You can take a Few More Days to get Set-Up before you Smash-Out that Last Analog and say "Enough is Enough".

Quitting Analogs is Stressful Enough. No need to be Worrying about if a Package is going to Arrive on Time. Or if I am going to Like the New e-Liquid Flavor I just Bought.

Get Stocked up on e-Liquids that you Like. Get your Routine Down of Filling your Cartos/Clearos. And then Smoke your Last Cigarette.

---

BTW - What Nicotin mg e-Liquid did you chose to use?

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL

I'll try vaping my 510 starter kit that I ordered for a couple days and if I like it, get some more batteries, if I don't, I'm thinking of going with a T-Rex, or maybe go crazy and get an E-Vic. Maybe order a sample pack and drop another 40 bux or so on various 10 ml bottles of different flavors. As a pack and a bit a day smoker, I'm at 250+ a month on cigarettes (canadian). If I can kick this, I can definitely justify the startup expenses.

I hope once my wife sees how effective a NRT E-cigarettes can be, she will jump on board. I know with the amount I have spent on cigarettes in the last 20 years or so, I could have bought a car, payed off half a home, etc. It really chaps my ....

If you get into it, do not expect to save any money at first! You will want to try new flavors, new delivery systems, new power sources (as you said evic you know already about step up). Check out FastTech for some cheaper toys and back ups warning, can take 10-14 days to receive.(not sure about getting e-liqs from there into Canada, I hear there are restrictions on what can be shipped into the country). But it's worth it in the end. Especially if you get into DIY, then you will really save.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Initial startup costs can be staggering at first. Once you get your battery devices, charger, and spare batteries in order then its time to experiement to find what YOU like.

Juice delivery devices are all a little different from one another and will have a different vaping experience. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...k-what-primer-juice-delivery-attachments.html

For the most part, these are considered disposable and can only be expected to work for 2 - 4 weeks. Take clearomizers for instance; choose the ones with replaceable coil heads, which is a less expensive way to go about it. When it stops working just replace the coil head, not the entire clearomizer. You can also go to You Tube and find how to clean your clearomizer to prolong its use.

Cartomizers are disposable, and not reusable. They're cheap. You spent $5 - $6 a day on cigarettes most likely and thought nothing about it. Spending $2 for a cartomizer that will last 2 - 4 weeks is a bargain.

Once you have a working setup and replacements for backups, all that follows is the juice. Finding a couple of juice flavors that you really like is probably as important as having a great setup of gear. We tend to recommend new vapors to buy sampler packs to test flavors first before spending big bucks on larger bottles. Once you find some winners, order more in larger bottles. I'm always on the lookout to find new flavors that I might like, although I have around a dozen now that I try to keep stocked at all times.

Once you've got your gear setup and have a couple of favorite juices, you can actually save money from vaping compared to when you smoked. The problem for some of us is that this becomes more of a hobby leading to purchasing new things to try.

Last edited:

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
I firmly believe that ejuice should taste good right out of the mail. It may change a bit over time. Horrible tasting juice may get less horrible, but almost never becomes good juice after steeping. I have a 30ml bottle of MBV RY4 steeping for 3 months and I gag everytime I try and vape this stuff lol. Not to say MBV is bad, just not my cup of tea is all.

the_bUg

Aug 18, 2013
Northwest Ontario
Hi bro, I assume you've tried Canvape they are in Toronto, and should only take a few days to get an order to your door, and they carry just about everything. Hope this helps.

Actually, I ordered from Canadavapes.com on Wednesday. It's not scheduled to arrive through Canada Post until next week Thursday (8 days). I was hugely impressed with their service and response. They got the order shipped same day, about 4 hours after I submitted payment I had a tracking number waiting for me. But going from Toronto, it needs to go all the way east of me to winnipeg before making a probably 2 day trip to me in NWO. So that is what that is.

Mike Sheda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Tampa, FL

Vr6 Turbo

Verified Member
Apr 11, 2013
Orange County
Honestly, your taste buds are still dead from the analogues...u won't notice much difference. Regardless, if they smell like alcohol...leave the cap off over night then shake the next day. Otherwise, if they smell good out of the mail just vape em! When ur taste buds return to their full functioning selves, then some complex juices with layers(I.e vr4 from vape rite or bobas bounty from ave juices) then steeping REALLY makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread