Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
My question is, which battery orientation would be safest for these mech squonkers?
Does it even really matter? (I already know they will work either way, I'm talking about in terms of safety)
Is there a reason manufacturers label them positive down?

I have been thinking about the orientation of most mech squonk boxes. Most have it marked to put the positive down. This seemed a bit off to me, and my train of thought told me that it was safer to put them in positive up. This is because, on the off chance a metal squonk bottle lid touches the contact (button side) and touches the battery can (should it wear through the battery wrap over repeated contact or the wrap is damaged there) it would not dead short. Sure, this would be a very low chance of it happening, but I just felt it would be safer positive up, just in case.

I tried searching here, and on google, but came up with nothing. I would appreciate some opinions on this subject.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
That orientation represents a large increase in risk for little advantage

sDRX2p4.png

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Batteries vent from the positive. I’d sooner have that aimed towards the ground than my face. Having said that, the risk is practically zero if you just build correctly.

Quite a few mods insulate the contact to prevent what you are saying.

With a squonk box, I don't think a battery will vent through the body of the mod all that easily since it cannot build up much pressure inside the mod with the squonk windows, it's going to be coming out the doors at your hands most likely.

I know that some do insulate the contact on the button side, but with a battery positive up, that's not even needed.

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
That orientation represents a large increase in risk for little advantage

sDRX2p4.png
That is a tube mod. Not even the same at all... The energy does not flow through the body of a squonk box, so the battery is isolated and not surrounded by a polarity.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Although it could happen, the risk is very small. You would need to have a damaged wrap, a metal cap on the bottle, a non insulated contact strip, and a strip incorrectly adjusted so that it contacts the cap and the battery at the same time. If you are concerned use a bottle with a delrin cap.

Yeah, I know. My most used bottles are almost all ultem topped except a couple. And I have seen more uninsulated contact bars than insulated. I ended up wrapping a few of mine myself. I have also seen bottles with metal tops come with mods that make contact with both battery and unisulated contact bar, which is what got me thinking in the first place.

I already stated that it would be a rare occurance, so I know it is not a huge concern.

My main question is why are they set up positive down? I assume it is because that is what polarity is easiest to make the center 510 pin positive, and the 510 plate negative.

I will continue to run mine positive up, because I feel it is a bit safer, but I was just wondering the reasons behind it.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
My recommendation is generally to follow the recommendation of the manufacturer of your specific mod used. One would hope that they know what is the safest battery orientation to use with their product design.
I have seen the exact same set up labeled both ways from different manufacturs. This is another reason I brought this up. There really isn't a standard direction all manufacturers suggest.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have seen the exact same set up labeled both ways from different manufacturs. This is another reason I brought this up. There really isn't a standard direction all manufacturers suggest.
Might be a good question to direct to @Mooch since he is our battery expert.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My recommendation is generally to follow the recommendation of the manufacturer of your specific mod used. One would hope that they know what is the safest battery orientation to use with their product design.
I have no idea, it depends on the mod and how it’s constructed. The manufacturer of the particular mod would, I hope, have a recommendation.
Ahhh, just as I originally said. ;)

Reactions: Zaryk

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Hot gas spewing into my face isn't exactly what I consider an advantage, just like using a squonker/bottle that has a tendency to leak in the first place.
But mileage may vary of course.
My squonkers don't have holes in the top, especially in the contact plate, so I don't think the gas will be directed through the top. Maybe after it melts the contact plate and through the top of the frame, but i dont think i would be holding it to my face that long. There are a lot of mods that have battery up orientation.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TrollDragon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread