Sparkplug SP2 voltage/battery questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dattmavis19

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Clemson, SC
www.facebook.com
I'm seriously considering getting the Sparkplug SP2 starter kit. Its only $30 and comes with everything, plus juice (that i hear sucks) and a Thermo tube for 6v vaping. I already know i need protected batts, but i have a couple questions about what ones to use for various voltages.

I know its set up for 3.7, need to buy protected batts tho. I can use LR atty with this, correct? what ohm rating?

Is 5v possible? should i use HV or LR atty?

What to use for 6v? again, HV or LR?

Is 7.4 possible (2 3.7v)? Is there even an atty for this? HV? only seen up to 6v HVs, guessing dont use a LR tho...

Thanks for clearing this up for me, i just dont want to mess the thing up. I'm gonna order extra caps so i can make a second PV out of the Thermo tube, and itll be the one running at 5v+.

Also, any suggestions on what voltage would be best on the Thermo setup?

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
For 5.0v vaping, you'll need the 5.0v megladon batt from electronicstix (soon to be also sold by madvapes). For 6.0v vaping, you need a pair of 3.0v cr123a's. For 7.4, you'll need a pair of 3.7v 16340's.

If you're going to use an atty at HV, you need HV attys. For 5.0v, you'll want at the very least 2.8 ohm attys and maybe higher (depends on your taste and vaping style). At 6.0v, you're going to need even higher ohm HV attys.

There are a small handfull of people I read here on ECF who vape at 7.4. You're going to need to jump in to a few threads specific to 7.4v vaping and ask some questions to get the lay of the land.

EDIT: You asked for suggestions as to what might give you the best vape with that mod voltage wise. 3.7v vaping is the easiest because lots and lots of equipment is made for 3.7 and 3.7 18650 batts are cheap and last a very long time. A 2400 mah 18650 batt will last the heaviest vapers I know all day long.

That said, I used to vape 5.0v pretty much exclusively until I got pinned between a fence and a 2800 lb bull and my 5.0v mod suffered extraordinary damage. Then i was back to 3.7 for months. -- Then these new dual coil cartos hit the market a few weeks ago and I bought batts to hit them at 5.0v. I'm not returning to 3.7 for anything but dripping, tanks, and my MAP tanks. My all day stuff is back to 5.0v and it's going to stay that way.

Last edited:

dattmavis19

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Clemson, SC
www.facebook.com
Aren't the dual coil attys low resistance though, like 1.5ohm? I could deff be wrong but i thought i saw somewhere that it was 2 3.0ohm attys wired in parallel making it 1.5ohm.

On the 3.7 though, would the LR or the regular atty be best?

Because ill be making 2 mods out of all this. The regular SP2 @ 3.7v, and another HV out of the thermo tube plus extra caps @ ?v(probably 5 or 6, unless i see something about 7.4 that makes it out to be super amazing)

Cant beat 2 mods, atty, 2 510 adapters, 2 3.7v batts, batt charger, and 32ml of crappy juice(that i can hopefully substitute, even if for a single 10ml) for $50 shipping included ($35 for SP2 kit shipping included, but im adding the needed end caps and extra 510 adapter to make the Thermo tube into a seperate HV mod)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
LR for 3.7v. There are lots of choices out there on those. You can find them all the way as low as 1.5ohms (maybe lower). I don't go much lower than 2.0 ohms while dripping at 3.7, but a lot of people really have a lot to say about how much they like 1.5 or 1.7.

Yes the dual coils are around 1.5 ohm and now there is even a 1.25 ohm. They can take the voltage even though they are LR because of having two 3.2 ohm coils instead of a single 1.5 ohm coil. They double the surface area for where juice meets coil by having two coils. I've run them a lot at 6.0v and that's what I used all day today at 5.0v. -- They are a totally different product and their behavior is far different than any other design right now. So they are sort of in a class by themselves electrically speaking. If you put a 1.5 ohm atty on 7.4 volts, it would pop immediately. These dual coils can handle 7.4v without any immediate physical damage.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Word, no burned taste either?

Matter of opinion. I can scorch juice at 6.0v if I'm not careful to take very short pulls. Thinner juices scorch easier than thicker ones. At 7.4, I have to think pretty much any juice will scorch with the dual coils, but a few people in this thread disagree with me. -- As far as burnt filler: None. The filler in the dual coils does not seem to burn at HV. I've gotten these things crazy hot chainvaping them at 5.0v (I do mean *crazy* hot - blister skin if you touch the outside of the tube sort of hot) without burning any filler or blowing a coil.

dripdaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2011
Lone Star State
Can't speak for the cartos, since i don't use them. I am using a 3 ohm 510 atty on the Thermo at 6v and a 1.5 ohm LR 510 on the Sparkplug. Both produce good flavor and vapor. Use LR atty on 3.7v only.

I don't know if the suggested 5v 18650 for the Megladon will fit the Thermo. The diameter may be too big. 5 Volt NIMH 600mAh Battery for The Meglodon. This battery does not appear to be protected either.

As far as vaping at 7.4 volts, a 4.8 ohm should work fine. High Voltage Atomizers

You won't regret getting the SP2/Thermo kit. I have had mine for 2 weeks now and I love it.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I don't know if the suggested 5v 18650 for the Megladon will fit the Thermo. The diameter may be too big. This battery does not appear to be protected either.

It fits but is a little short (due to not having a protection circuit) so others have been using rare earth magnet spacers. It is a safe chemistry batt so it doesn't need a protection circuit. NIMH cells are individually vented. If you could actually drain one fast enough to cause it to vent, it vents hydrogen (a minute amount - .20 cml or less). if that were to happen, whatever cell vented would then be damaged and unusable, but it would not burst, swell, catch fire, leak dangerous chemicals, or explode.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Yes. they are about 600 mah. And, I've found it impossible to find out the C rating. The C rating varies widely but the flashlight forum guys seem to think that none of them drain slower than a high drain.

I have two of them. One performs way better than I hoped. The other one doesn't. That one that .. well, just sort of sucks... isn't going to stop me from buying more of them though. In fact, I'll probably stockpile a few unless I find a VV that can handle the dual coils at somewhere around 5.3 to 5.6 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread