Spring loaded contact pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Tweed

Apr 22, 2019
Hey guys hope you all good today.
I am currently making a stabwood box mod and I am stuck with making my battery contacts spring loaded, I have found these "spring loaded contact pins" but these in the link I have provided are rated at 9amps. I am not very confident on the electrical side of things so I hope someone could advise if 9amps is not even close to what I need, or would these 9 amp pins be ok because the current isn't continuous in a mod?

The chip I will be using will probably be the dna 250, will the answer to my question depend on how high in watts the mod can go?

https://www.newark.com/mill-max/0871-0-15-20-82-14-11-0/contact-spring-flat-10-16mm/dp/46X8067

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Oh I see, thanks for the reply. I looked on my 18650 batteries and noticed one set is 20amps each and my other set are 35a each so I assumed I needed to aim for them figures lol
Hi and welcome,
The 35A battery is not to be trusted.
There are no 35A 18650 batteries suitable for our uses.

Watch your speed Mr. Jones...

Cheers
I

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
9amps is a lot. A standard household power circuit breaker in the US is 15amp. Think of it maybe as 9000ma

So how many amps are needed for a 40watt output (light bulb) at 110V? (.36A)
What would be the resistance of the filament in the bulb? (over 300Ω)

OP: your components need to be able to handle the maximum amount of current that could "potentially" be used by the system. If you plan to use the contacts as a safety fuse of sorts, I would suggest something closer to approx 80% of your batteries maximum amp load.

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So how many amps are needed for a 40watt output (light bulb) at 110V? (.36A)
What would be the resistance of the filament in the bulb? (over 300Ω)

OP: your components need to be able to handle the maximum amount of current that could "potentially" be used by the system. If you plan to use the contacts as a safety fuse of sorts, I would suggest something closer to approx 80% of your batteries maximum amp load.

Cheers
I
This post made me look up the resistance of 40w incandescent light bulbs. Their resistance apparently changes dramatically with temperature. When cold that light bulb could be as low as ~65ohm. When hot 300ohm could actually be low.

I guess some questions start to become more important:

Is this a mech or a VV mod?
Does the connector use the spring as part of the circuit?
I have never had a VV mod that didn’t have a spring loaded battery holder, however most mechs don’t have them because they tend to create more resistance. Mechs seem to tend towards gigantic all copper connectors where the spring, if there is one at all, is not part of the circuit, or if it is is some gigantic bent brass plate.

Also:
Which battery connectors exactly?
Getting an eye on these things might help.

UPDATE:
found the data sheet pdf which actually has an illustration of the pin internals. The spring is indeed the connector, and it’s tiny. Using this connector in a mech strikes me as a bad idea simply because the resistance would be pretty high.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks for the info guys. So, would this item in the link be unsuitable for what I need?

It's so confusing lol

Will this be your first time building a mod?
Perhaps a "KIT" that needs assembly might be a better first project.
Or something basic like a mech squonker.

Protip: if this IS your first project; Triple the estimated cost, quadruple the estimated time and expect a 10 fold increase of your frustration level.

Best of luck
I

Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I never thought about the spring so good thinking on that one. It is a VW mod so would these be ok?
Looking at the data sheet again I’m noticing it’s listing as a surface mount part which implies it’s tiny. Telling the actual size of the thing is difficult for me because while they have measurements, the scale of those measurements is not listed. If it’s as small as I think it is though the thing was likely designed for button style hearing aid batteries and is totally inappropriate for powering a mod. I could be very wrong of course.
The spring loaded battery contacts I find in VV mods are generally greater than a quarter inch across and this thing seems to be a fraction of that.

Richard Tweed

Apr 22, 2019
Yes they are very small but larger ones are available which are insulated as well. I have the mod machined out and ready to go, I am a cnc operator by trade but I started my machining apprenticeship on manual mills and progressed from there. Electricity has always been my weak point so I try to steer clear of this but I am very eager to learn. I don't have to have the spring loaded setup but I just think it is the way to go to get o proper connection without using them brass battery tubes. I have designed my own battery door too.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
You seem to be looking for the type of contacts that come in mods from retailers like smok and so on. Good luck because I have been trying to track them down for a couple of years. Seems they are made only for commercial use and not available to the general public. If you are planning to use a DNA250 why not just use a lipo. The 250 works great with a 3S lipo. While I do occasionally build a mod with standard battery sleds I generally build DNA's with lipo batteries as they have excellent built in chargers and are not really intended to have removable batteries anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread