EU Social norms for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebt

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Hi all

I got thinking a lot while commenting on the UK Guardian story about the latest idiotic pronouncement about vaping - in this case, a proposal for a ban in public places in Wales. Guardian story is Electronic cigarettes may face public ban in Wales | UK news | The Guardian; there's also a thread about it in the Media and General News forum.

What got me thinking was another commenter who was wondering what kind of vaping might be accepted, polite and considerate to other people - for example in a restaurant:a very different question from the one we're usually up against, which is whether any kind of vaping is even allowed.
I think that it's difficult to even consider the first question until the second one has been settled (in our favour, of course!). But I thought I'd repost my thoughts here for anyone interested to read and discuss.

Part of the fear that is being (deliberately, IMHO) stoked up about e-cigarettes - though e-cigs are only one example of a widespread phenomenon, whereby every possible social problem "must" be tackled by legislation - is that, without stern and utterly restrictive legislation, non-vapers will be abandoned into an asocial, Mad-Max state where any vaper can come up to them, blow vapour right in their face, and then stare into their eyes while cackling satanically. "If it's not proscribed in law, we're left helpless" is the common way of thinking.

This was never the case even with cigarettes. Smoking tobacco had a rich set of social traditions associated with it - and this included conventions and norms about respecting non-smokers' dislike of tobacco smoke. People disliked smoking, and set and enforced personal rules about their exposure to it (e.g. in their property), long before any of its harmful effects were discovered.

But what the anti-smoking zealots did, very cleverly, was to reframe smoking - anywhere in someone's vicinity, even outdoors! - as the same kind of boorish, aggressive assault as walking right up to someone and blowing smoke in their face. As a result people no longer react to smoking with an appeal to courtesy ("Please could you smoke further away from me, it's bothering me"), but with outrage and appeal to authority. The smoker is no longer an equal who can be negotiated with, but someone guilty of assault. The only solution to smokers' behaviour, according to this new social convention (or rather, destruction of social conventions) is legal sanction.

This, folks, is the wonderful "climate" health campaigners have set up, and are so anxious to preserve. We're now dealing with the consequences of this, so that it's become very difficult to mutually (between vapers and non-vapers) come up with a social code for vaping which allows everyone to get along. It's the zealots' own fault. In their arrogance, they destroyed a valuable social tradition, and replaced it with a climate of fear and hatred. How poor and impoverishing their thinking is is illustrated by the disappearance of the infinite range of smokers - the occasional smoker, the light smoker, the heavy smoker, the considerate smoker, the inconsiderate smoker - in favour of a single, simplified hate-figure: the Smoker, full stop. In parallel with this impoverishment, there's an impoverishment of reactions from non-smokers: asking, talking, demanding, listening have been replaced with one, automatic reaction: it's Wrong, it's an Assault on My Health, and (in many places) it's also Against the Law (and if it isn't, it Should Be).

So vapers (including me) are angry and militant, because something that does no harm to anyone else is being treated like a crime of assault, rather than as an activity that is amenable to polite negotiation between people. And all but a tiny minority of us are ex-smokers, who thought we could finally stop being made to feel like sinners or criminals - only for the long arm of the "public-health" guilt-machine to reach out and tar us with the same brush they'd used on smokers.

Sometimes I think some vapers are being too aggressive in asserting their right to vape anywhere, and blow the vapour anywhere. But on the other hand I understand where they're coming from, and often feel the same way. They, and me, are reacting aggressively to a "climate" in which bystanders are encouraged to react aggressively to anything that looks like smoke; and to a political environment where we feel constantly under threat of an unjustified, ridiculous ban. First in this place, then in that place, then in that other place...

The one thing that "public-health" idiots could do to allow social norms about vaping to be developed is to shut the **** up and stop spreading lies about the harmfulness of vaping. (I'm not starry-eyed enough to imagine that they might actively speak out about the harmlessness of vaping to bystanders, to encourage social norms to develop). Then non-vapers could relax, think about their own preferences and comfort about large, small, or middling amounts of vapour around them (rather than panicking about CATCHING CANCER) in various situations (outside, drinking inside, eating inside). Vapers could then assert their right to vape while negotiating with non-vapers; a compromise would be found in each situation.

I think the development of this kind of socially-agreed, well-functioning norm is the thing the "health" zealots fear most of all. This is what is behind their rhetoric of "renormalisation". Their campaign against smoking was always a limitless Kulturkampf, rather than a scientifically-based health education campaign. Because they were allowed to succeed, they inevitably also succeeded in subverting and destroying a portion of the normal, organic functioning of society. And now they stand against society; it's becoming clearer and clearer that they actually hate society (imagined as what people create between each other at the grassroots level). A community of vapers and non-vapers getting along without annoying each other too much is a threat to their authority, because this authority rests on the idea that society is broken and urgently needs to be "fixed" with radical measures. So, I wonder, what can we do, beyond fighting legislation, to make this community come about, and really defeat the zealots?

Your thoughts/disagreements/agreements welcome!

ed2eva

Mar 24, 2010
Barton-UK
Couldn't agree more sebt, I too am fed up with these health fanatics who are merely control freaks. The real insult is that they impose their misguided ideas, not crediting any body else with any sense of common decency as you say.......think I read something like this about the members of a certain political party in pre-war Germany.
There are more than a million of us vapers in this country now and surely this will be enough clout to promote good publicity to silence this lot for they haven't a shred of real evidence to substantiate what they are trying to do. If anything, I note that the news media are beginning to lessen their condemnation of e-cigs and openly admitting they are much safer than smoking analogs. What really is at issue here is the interference with individual human freedom.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I totally agree with you! You are a person with common sense and you exercise common courtesy with your words.

I couldn't help but remember that back in the day where smoking was still allowed in the workplace, I taught a 3 day workshop on productivity for a major bank. I always had a smoking and non-smoking section during these sessions. I'm sure I was not the only person who practiced this courtesy, yet time proved this was not enough to prevent the "regulators" from banning smoking altogether.

The only way to eradicate suffering the same results with vaping is to push the scientific studies, challenging the bans/regulations in a court of law while, of course, being considerate of other's preferences. This is going to take time, I'm not sure I'll see it in my lifetime as the brainwashing prejudice has been allowed to fester for decades now.

There are a lot of people who feel inadequate about themselves, and it is so easy to use smokers as scapegoats by pushing their "selfrighteous" personal agendas on other human beings. They walk around with such hate in their minds that they pour all of their other issues of hate on smokers/vapers, after all, the governments have declared open hunting season on a portion of society.

I lived through the times of the Civil Rights movement back in the 60's and can't help but see similarities between the racial intolerance of the past and the current atmosphere surrounding smokers and vapers.

It's as if we were stripped of our human rights and personal freedom the first time we lit up a cigarette or vaped an ecig. We compliantly accepted the label of pariahs and murderers and cowered in dark corners to blow smoke in shame. This mindset is very difficult to shake, all you have to do is to read the many posts here in this forum of vapers who are afraid and ashamed to vape in public.

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
I think one of the things driving these bans and other intrusive laws is the fact that we have passed the liberty stage and swung back to an authoritarian social model. It used to be that what's not forbidden is permitted, now it what is not permitted is forbidden. We seem to need laws to tell us how to behave more than ever and in the absence of laws we are afraid to do anything. Can't not do something without a law to make them stop, cant do something without checking it aloud by law.
The notion of regulating your own life seems to be long gone. And I'm not sure if this is because our legislators have so little power over things that actually matter that they have created a need where none exists to justify their existence or because we are so fearful of getting it wrong we no longer have the confidence to think for ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread