standard/sub ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly
is it possible to use standard ohm coils (if available) in my eleaf pico w/melo 3 tank. i'm a beginner and have never vaped, haven't even received my kit yet. it should be here within a week. i am, however a pack a day smoker wanting to end cigarettes. i'm not sure if dtl will work for me but i can adapt. i'm curious if mtl is possible with my device. however, vaping has got to be better, cheaper and tastier than smoking so i will make the switch regardless of my gear choice.

Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC Starter Kit Features
  • Dimensions: 23 x 45 x 70.5mm
  • Output mode: VT-Ti / VT-Ni / VW / SS-Stainless Steel / TCR / Bypass Mode
  • Output wattage: 1 - 75W
  • Resistance range: 0.05 - 1.5 ohms for VT mode
  • Resistance range: 0.1 - 3.5 ohms for VW / Bypass Mode
  • Temperature range: 100 - 315C / 200 - 600F
  • Battery: 1 x 18650 (Not Included)
  • Firmware Upgradeable
  • Tank Capacity: 2ml
  • Top Fill System

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
is it possible to use standard ohm coils (if available) in my eleaf pico w/melo 3 tank. i'm a beginner and have never vaped, haven't even received my kit yet. it should be here within a week. i am, however a pack a day smoker wanting to end cigarettes. i'm not sure if dtl will work for me but i can adapt. i'm curious if mtl is possible with my device. however, vaping has got to be better, cheaper and tastier than smoking so i will make the switch regardless of my gear choice.

• Firmware Upgradeable
  • Top Fill System

The Melo 3 is a sub-ohm tank mostly for DTL vaping, I haven't tried it myself as I do MTL. However, you can buy whatever atty you prefer for the Pico 75W. The only consideration is it be 22mm width (or narrower), or it will interfere with the battery compartment. For MTL and replaceable coils, I like the Zenith (coils available in .5, .8, and 1.6 ohm), but I'm sure you will get many more recommendations. In light of the regulatory situation, you may want to try something with rebuildable coils as opposed to drop-in. It's not very hard to learn, and wire is cheap.

Congrats on the Pico, one of my favorites! And congrats on the decision to switch. It's been 9 years for me, you can do it!

Edited to add: The reason the Melo is DTL is airflow. For MTL you need to have a more restricted airflow, which I don't think the Melo has.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

• Firmware Upgradeable
  • Top Fill System
Hi F,
I am not a fan of the bundled tanks Eleaf/Joyetech/wismec include with their kits.

Have a look around here : Search Results for Query: melo 3 tank | E-Cigarette Forum

You can reduce the airflow with a vape band or something similar that will manually block a portion of the openings at the bottom of the tank.

HTH
I

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly
The Melo 3 is a sub-ohm tank mostly for DTL vaping, I haven't tried it myself as I do MTL. However, you can buy whatever atty you prefer for the Pico 75W. The only consideration is it be 22mm width (or narrower), or it will interfere with the battery compartment. For MTL and replaceable coils, I like the Zenith (coils available in .5, .8, and 1.6 ohm), but I'm sure you will get many more recommendations. In light of the regulatory situation, you may want to try something with rebuildable coils as opposed to drop-in. It's not very hard to learn, and wire is cheap.

Congrats on the Pico, one of my favorites! And congrats on the decision to switch. It's been 9 years for me, you can do it!

Edited to add: The reason the Melo is DTL is airflow. For MTL you need to have a more restricted airflow, which I don't think the Melo has.

(from description) The Mellow 3 ...a hidden adjustable airflow system,

since this lists an adjustable airflow, i'm assuming i can at least mimic a mtl draw. i'm wondering if the taste and throat hit and nicotine delivery would be attainable with this sub-ohm kit.
I've ordered juice with 75vg/25pg 12mg nic.

can you tell me what these specs reference?
Resistance range: 0.05 - 1.5 ohms for VT mod
Resistance range: 0.1 - 3.5 ohms for VW / Bypass

thank you,
signed, pain in the ....

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
(from description) The Mellow 3 ...a hidden adjustable airflow system,

since this lists an adjustable airflow, i'm assuming i can at least mimic a mtl draw. i'm wondering if the taste and throat hit and nicotine delivery would be attainable with this sub-ohm kit.
I've ordered juice with 75vg/25pg 12mg nic.

can you tell me what these specs reference?
Resistance range: 0.05 - 1.5 ohms for VT mod
Resistance range: 0.1 - 3.5 ohms for VW / Bypass

thank you,
signed, pain in the ....

The draw probably won't adjust down far enough for a tight MTL, but who knows, you may still like it. Everyone likes something different. Throat hit and taste, I'm not certain, since I don't vape that way, and don't know what juice you have. The juice for sure will work with your setup though.

The specs refer to Variable Temperature mode (VT) and Variable Wattage mode (VW) and bypass (using the mod while plugged into a charger). I don't use variable temperature mode, I use wattage. Lower ohm coils are generally vaped at a higher wattage, higher ohm at lower. The variable temperature adjusts the watts to get you a specific vape temperature based on your coil resistance. The resistance ranges refer to the range of ohms for coils you can use in each mode.

Hope this helps!

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly
The draw probably won't adjust down far enough for a tight MTL, but who knows, you may still like it. Everyone likes something different. Throat hit and taste, I'm not certain, since I don't vape that way, and don't know what juice you have. The juice for sure will work with your setup though.

The specs refer to Variable Temperature mode (VT) and Variable Wattage mode (VW) and bypass (using the mod while plugged into a charger). I don't use variable temperature mode, I use wattage. Lower ohm coils are generally vaped at a higher wattage, higher ohm at lower. The variable temperature adjusts the watts to get you a specific vape temperature based on your coil resistance. The resistance ranges refer to the range of ohms for coils you can use in each mode.

Hope this helps!
'The resistance ranges refer to the range of ohms for coils you can use in each mode.'

many thanks, iron molly, it helps a lot

i understand, if find standard ohm coils that fit, i can use them for specific modes. VT/VW

furthermore, if i got this tank would it be compatible. it lists a 1.6 ohm coil.

Innokin Zlide Sub-Ohm Tank Features
  • Dimensions: 22.0 x 50.5mm
  • Construction: Stainless Steel
  • Utilizes Zenith Coil System
  • PLEX 3D 0.6 ohm Mesh Coil
  • Filling: Sliding Top Fill System
  • Airflow: Bottom Adjustable Airflow
  • 4 Airflow Pinholes
    • 1 x Zlide Sub-Ohm Tank
    • 1 x 0.48 ohm Zlide Replacement Coil (Pre-Installed)
    • 1 x 1.6 ohm Zenith Replacement Coil
    • 1 x Replacement Drip Tips
    • 1 x Replacement Parts
    • 1 x User Manual

• Informative
Reactions: Baditude

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
'The resistance ranges refer to the range of ohms for coils you can use in each mode.'

many thanks, iron molly, it helps a lot

i understand, if find standard ohm coils that fit, i can use them for specific modes. VT/VW

furthermore, if i got this tank would it be compatible. it lists a 1.6 ohm coil.

Innokin Zlide Sub-Ohm Tank Features
  • Dimensions: 22.0 x 50.5mm
  • Construction: Stainless Steel
  • Utilizes Zenith Coil System
  • PLEX 3D 0.6 ohm Mesh Coil
  • Filling: Sliding Top Fill System
  • Airflow: Bottom Adjustable Airflow
  • 4 Airflow Pinholes
    • 1 x Zlide Sub-Ohm Tank
    • 1 x 0.48 ohm Zlide Replacement Coil (Pre-Installed)
    • 1 x 1.6 ohm Zenith Replacement Coil
    • 1 x Replacement Drip Tips
    • 1 x Replacement Parts
    • 1 x User Manual

Yes, it will be. Same maker as the Zenith I mentioned, and takes the same coils.

Here is some info on how VT works: A Beginner's Guide to Vaping with Temperature Control [2018]

I don't use it, so not very familiar with the ins and outs.

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
I have the Innokin Zlide, I prefer the .48ohm plex 3d coil, for me it provides a loose mtl draw. I haven't tried the 1.6 ohm coil yet. I don't consider the Zlide to be a dtl coil/tank.This is the only mtl tank in my rotation(I like dtl), but I like this quite a bit.

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
Did you buy batteries for your mod yet? You will want two, one to use while one is on the charger. Here is a chart of recommended batteries: 18650 Battery Ratings Table | E-Cigarette Forum

And you'll need a charger. Mooch's blog (here on ECF) and videos are highly recommended for battery safety and knowledge.

toneman2121

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2019
philly
Reactions: Iron Molly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread