"Steeping" Eliquid? What does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
Steeping is just letting your juice sit from 2 weeks to a couple of months, you just let the juice sit in the bottles in a cool dark place. What steeping does in a very short description is it brings all the flavors out of the juice. It's almost like ageing a good wine. Some juices need it for sure others are still good without steeping. I'm sure others will chime in with more detailed info on steeping but all in all it's a good idea especially on the juices you don't like right off the bat, sometimes time sitting really turns them into a completely different juice.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll agree with Jimmy on most points, but the 2 weeks to a couple of months steeping period is a little extreme for the vast majority of juices.

Generally, when you receive your new custom-mixed juices, merely shake them really well, then open the cap and set the bottle aside in a cool dark place as Jimmy instructed. Leave them that way for 1-2 days to allow any alcohol base to evaporate if present, then recap and shake well again. Let sit in the same cool dark place for another couple days. At that point, most flavors will be ready to vape.

Some flavors don't require steeping at all. A hint that they will is if the vendor custom mixes your juices to your specifications. Things like ratio of PG/Vg, extra flavor added, menthol added, etc. These often have a birth date, or creation date printed on the juice bottle.

Most non-custom mixed juices will just ask for nicotine strength. These are mixed and bottled way in advance of your order, and sitting on a shelf in a warehouse waiting to be shipped out.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi - think of it in terms of decanting wine. For many liquids the taste improves when the flavors have a chance to breathe and meld. In other situations, liquids that seem "perfumey" can lose some of that aspect. Ultimately, you have to experiment to find what works for you. :)

ETA: The very first bottle of juice I bought tasted horrible. I tossed it in a drawer never expecting to see it again. Five months later I came across it and it was a dark amber color (it was almost clear when I got it) and tasted completely different - yummy!

Last edited:

phalaeo

Jan 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Excellent- thank you so much for your answers.

Some flavors don't require steeping at all. A hint that they will is if the vendor custom mixes your juices to your specifications.

Good to know... I am indeed looking at juices from Highbrow Vapor and I understand that purchases are made to order, so that makes total sense.

It might be hard for an e-cig newb like me to put off trying new juices, but I shall do my best!

juggernautxtr

Feb 4, 2013
AZ
steeping is what it is, flavor waiting and nicotine can benefit as well with steeping in juice, the "amber" color is from the nicotine when it has thoroughly mixed in your juice, you can either let it sit and give it a shake(I recommend shaking daily)or you can try and speed it up by placing the bottle in a luke warm bowl of water letting it sit there for a bit shaking it periodically.
my dragon's blood benefits greatly from steeping, and i wait till my banana gets a reddish tint before i use it. it a waiting game same as wine just waiting for it to hits its "peak"

why some of the imported china juices are so dark sometimes,6 weeks on a boat made them like that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not so sure about speeding the steeping process by applying heat. It might help with the flavoring aspect, but heat can degrade nicotine. And it's basically the nicotine that we really want in our juices more than flavor, throat hit, and vapor production.

I've even heard of people putting their juice in the microwave. Ummmm, no! :facepalm:

Last edited:

juggernautxtr

Feb 4, 2013
AZ
I'm not so sure about speeding the steeping process by applying heat. It might help with the flavoring aspect, but heat can degrade nicotine.

I've even heard of people putting their juice in the microwave. Ummmm, no! :facepalm:

i think that the luke warm(not hot) water is for the heavy vg juices so you can get it shook up and yeah DON"T NUKE IT!!(tried that)

ageispolis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Mobile, AL
Steeping definitely helps with tobacco flavors, but I haven't really noticed a huge difference with the fruity / coffee based flavors I've tried.

It's a must with tobacco flavors though. I've had a bottle of EC Blends 7 Leaf sitting on my shelf for a month, and it tastes great! When I first received it, I couldn't taste anything in it at all.

Grimheart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2012
Hell, Mississippi
Some juices don't need it and some you really need to. Citrus flavors are a must to really bring out the flavors. If you get your juice from a reseller, chances are it's been steeped long enough. For some, the shipping takes care of most of it. It's all trial and error, if you get a juice you don't like at first steep it, if it taste good the day you get it then just vape away.

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
Dripping is a nice way to test out your juices, versus loading up a carto or tank.

How do you do 'dripping'? I use an Ego T with what I believe to be a CE4 clearomizer. To try new juice I figured I would just have to put a tiny bit in the clearomizer and and vape it. Is this the same as dripping or is that just used with one of the cartridges?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My experience is:

Juices with a heavier concentration of Vg will benefit from a longer steep period. Vg does not "take up" flavoring agents as easily as Pg does, so agitation (shaking the bottle) and time helps.

Juices that incorporate all-natural, all-organic flavoring benefit from some steep time. I've been gravitating most of my e-liquid purchases to companies that offer these; not because of any "health" benefits, but it seems to my taste buds and nose that the natural/organic juices just taste more authentic, pure, spot-on to descriptions, and not artifical.

Darker colored or thicker juices require longer steep times; tobacco, coffee mixes, desert mixes.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
I'll agree on Jimmy on most points, but the 2 weeks to a couple of months is a little extreme for the vast majority of juices.

Generally, when you receive your new custom-mixed juices, merely shake them really well, then open the cap and set the bottle aside in a cool dark place as Jimmy instructed. Leave them that way for 1-2 days to allow any alcohol base to evaporate if present, then recap and shake well again. Let sit in the same cool dark place for another couple days, and most flavors will be ready to vape.

Some flavors don't require steeping at all. A hint that they will is if the vendor custom mixes your juices to your specifications. Things like ratio of PG/Vg, extra flavor added, menthol added, etc. These often have a birth date, or creation date printed on the juice bottle.

Most non-custom mixed juices will just ask for nicotine strength. These are mixed and bottled way in advance of your order, and sitting on a shelf in a warehouse waiting to be shipped out.

So, you recommend actually taking the lids completely off for a couple of days? I just want to be sure of what you are saying. Thanks.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How do you do 'dripping'? I use an Ego T with what I believe to be a CE4 clearomizer. To try new juice I figured I would just have to put a tiny bit in the clearomizer and and vape it. Is this the same as dripping or is that just used with one of the cartridges?

There are atomizers which are sold specifically for dripping juice into them. A few drops of juice is dropped directly into the atomizer. You then will be able to vape for several puffs from that amount of liquid. Then a few more drops of liquid will need to be applied, and a few more puffs can be done. Rinse/repeat (figuratively speaking, not literally).

This should not be attempted with automatic-type batteries as they are not resistant to liquid on their connecters which could cause irrepairable harm to or destroy them. Dripping can be a little messy as the liquid can leak from the tiny air holes in the bottom of the atties. There are "drip shields" available which fit around the atty to help prevent excessive leakage of juice.

atomizer-3.jpg atomizer510.jpg atomizer.jpg

sealed-unsealed connector.jpg sealed (manual) vs unsealed (auto) batteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread