To Steep, or not to steep, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
So I am really getting into vaping (strange, I know) but I am still something of a neophyte when it comes to the actual e liquids and haven't experimented with too many yet (I've been mostly sticking to GoodeLiquids' house NET line, because they are both delicious and not far from me, so they typically arrive literally the next day even with basic shipping). After spending quite a bit of time reading posts here, I've decided to try Dragon Fire and Huntsman, both from Heather's Heavenly Vapes, (both have been raved about here).

My question is this (posed specifically to, but not exclusively to, people who have tried them): should I steep either one, or both of, these liquids; and if so, for how long? And then as a general follow-up, what types of liquid should be steeped? Is there any particular criteria to follow, or is every liquid unique in that regard? I stick mostly to NETs, as I said and am currently steeping a 30ml of Patriot blend (this is the first time I'm steeping something, and haven't yet tried a steeped liquid for myself), and just received an Apple Cured tobacco which I'm assuming is better fresh (but then maybe that just shows my ignorance in this area).

So, to wrap up, should I order these particular flavors from this particular vendor early so I can steep them? And should I just steep everything? Thanks in advance, I truly appreciate your advice.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The way I see it is that there is no question as to whether to steep or not to. Steeping doesn't imply an active process (though some may treat it as such); steeping only implies that your liquid has aged--whether a week or 4 months, it ONLY really depends on how long you are able to keep some of the juice. Steeping occurs as long as you have the juice. See? If you buy a 30 mL and it takes you a month to vape it, then your juice will have been vaped as a month old steeped.

Now, if you are asking if you should put the juice away and purposely not vape them so they can steep, I would say you should try the juice at least once a week to see if anything is happening. Sometimes juices can take a week or up to 7 months to change drastically enough to notice a difference. As to which juices do that, some will say some and others will say others. Typically, the best juices to let steep are ones that you don't like when you get them!

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
Right on, thanks for the help Mr. Mann, it is much appreciated. I have also noticed that the flavor of my juice, specifically the Patriot blend I've been primarily vaping, seems to tighten and get extremely burnt or smokey-tasting and even darker in color after a day or so in my clearo. Is this a sign I should be cleaning my coil, or just a natural occurrence?

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Right on, thanks for the help Mr. Mann, it is much appreciated. I have also noticed that the flavor of my juice, specifically the Patriot blend I've been primarily vaping, seems to tighten and get extremely burnt or smokey-tasting and even darker in color after a day or so in my clearo. Is this a sign I should be cleaning my coil, or just a natural occurrence?

That's not the juice per se, but the coil being gunked up from that juice. I can't speak too much on those type of devices as I have only used them enough to know that I don't particularly care for them. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is GoodeJuice's Patriot?

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
Yeah, I just caught that too. Seeing as how I am using an ego 1100 battery, what devices would you recommend? I am still very new to all of this (obviously).
I know a lot of people swear by an atty and just dripping a bit at a time, and that's certainly something I am open to, but I was a pack a day smoker who does a lot of vaping either at work or at the bar or wherever. Are there cartos out there that are superior to the clearos?
Sorry about all the questions, I am just trying to get the best vaping experience possible.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yeah, I just caught that too. Seeing as how I am using an ego 1100 battery, what devices would you recommend? I am still very new to all of this (obviously).
I know a lot of people swear by an atty and just dripping a bit at a time, and that's certainly something I am open to, but I was a pack a day smoker who does a lot of vaping either at work or at the bar or wherever. Are there cartos out there that are superior to the clearos?
Sorry about all the questions, I am just trying to get the best vaping experience possible.

No worries. I don't really give advice on hardware as there is far, far too much to be bought, configured and/or modified, plus, I personally believe hardware can be more subjective than juice. However, if you keep plugging away, I guarantee you'll find what you're looking for, I just can't help in that department.

p.s. I am a dripper.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Lot's of differing opinions and rituals when it comes to steeping. Most made-to-order juices do tend to change with age, from just a little to a lot, and it's often an improvement but sometimes (though rarely in my experience) they lose flavor with age. The rituals like shaking daily and exposing to air can speed the aging up, but they age without any of that too. Some suggest remove the caps for a couple days, but some vendors have warned doing that causes too much oxidation too quickly. I advise against leaving the caps off too, but opening the cap for a few minutes and shaking daily may speed things along without hurting the juice.

I think the only important thing to understand about steeping is like Mann said, if you don't like a juice set it aside, you may like it later. The rest is personal ritual, routine, personal taste, and opinion. I like some juices fresh that others won't touch for months. If I like a juice from the mailbox, it's ready. Usually though my juices age anyway before trying since I keep a lot on hand, and I randomly shake them if I think about it.

I do like to check on peoples opinions on how much a juice is expected to change if I'm not familiar with it. Mainly that's for 1) if it's a reverse steeper I'll want to vape it up within a couple months, and 2) if it's reported to change a lot with age I want to make sure I taste it fresh to compare to when steeped.

Your flavor issues at the end of the day is definately a dirty coil issue. Juices vary on how quick they gunk the coil, but when taste is effected it's time to clean. I think most clearos do fine with a rinse and a dry-burn. Most of the juices I vape are extracted tobaccos like the home brewed Goodejuices your vaping, so I often don't go more than a day in any device without taking care of the coil.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Now, this is what I experience, but I don't have much experience and not long enough to ensure myself, so I am happy to hear your comment. Many people said steeping will make the juice taste better. I did not see that. I tried to leave one or two of them untouched for a week or so. What I experience is that it tastes/smells better. Better does not mean it become delicious. Better means that the smell which I hate is pretty much lighter.

The way I see it is that there is no question as to whether to steep or not to. Steeping doesn't imply an active process (though some may treat it as such); steeping only implies that your liquid has aged--whether a week or 4 months, it ONLY really depends on how long you are able to keep some of the juice. Steeping occurs as long as you have the juice. See? If you buy a 30 mL and it takes you a month to vape it, then your juice will have been vaped as a month old steeped.

Now, if you are asking if you should put the juice away and purposely not vape them so they can steep, I would say you should try the juice at least once a week to see if anything is happening. Sometimes juices can take a week or up to 7 months to change drastically enough to notice a difference. As to which juices do that, some will say some and others will say others. Typically, the best juices to let steep are ones that you don't like when you get them!

lefty23

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
I really enjoyed the Patriot blend fresh-- a whole lot-- and read it got even better after a few weeks of steeping. So, of course I ordered another 30ml and did some research.

The process I followed involved leaving the cap off entirely for the 1st week, which I did, and after another week of letting it sit ( 2 weeks total) I vaped some and was really disappointed. I am definitely not doing that again. It lost a ton of flavor. Lesson learned, I guess.

I've got a couple bottles due to arrive any day now from HHV and I am definitely going to try them out fresh and go from there.

I also picked up a bottle of cheap vodka and now soak my coils as soon as I start to notice the taste getting tight and have been extremely happy with the results. Yet again, all of the wisdom you all have shared with me has saved the day. Thanks, and cheers.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Now, this is what I experience, but I don't have much experience and not long enough to ensure myself, so I am happy to hear your comment. Many people said steeping will make the juice taste better. I did not see that. I tried to leave one or two of them untouched for a week or so. What I experience is that it tastes/smells better. Better does not mean it become delicious. Better means that the smell which I hate is pretty much lighter.

A wood grain steering wheel in a hoopty is at least something to hold onto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread