Status
Not open for further replies.

aine

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
Brookfield, CT
www.eliquidnation.com
Looking to purchase a 5v mod for my DES801. I have a Protege but I really prefer the throat hit from the USB PT (which runs at 5v if I'm not mistaken). Throat hit seems to be the real clincher for me, don't feel satisfied without it. I have two questions. Which mod would be best (and available) and does the higher voltage tend to burn out my attys quicker. Make that three questions, also what about the juice. I've heard of HV juice but is it necessary for these devices? Because I can't use PG and all the HV juices seem to be PG.

Cherice

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Palm Harbor, FL
My recommendation is the Xhaler by Nhaler. You get a variety of voltages including 3.7, 5, 6, and 7.4. And, it is available for purchase now...no preordering or waiting. Higher voltage will burn out your attys faster if you don't allow them to properly cool between vapes. I vape at 5-6v and have not lost either a 510 or 901 atty yet on the Xhaler. Nhaler also has the HV juice you mentioned. What's nice about that is you can use a lower mg nic but still get the throat hit and flavor. It is not a requirement for high voltage devices, but I prefer it. You may find you need to lower your nic mg when you move to a HV mod. Many folks that used 24mg on say a 510, drop it back to 16mg when going high voltage as you seem to get a more concentrated hit of nic. Hope this helps...

NHaler
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-voltages-video-demonstration.html#post825145

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I also own an xhaler and like it. I think you should pick a mod based on what you want in one. Look at the physical size, voltage options, and button placement. I am not going to push the xhaler on you just because I like it. It is the only high voltage mod I own but have a couple other 3.7v mods too. You might want to look at this link which covers most of the popular mods

E-cig News: A run-down of all the big battery model e-cigarettes on the market

I would just recommend trying to make an educated decision. I don't know about you but I don't have enough money to buy all of them to try. Good luck!

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
    Aug 16, 2009
    Southern California
    You're using an 801 atty, which by design operates at a lower temperature then most others. That would be the main reason for your lack of throat hit. It's also the reason why you get such great flavor. But even at 5 volts the 801 still produces a somewhat cooler vapor then others, and still might not do it for you in the throat hit department.

And if you ask on this forum what will be a better atty for you, you'll undoubtedly hear a chorus of 510 fans saying how good the throat hit is, and you should order a 510 right now. Problem with that, is while it does have a strong throat hit, it doesn't have much flavor. Then you'll get a dozen other recommendations for a dozen different models, by people saying how much they love theirs, and you should get this model instead. Basically, most posters will recommend what they love to use, with little regard for your needs. They'll tell you how great the flavor is, and how strong the throat hit is, and blah blah blah blah, it's the best ever, blah blah blah, you have to order one now, blah blah blah. Although they mean well, how many of them have actually used 2 , 3, or 4 different atty's, or even more? At different voltages? How many of those recommendations will come from people who have only used 1, or maybe 2 different models and are fairly new to vaping. Keep in mind, for the most part, a lot of people simply fall in love with their first PV thinking it's the greatest thing ever. Then at some point in the future they move on to something with more oomph.

My point is, you need to find something that is right for you. Something with a better throat hit, but also with great flavor. Because after using the 801, you are spoiled by how good some of those flavors really taste, and you shouldn't have to give that up, to find what you want. If you're lucky, maybe an 801 at 5 volts will do it for you, but consider this a heads up, that it might be time to look at other models, and what they have to offer.

Remember, there is no perfect PV, which is why some people use more then one model throughout the day.:)

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I do agree with what EZ is saying. I own and use different mods with 510,801, and 901 attys. I use different attys for different flavors and only like some liquids with certain attys. It is a bit of a learning curve but has become easier since adapters are readily available to try different attys.

breakfastchef

Moved On
    Feb 12, 2009
    There are only three 5 volt custom battery packs I am aware of: Xhaler, GLV and the Prodigy.

I use penstyle atomizers exclusively and find they perform very well at 6 volts. Rather than limit your search to 5 volt devices, expand out to 6 volts for a real buffet of fun devices. In fact, I do like the DSE801 atomizer a five volts, but I blow them way too quickly at 6 volts. At the higher voltage, the BE112 (BestEcig) is top of the heap for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread