Stop Making Such a Mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
Throughout the day, I check on the "new posts" link. I am astounded by the number of people getting e liquid all over themselves, their possessions and their living space trying to fill cartomizers. As a veteran (I've been at this longer than I've been a member of ECF), let me offer some advice.

First off, the "condom method" is the second worst way to fill a cartomizer next to opening a bottle and dumping it down the center hole.

Your standard cartomizer can hold 20-30 drops. The XLs usually take 30-40. Some take more, some take less. It depends on the density of the filler and the quality of the cartomizer.

Instead of pouring nic liquid all over the place, set aside some time to fill your cartos. Drip three to five drops around the circumference of the tube. Avoid the air hole! Let the first ring of liquid soak in. It takes a few seconds because the fill was previously dry and needs to get wet in order to fill the carto. If you're using the condom method or just dumping your juice in, the filler never gets a chance to really start absorbing liquid and you won't get a quality fill (compared to slow dripping).

Once the first ring is absorbed, turn the carto at a slight angle and start dripping two to three drops at a time on to the thickest part of the fill (there's always one side that is a bit thicker). Let the liquid absorb. Repeat. Continue to repeat while keeping track in your head. When you get to 30, STOP. Look at the liquid and confirm that it is still being absorbed. If you have a small pool at the top that isn't going down, YOU ARE DONE. Don't put anymore in because chances are it will start coming out of the bottom. If it is still absorbing, add one drop at a time until your reach the top.

Yes, it is time consuming. Three minutes versus 30 seconds. Do it right and you won't lose a single drop of juice. There will be nothing to clean up and those "condoms" will end up in the trash or a box.

Cartomizers are a great option. Not the best, but darn good. Save yourself, your stuff and anyone that touches your stuff from juice exposure and save yourself a few bucks in the liquid you didn't waste.

Oh, and one more thing - prefilled cartomizers are a scam! They may be convienient but they are a waste of money. Buy a bottle of your favorite juice, stock up on your favorite cartos when they're on sale (or join a co-op) and don't waste your money. That is unless of course money is not an object.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
I'm glad I came across this thread! Being new here, the condom method seemed like such a great idea to me. But it seems like whenever I try it, no matter how SLOW I go, it just comes right up through the middle...immediately! I thought it was just me, lol!! Looking forward to trying this method instead...thanks :)

I'm glad you found it too! The condom method generally leads to uneven or incomplete filling and if you soak the inner tube too much, it will expand and choke off the air tube. Good luck VG!

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
First off, the "condom method" is the second worst way to fill a cartomizer next to opening a bottle and dumping it down the center hole.
Yes, it is time consuming. Three minutes versus 30 seconds. Do it right and you won't lose a single drop of juice. There will be nothing to clean up and those "condoms" will end up in the trash or a box.

Cartomizers are a great option. Not the best, but darn good. Save yourself, your stuff and anyone that touches your stuff from juice exposure and save yourself a few bucks in the liquid you didn't waste.

LOL, been there, done that - I agree ENTIRELY - excellent post, probably should sticky this -

I love cartos, don't like 'dripping', and have found that by adding this exact routine to my nightly coffee prep routine -- y'know, grind the beens, put the filter, add water, set the timer --- now prep the cartos (4) - I can kill two birds with one session - and have my caffeine and nicotine ready first thing in the morning!

Great tips!

meat1023

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
Avery, Texas, United States
I have never tryed the condom method just sounded kind of weird to me to use one for this and well ok I dont wanna waste one on that ( their needed else where. I have started now trying and its working the spinning method I made me a lanyard out of duct tape and a bungie add a few drops and spin it for about 10 seconds then add more and repete this works great no more waiting for it to absorbe

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
I have never tryed the condom method just sounded kind of weird to me to use one for this and well ok I dont wanna waste one on that ( their needed else where. I have started now trying and its working the spinning method I made me a lanyard out of duct tape and a bungie add a few drops and spin it for about 10 seconds then add more and repete this works great no more waiting for it to absorbe

You're kidding, right? I mean, about "condoms"?

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Damn IA I have always hated condoms in real life so I never used one with my vaping hobby either. You have decribed exactly how I fill my cartos. If I am in a hurry I will resort to a sryinge on the first fill though. Drive needle to bottom and pull up as you fill. I have found this gets the wadding fully soaked rather quickly. Then just top off with 8 - 10 drops as needed

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
Damn IA I have always hated condoms in real life so I never used one with my vaping hobby either. You have decribed exactly how I fill my cartos. If I am in a hurry I will resort to a sryinge on the first fill though. Drive needle to bottom and pull up as you fill. I have found this gets the wadding fully soaked rather quickly. Then just top off with 8 - 10 drops as needed

Amen to that!

As for the syringe, that's a great option! The only reason I don't go that route is that I'm anti-syringe but that's just a silly personal preference kind of thing.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
One thing that always amazed me was when every I saw a vid of people filling cartos / carts or even doing DIY, they always were working right on the desktop or a table.

It didn’t take me long to realize that cartos like to roll when knocked over and that e-Juice makes a huge mess when spilled.

So when ever I refill or mix, I do all the work over a metal tray. Back in the day, people used to call them “Rolling Trays”. It a nice way to work because there is a lip that keeps run-away cartos in check. And if you have a melt down and knock over a dropper bottle of juice, you can take the entire contents of the tray and rinse it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread