Sorry, but need help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wickedwench

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2012
Toledo
Sorry, folks, but I need answers faster than I can pour through all of the great info you all worked hard to get together. I apologize for my hobnail boots, but I promise its for a good cause!
My mother smokes 2 packs a day and has for almost 60 years. She is very set in her ways, proud, and almost blind.
Using my ego batteries and some resurrector cartos, I've got her to start trying vaping. Her desire for low throat hit I answered with VG juice. She was testing at 6 mg but wants more nicotine.
I filled a couple cartos and charged a couple batteries for her before I went home last night. This morning I found the carto & battery together, having been thrown for distance. She went to take a toot and the carto spit a glob of hot juice that burned her lip. Now she's crying like it did it on purpose. This is the second time she's had this happen. She's on a fixed income. Tobacco is too expensive, but if she gets hurt again, I'll never get her over to vape!
Any & all help needed! Thank you!

ninjuh

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2012
Northwest Idaho
Tie a lanyard to the device & attach to your Mom. That way when she throws it, it is still within reach :)

Joking

Honestly, get her a bunch of different colored stardusts, none of the dark colors cus then she'll complain she can't see the liquid.

My mom is in her 60's & this is how I got her off cigs. She likes the stardusts. Just make it a point to tell her they work great as long as she keeps them clean & wipes it down from time to time.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
IMHO a 2 pack a day smoker at 6 mg is not going to work, and she is hitting too hard on that carto. As for burning her, I find that a bit of drama on her part. I have never had juice be hotter than my coffee on my lip. You did set her up with a drip tip? Teach her to inhale more slowly into her mouth, then to inhale. And UP that nicotine to something more appealing so she won't suck the crap out of it! When I had only 12 mg, I sucked the crap outta of it with no joy. I found 18 to work for ME, ymmv.

She might also do better with a vivi which will last her longer. But not if she has another tantrum and throws it.

Last edited:

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Yea, I agree witih vsummer that your mom needs higher nic. Hell, I was smoking about a pack a day and had withdrawals when I started vaping at 16 mgs. Admittedly the feel on the throat at first is unusual and some juices are better than others as far as throat hit goes. She really needs 18 mgs. I can't even be satisfied at 6 mgs. and I've vaped over a year. I tried to get down to 8 mgs. but just couldn't do it. I'm back up to 12 now. It's possible that if she is laying down her battery, the juice is puddling up in the drip tip more than usual. If that's the case, she needs to keep it standing up so the juice doesn't puddle up in the drip tip.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Agreed with others, the nic is WAY to low! I also agree regarding Stardusts or Mini Vivi Nova. No spitting, easy to see how much juice is left and easy to fill etc. I second the lanyard too lol. Make sure to teach her to take slow gentle mouth inhales. Non of the hard fast puffs and direct lung inhales, like smoking.

Wickedwench

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2012
Toledo
Thanks, one & all! I knew I was asking in the right place!
She specifically asked to start with a low nic level because when she tried my old 18 ml juice she toked herself lightheaded and heart pounding! She has already asked for a higher strength.
I'm not proud of her temper either, but the burn is real. No blistering, but a bright raised scarlet circle on her lower lip about the size of the drip top of my liquid bottles.
I hadn't considered that she may be toking too much due to low nic levels. I may ask her to hold in the experiment until I get higher nic in.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
At only 6mg. nicotine, she's probably sucking the life out of that carto and that's why she's getting the juice in her mouth. Switch to a simple clearo and jack up that nic to at least 18mg. You might want to get her off that carto until you can get the new clearo and 18mg juice. Try a Phoenix Bottom Coil from Got Vapes. She wont have to tip and twirl which would help her accept it easier. You could fill her clearos for her until one day she wants to do it herself.

Angi2299

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2012
W'ford, TX
Also, you could try a larger capacity horizontal coil carto, like the Echo E. They hold 2+ ml of liquid and are horizontal coil. Having the coil at the bottom of the carto virtually eliminates "spitting" e-liquid. I get mine from Health Cabin, but have seen them on other vendor sites. Get a slightly higher ohm carto, like 2.5ish and it will also reduce throat hit.

She probably isn't concerned with "big plumes" of vapor like some. She is a cigarette smoker and traditional cigs do not put out "tons of vapor" like some of our PVs do. So a KGO type device with a large capacity, horizontal, single coil carto may be a good recipe for success.

At 6mg she must've been vaping like a high speed freight train to get the juice hot enough to burn her lip. I'd also wager she was dripping way too much juice in it, probably to compensate for the amount she was chain vaping.Get her some 12mg stuff with a solid tank like a vivi nova stardust or T2. I personally would recomend the T2 or stardust as the removable tank sleeve of the nova may cause some problems for new vapors. I.e. they are screwing off the cap/taking off a battery, not really paying attention, and boom they unscrewed the tank tube and now there's juice everywhere. But overall a higher nic maybe 12mg and a good easy to use tank would be a good bet.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Sorry, folks, but I need answers faster than I can pour through all of the great info you all worked hard to get together. I apologize for my hobnail boots, but I promise its for a good cause!
My mother smokes 2 packs a day and has for almost 60 years. She is very set in her ways, proud, and almost blind.
Using my ego batteries and some resurrector cartos, I've got her to start trying vaping. Her desire for low throat hit I answered with VG juice. She was testing at 6 mg but wants more nicotine.
I filled a couple cartos and charged a couple batteries for her before I went home last night. This morning I found the carto & battery together, having been thrown for distance. She went to take a toot and the carto spit a glob of hot juice that burned her lip. Now she's crying like it did it on purpose. This is the second time she's had this happen. She's on a fixed income. Tobacco is too expensive, but if she gets hurt again, I'll never get her over to vape!
Any & all help needed! Thank you!

Something I'd like to remind you is that your mom's success at vaping does not depend on you, but on herself. Being a mother myself, my heart was aching for your angst in wanting your mom to be free of cigarette smoking. You're a good daughter for going out of your way to start her vaping, but if she's not willing to give them a good hones try and also learning how to use the different atty's, she's not going to be successful at it.

I agree with everyone, if she smoked a pad+ for decades, 6 mg nic is not going to cut it. If you're using cartomizers they do need to be refilled throughout the day (that's why I vape with tanks). It sounds like your mom is not a patient woman, so you want the least amount of fuss. I've tried clearomizers, but they are so finicky that I get frustrated with the dry hits, leaks and lack of vapor I get from them sometimes, I don't find them to be a consistent vape experience (that is my opinion and I respect anyone else's who swears by them).

Sitting here vaping, and wishing you luck! PS. Just had a thought... maybe the cig look-alikes are a good starting point, you say she's almost blind so it's not a good idea to have her refilling cartos or clearos. Just get her the prefilled cartridges.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I understand where Rosa is coming from. There have been some people (my older brother and my 25 yr-old son, for example) that I have bent over backwards trying to get set up and vaping, and they were lazy and never really got into it. Yet my ex-husband did and I wasn't about to help him at all! lol. For some reason it just seems like you are either a person that really loves the concept, and others that are just real hard-headed and determined to stick with cigs. I have another friend that I've loaned passthroughs to and given juices, etc. She is still smoking despite the nice KGO setup I helped her get.

Something I'd like to remind you is that your mom's success at vaping does not depend on you, but on herself. Being a mother myself, my heart was aching for your angst in wanting your mom to be free of cigarette smoking. You're a good daughter for going out of your way to start her vaping, but if she's not willing to give them a good hones try and also learning how to use the different atty's, she's not going to be successful at it.

I agree with everyone, if she smoked a pad+ for decades, 6 mg nic is not going to cut it. If you're using cartomizers they do need to be refilled throughout the day (that's why I vape with tanks). It sounds like your mom is not a patient woman, so you want the least amount of fuss. I've tried clearomizers, but they are so finicky that I get frustrated with the dry hits, leaks and lack of vapor I get from them sometimes, I don't find them to be a consistent vape experience (that is my opinion and I respect anyone else's who swears by them).

Sitting here vaping, and wishing you luck! PS. Just had a thought... maybe the cig look-alikes are a good starting point, you say she's almost blind so it's not a good idea to have her refilling cartos or clearos. Just get her the prefilled cartridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread