??Steeping??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotku

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2012
columbus, oh
Good question, there are a lot of non-scientific answers. My best non-scientific answer is to think of e-liquid like wine or other alcohol. Since it is usually created at the time you order it, there needs to be some time to allow the components fully interact. I have heard the some vendors utilize a vigorous mixing process and thus need less time steeping. A general (very general) rule of thumb would be about two weeks of steeping time, room temp, avoid sunlight. You can usually shake the bottles every day or so. Some people speed the process by placing the bottles in a warm, less than 120 degrees, bath. I just usually wait a couple weeks before vaping, it seems to do the trick. I am sure others will chime in with some viable alternatives and explanations.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
It really depends on the liquid and your personal taste.
I'm not going to try and explain what happens on a molecular level when we steep, but in layman's terms, it is just allowing the liquid to sit so the flavors can blend and the full flavor can develop. Some people shake, take caps off, set the bottle in hot water, use ultrasonic cleaners.... The list goes on. The best advice I can give is to ask the vendor directly what they recommend for steeping, or ask our friendly members here on ECF.
In the end, you will find what works best for your liquids and your taste- good luck!

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Steeping is literally letting the juice sit before you use it. As far as what actually happens, the best guess IMO is that the flavoring is fully mixing with the base on the molecular level. Honestly, it's a mystery to me. I didn't believe it until I saw a liquid change from yellow fresh to dark pink in a matter of days.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions. It ranges from days to weeks. Basically "until it tastes good".

Rookie

Apr 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Thanks for the explanations. The term made me think of hot tea-the longer you steep it the stronger, more bitter it gets. I guess I have been doing this without knowing it. I'm a long haul truck driver and order my juice supply 4 months worth at a time. It sits at the house til I get home and then sits in the truck with 10-11 hours of "vibration" shake n stir per day. I have noticed a few that change color (watermelon) from a pale pink when new to a light golden when older but have not noticed any flavor change. Leaving the caps off is not really an option for me unless I want to clean up a big mess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread