Something for the soldering challenged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Struct

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Lufkin, TX
I think it's still up in the air as to how much heat the glue can take. It wouldn't have to take a ton, but it would still have to hold up to some.

Not sure if anyone here ever came to a conclusion as to how viable this is when it was last mentioned.

Honestly, I had only soldered ONCE in my life before doing my mod. It wasn't hard at all. If I can pick it up, anyone can.

MisterPuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2009
Oklahoma City, Ok. U.S.A
I own a bunch of wire glue for non-ecig-related projects, the stuff is great.... up to a point. Conducts great, doest burn out on sustained charge ect. However it does degrade over time as well as having many issues with how you use it. temp, moisture ect ect.

While I would rate it as excellent for quick repair use, i wouldnt ever recommend it for something as a final use soldering agent, nor would i trust it in something Im putting up to my face to turn on.:|

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I keep hearing about people who can't do the mods because they don't solder. I just ran across a "wire glue" which might be useful for some applications. I found it at ThinkGeek :: "Wire Glue" Conductive Glue

Hi Sunshyn,

Yes, The Wire Goo Is good for some applications but not all and be sure to keep it away from switches (same as crazy glue). It is definitely a tool for the tool box!

OK How bout Real Soldering: For The People Interested In Learning How To Solder, They Have Soldering Practice Kits for $10.00 and Up.

I saw one for like $20.00 at Udoit.com or something like that, they have a store U do it electronics,in needham, ma.

The Generic Soldering Practice Kit includes a generic soldering iron, solder, some practice boards, LEDS, Small Projects, etc. So You Can Get Some Real Easy Hands On Soldering Practice!

I would say the Soldering Practice Kit it is great for people you wanna start soldering, ie practice & learn with instructions & some cool kits.

You might wanna do a google for a Soldering Practice Kit or something similar.

Good Luck To All & Please Read The Instructions!

Keep Vapin!

vslim

Feb 19, 2009
Houston TX
These are my tips about soldering from another thread--you also might want to get some desoldering wick to get rid of excess solder from the join.

A couple of hints for soldering--always have a damp paper towel on hand--it serves many purposes--

Use it to wipe off extra solder from the tip
Use it to drip water to cool a just-soldered connection to cool it fast, or just touch a wet twist to the piece
Use it to cool your finger-thumb-hand after you have paid the Soldering Gods with the obligatory burn
After you finish the piece and are inspecting/fooling around with it, the paper towel will dry out and catch fire to remind you you forgot to unplug the iron. :evil:

Also-- put a strong broccoli-type rubber band around the grips of your needle nose pliers to make a gripping tool so you aren't chasing the piece around while trying to solder it.
Wait awhile to be sure the iron is totally hot before starting. Use skinny solder. Consider pre-tinning the piece and the wire to make the final joint faster. You are supposed to make a good mechanical connection before you solder the joint, but that isn't always possible. You may wish to make wires a bit longer and solder outside of your box rather than soldering in place, so you don't melt your box and can remove the circuit later in case you want to change it.

MisterPuck

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2009
Oklahoma City, Ok. U.S.A
Also-- put a strong broccoli-type rubber band around the grips of your needle nose pliers to make a gripping tool so you aren't chasing the piece around while trying to solder it.

third_hand_parts_holder.jpg

Magnification clip man-shaped thing. Know it, use it, love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread