stingray stingray stingray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMGz

Dec 29, 2014
College Park, MD
Hey all,

I know this question has inevitably been posted here a billion times, but do any of you have advice on how to fix the sticky button on the stingray family of mech mods?

Notes:

- I own an authentic copper stingray and stingray x, as well as a brass stingray clone, and all three have equally terrible fire buttons.
- I have tried graphite and vaseline.
- I am fully aware of the small locking pin within the switch, and have not done anything to replace it.
- the locking pin fits securely into the base magnet and I see no need to replace it.
- I have not tried sanding or using a liquid-base lubricant.
- the buttons have all had at least 2-months of moderate usage break-in time.
- yes, I am aware that the stingray x and non-stingray x models have different switches.

Thank you for any feedback!

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I have an authentic red copper stingray, and the graphite smoothed out the switch, but it does still click. My black stingray x (clone) I ground down the bottom piece of the switch housing and did the graphite thing and its silky smooth on the throw. Your switches might just need a bit of grinding on the inner housing.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
One thing I've found with Nemesis clones (which have nearly identical switches to the Stingray), is that the delrin rings don't always sit perfectly on the switch assembly. The symptom is that every time you remove the switch from the tube, it actuates just fine (no sticking), but once you screw it into the tube and that delrin ring pushes up against the battery, the whole assembly becomes cockeyed, and you get a sticky switch. Once I reamed out the inside diameter of that delrin ring to make it fit properly, the problem went away and now the switch is butter. It might be worth looking closely at your switch from a side-view and see if that delrin ring is sitting in any way non-uniform. Definitely check that everything is straight and true before you start sanding any electrical surfaces. Better to address the root cause than band-aiding it.

Last edited:

LA-Vapite

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2013
Los Angeles
I have found that the replacement SW bottom for the nemesis fits on both the Sting Ray X and the previous Sting Ray Types
I have clones for both and it works great - especially with the magnet upgrade
The 2 locations that carries this for under 9.00 are both Out of stock
I guess one could also get a cheap neme clone just for jusst the SW

But the difference is night and day

k5blazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2010
Fredericksburg, VA
Run a longer rice pin, if you are making from scratch, file down cut ends to a dull tip. Fine sandpaper moving only north south on piece that threads into tube, follow that with a nice polish of entire switch. Then wipe with alcohol Wipe.��

Just did this on my SRX I just got from Fasttech. The button was horrible with crunch and wobble. Now, bigger pin, 2000 grit sand and polish, no more crunch, and the throw is almost none existent. Does not auto fire either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread