Step down capability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alongo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Protem, Missouri
What dna or any variable wattage chips or devices have the step down capability . i have the svd20 watt and love it, it has the step down capability. Seems like my sigelei 20watt has it. Want to buy a vapor flask but cannot find pop ut if it has it. Thanks for any info. Al

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
what is step down mean?

It means that the mod has the capability to put out less voltage than what the battery is putting out. For instance; the DNA 30 did NOT have step-down, so below a certain wattage it would just be dumping raw battery power into the atty. With step-down, the mod can regulate down below the voltage of the battery and put out less voltage to the atty......

obiz

Oct 12, 2014
It means that the mod has the capability to put out less voltage than what the battery is putting out. For instance; the DNA 30 did NOT have step-down, so below a certain wattage it would just be dumping raw battery power into the atty. With step-down, the mod can regulate down below the voltage of the battery and put out less voltage to the atty......

thanks for the explanation.
how to knowing that a regulated device has a step down capability?
are ipv2x and sigelei 100w have step down capability?

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
You can also forget the iPV Mini ...

It uses the YiHi SX130 chipset that does not have Buck Converter (cannot output less voltage than battery voltage)

Here is a test I did using an iPV Mini and a Kayfun Lite Plus with a 1.3 ohm single coil .... Battery voltage at the time was 3.8v

As you can see, the voltage measured at the coil screws when the coil was burning never was able to go below the 3.8 battery voltage:

Buck-BoostConverter.jpg

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Well my IPV Mini fires 3.75v off a freshly charged 4.19v Samsung 25r. At lowest setting on 1.4ohm coil. So it's doing something.

Was that 3.75v measured with a multimeter attached to the coil screws when being fired, or just what you read on the display screen of your iPV Mini when you pressed the fire button?

Last edited:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Leads touching posts when firing.
With multimeter.
Display read 2.6v

Well, I am stumped ... Your multimeter indicated 2.6v when the multimeter's test leads were placed on the posts / coil screws of the atomizer while the fire button was being pressed and the coil burning.

I just don't know what to say.

Were you in DC-DC mode on the iPV Mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread