Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Depends entirely on what you mean by “best”. That’s something which is entirely subjective.

As a result this is a point of great contention amongst some here.
As I have been given to understand (and as a result seem to have been put on @dripsters kill list or something. The dude has a serious mad on about this concept) the “increased surface area” created by an exotic coil is actually somewhat minimal, because the coil sits on top of the wick rather than in it. There is some capillary action, but it is more limited than sometimes advertised. What an exotic coil mostly does, according to what I’ve read here, is heat chamber air. This seems to have an effect on flavor character, so it’s not nothing. Some find it more important than others. It also has costs. The coil is less efficient at producing vapor for its energy use (because it’s heating more than juice) which means power use is heavy and battery life is short.

This is one current opinion. You will no doubt get others which may or may not mention a tendency by myself to eat babies or something.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Don’t understand this. Staple (8*0.1mm*0.3mm flat ) What does the 8 represent?

@bombastinator has an interesting perspective on this. Although I don’t totally disagree…. I do think he is using the same brush to paint all exotic (as it is put) coils. No offense bomb but a tad biased.

What is the metal used within these coils. And the full spec of the Staple? Won’t be able to tell you which taste better, that’s impossible, but will be able to give you an idea which employs a lower mass which is beneficial to how efficient (not taste) they are.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
@Punk In Drublic I can understand, when I first ventured into the exotic coils I was totally confused. Ended up talking to a coil/wire builder at a vape convention in Vegas to get some schooling. Funny thing is after all the experimenting with exotics I mainly use single strand, spaced SS coils in TC.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@Punk In Drublic I can understand, when I first ventured into the exotic coils I was totally confused. Ended up talking to a coil/wire builder at a vape convention in Vegas to get some schooling. Funny thing is after all the experimenting with exotics I mainly use single strand, spaced SS coils in TC.

Yes, there are so many renditions it’s difficult to keep track. I was concentrating too much on the wrap, which I personally feel is important, that I completely missed that it was 8 cores. LOL!

There are functional exotics that vary between low and high mass, what works best is subjective. And there are also what I refer to as coil art. Much of this is not functional at all but displays a level of creativity and skill from the maker/designer. I envy them…I do not have the eyes nor the patience and I am pretty sure I lost my dexterity at the bar!

I use a lot of low mass Fused Claptons with my builds. Perhaps not for everyone, but they are certainly not the power hungry monster heaters mentioned above (looking at you @bombastinator;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread