Soldering Iron Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Just curious what you guys use to solder with? I'm going to be ordering a soldering station within the next couple weeks, and am planning on getting a Hakko 888. I checked with the supplier, and the tip it comes with is a 1.6mm chisel tip. I'm going to be using this station to make some VV mods, so will be soldering lots of though hole components to boards.

Thought I would check and see if this tip should be fine enough, or should I order a finer one?

TIA

Chris

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Really it depends on the person some folks like the chisel tips better and use them all the time. I just use them if i have something big that will sink a lot of the heat like inductors or the outside /ground of battery side atomizer connector. Chisel tips hold more heat so they come in handy for stuff like that.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I went cheap with mine but i needed a rework station because i was doing QFN style chips at that time. They have the solder pads on the bottom. I believe it is just a renamed AOYUE brand station. It has been good to me so far had it for almost a year and a half now
24%20QFN%2005-08-1696.jpg

XT4040_001_Gallery_Nolamp__32677_zoom.jpg

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I suppose I should ask if anyone has any solder recommendations for through hole soldering. I was thinking I'd get a pound of Kester 44 .031" Rosin Core.

If you ask me that would be a perfect size for through hole soldering. If you ever had any medium to large SMD work to do it should work for it too, Although the smaller SMD package sizes might be a bit tricky i use .020 sized solder for it

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Pretty excited as I found a great deal on a soldering station for someone like me. The station includes 2 ft of Kester solder, an extra tip of my choice, and 2 feet of wick. I'm thinking 2 feet of solder will last me awhile, and save me from buying a pound for about 35 bucks. I'll also save 5 or 6 bucks for an extra tip good for through hole work. Thought I'd share the link. I checked out the seller, and he is an authorized Hakko dealer.

NEW Hakko FX888 FX-888 FX888-23BY Soldering Station, Factory Trained Distributor | eBay

DonG

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2010
Jville, AL
Pretty excited as I found a great deal on a soldering station for someone like me. The station includes 2 ft of Kester solder, an extra tip of my choice, and 2 feet of wick. I'm thinking 2 feet of solder will last me awhile, and save me from buying a pound for about 35 bucks. I'll also save 5 or 6 bucks for an extra tip good for through hole work. Thought I'd share the link. I checked out the seller, and he is an authorized Hakko dealer.

NEW Hakko FX888 FX-888 FX888-23BY Soldering Station, Factory Trained Distributor | eBay

Keep in mind that solder is most likely NOT leadfree so u still should get some good silverbearing leadfree solder and flux. The "wick" is for de-soldering and a short piece of fine stranded copper wire works well for the same purpose. I use pieces of lampcord wire for this. Free from the scrap bin.

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
Hi Don. Thanks for chiming in. Honestly, your comment is the first time I heard anyone say anything positive about lead free solder. I have read so many bad comments about lead free solder, I was planning on buying leaded solder anyway. I'm not too worried about exposure as I'll be doing very limited hobby soldering, and will be doing it in a room in my house that is isolated from my wife and cats. I wasn't too worried about the wick, I just think it's great that I can get a couple feet of solder, that I presume I can make several mods with. In shopping around, I've found a pound of decent solder is in the high 20's, and a pound of really good solder is about 35 bucks. Also, I'm thinking a pound of solder would last me all of this life, and most of the next.

Also, the station comes with a chisel tip that's a little big for through hole work, but the seller is offering an extra tip you can choose. He doesn't offer the tip as a freebie that Java recommended to me (T18-D08), but has a similar tip (T18-D12).

I've contacted the seller to ask about the solder he includes (I'm looking for .031"), and the tip selection.

EDIT: Seller replied to me and was very accommodating. He said he wouldn't have a problem including the solder diameter I'm looking for, and also said he would provide the T18-D08 tip for my extra, which he agreed was better for through hole soldering than the ones they had listed on the auction. Just placed my order, I'm psyched to start building some mods, once I teach myself to solder.

EDIT2: Ordered the station, and in about 30 minutes had a ship notification. Woo hoo.

Last edited:

DonG

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2010
Jville, AL
Even 1/4 lb of good solder will build more than a lifetime worth of mods. Leadfree with decent silver content works very well for me with good flux. Leadfree with too much tin can be a pain and i relegete it to plumbing where i can use lots of flux and a torch for heat. Do not like at all for precision joints. I will also note that for soldering anything smaller than 10-12ga wire i prefer solid wire solder so there is not flux constantly melting into the area i am soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread