Started running before learning to walk... need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I started with Halo ecigs sometime ago then moved to their triton line. I loved their products and haven't had a smoke since I got my halo g6. After sometime of living in my "halo bubble" and enjoying their products I discovered the world of serious vaping. Long story short: I got too ambitious without learning what I need to know. I recently ordered the following things after watching a few youtube vids:

1)smpl clone by a-mod
2)aspire atlantis (I watched a you-tube vid where his setup was on a smpl...)
3)Samsung inr 25r batteries.

My questions are:
1)While waiting for them to arrive I did some reading and have seen that I SHOULD NOT use the atlantis with the smpl correct? Even if I get a battery that isn't flat?

2)When I do pick an RBA, what coil ohm would be best suited for these batteries? Or provide a link to a thread for me to read? (I've watched builds and plan on doing A LOT more research, but I was thinking of picking up some pre-made coils for do a dual coil setup to start vaping before doing my own coils)

*If I indeed can't use the atlantis with the smpl, then I need to get-to-learnin about and using an RBA to vape with my mech...

FYI please don't start dumping on me about not knowing anything about sub-ohm vaping, I want to learn, and would never start building setups all willy-nilly and being unsafe. Looking forward to hearing back from anyone.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum Spolar. Glad to have you here!:)

Can't speak to the **possible** issue of using the Atlantis on a hybrid mod as I don't have one and don't know if the pin on the Atlantis is too long.

If you are new to mech mods and rebuildables I highly recommend you spend some time with Baditude (one of our resident battery experts) and visit his blogs. You are now 100% in control of your own safety (and others around you). Make sure you purchase an ohm reader and a voltmeter or DMM so you can measure your builds, check for shorts and measure the remaining charge on your batteries.

Baditudes Blogs. The blogs regarding mods and rebuildables are listed below:

BATTERIES

9. Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* Another essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

17. Purple Efest Batteries not as Advertised
* A cautionary blog that reveals that the purple Efest batteries may not have the specifications advertised. Also includes a commentary on "continuous discharge ratings" vs "pulse discharge ratings" of battery specs.

OHM'S LAW

14. Ohm's Law for Dummies (Vapers)
* My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

16. Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
* As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

MECHANICAL MODS & REBUILDABLES

7. Information Resources for Your First RBA
* An essential read and reference guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

15. Inexpensive Mechanical Mod/RDA Setup
* A response to the frequently asked question on how to get into rebuildable atomizers with a mechanical mod inexpensively. Includes a list of commonly used tools and supplies for rebuilding and where to find them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.

* RTD Vapor
* Illumination Supply
* Lighthound
* Orbtronics

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Well, for better or worse, it's good that you ended up here asking seriously good questions. I have a SMPL, and it rocks, for the record.

But yeah. With atty-to-battery mechs like the SMPL, it's important that the positive pin on the atomizer extends a good mm or two beyond the threading; if it doesn't, you risk the battery touching both negative threading and positive pin, which is pretty much the definition of a hard short. I've never used the atlantis, but I have read that it doesn't pair well with mods like the SMPL, so it's probably best to assume it won't work. You can check it out when you get it (a visual inspection!), but honestly, I don't it's worth the risk. Flat or button top won't matter, as the positive surface of the batter is still flat, and that's where the danger lies if the positive pin doesn't protrude enough.

As far as the 25R goes, it's also what I use, and is an excellent battery. It's 20A continuous, which means that you're good, in theory, down to 4.2/20 = 0.21 ohms. But being new to rebuilding, and using a mech like the SMPL, I'd probably start around an ohm, maybe down to 0.7, to survey the lanscape. Go a bit lower when you get an idea of how things are going, only if you want to go lower. Dual 28ga coils netting 0.7 ohms should be quite nice and work fine on a mech. Maybe 0.6ohms if they're not heating enough.

I'm biased and love RDAs, because they're easier to build/wick and more pleasant to me, at lower or higher wattages; I just don't like tanks it turns out. There are some really cheap ones available, and they should all suit your purposes.

For reasonable resistances on a mech, I'd get 30ga, 28ga, and probably 26ga wire. They're super cheap at Temco with free shipping. For wick, you can get buy with organic cotton, Japanese cotton (Koh Gen Do, shiseido, Muji, or the Japanese-like Cotton Labo), and I prefer cellucotton rayon to all cotton.

Stratm69

Feb 3, 2015
I'm still in the learning process myself. Halo was going to be my first choice. But after lots of researching online, I then realized that I didn't want to get sucked into the "starter kits" buying scheme. As in "buy this, then come back in a month or two and we'll bump you up to the next level/model". I figure that I would inevitably upgrade to something more serious and longterm over time so my first ecig/vaporizer was a IPV Mini with Atlantis Tank. I haven't looked back since. The folks in the local vape shops are extremely helpful, just don't let them persuade you into a starter kit if you have a desired goal, that is.

Last edited:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf Spolar. Nice to meet you and so glad you are here. Wonderful place, as you can already see why. Have fun and make yourself at home.

Jaiden Lee

Verified Member
Feb 5, 2015
Jacksonville, Fl
Im using an Atlantis, and I have it on a Hana 30W clone. With the .5 coils that the Atlantis offers, I would definitely look into a regulated mod. You can end up pulling some serious power with an Atlantis (Some peeps vape them at 60w). You will likely be disappointed at the limits you can push with a mech mod (your only voltage is your battery), with regulated mods what you set is what you get till it dies. With mechs as the battery goes, so does your wattage, at least thats my understanding of it.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So I started with Halo ecigs sometime ago then moved to their triton line. I loved their products and haven't had a smoke since I got my halo g6. After sometime of living in my "halo bubble" and enjoying their products I discovered the world of serious vaping. Long story short: I got too ambitious without learning what I need to know. I recently ordered the following things after watching a few youtube vids:

1)smpl clone by a-mod
2)aspire atlantis (I watched a you-tube vid where his setup was on a smpl...)
3)Samsung inr 25r batteries.

My questions are:
1)While waiting for them to arrive I did some reading and have seen that I SHOULD NOT use the atlantis with the smpl correct? Even if I get a battery that isn't flat?

2)When I do pick an RBA, what coil ohm would be best suited for these batteries? Or provide a link to a thread for me to read? (I've watched builds and plan on doing A LOT more research, but I was thinking of picking up some pre-made coils for do a dual coil setup to start vaping before doing my own coils)

*If I indeed can't use the atlantis with the smpl, then I need to get-to-learnin about and using an RBA to vape with my mech...

FYI please don't start dumping on me about not knowing anything about sub-ohm vaping, I want to learn, and would never start building setups all willy-nilly and being unsafe. Looking forward to hearing back from anyone.

I'm glad you want to walk before running.

1:
(a) You shouldn't start off too soon using a mech mod; but if you do you should use a kick; or at least a fuse.
(b) Of all the g!@#$%^&D mech mods to start you shouldn't get a smpl mod; the manufacturer saves on cost to manufacture, you lose because you don't know the problem.

2: Best suited coil ohms depend on the wire gauge.

3: I recommend getting a regulated mod with a screen that will show you ohms at any time.
And you just adjust your voltage or power to taste according to how your coil turned out instead of having to adjust your coil to match the battery.
A mech is a simple device which basically when something goes wrong with it you can probably fix it yourself; its a very durable device; it makes for a good backup plan; it's like having a bike in case your car doesn't start

BluzKing

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Here's a couple of pics. One is my Atlantis tank compared to the Freakshow RDA is usually keep on the Amod, as you can see the firing pin is fine. The other is the Atlantis mounted on the Amod, fires up fine, gives good performance.

That being said, I do not use the Amod as my primary device for the Atlantis, although I don't think it would be an issue, there's just better battery options (the Aspire CF Sub Ohm battery is a perfect fit) out there. Regardless, hope this helps, and enjoy the journey!

image.jpg image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread