The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Stop Making Such a Mess!

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by IndustrialAction, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. IndustrialAction

IndustrialAction Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Northern VA
    Throughout the day, I check on the "new posts" link. I am astounded by the number of people getting e liquid all over themselves, their possessions and their living space trying to fill cartomizers. As a veteran (I've been at this longer than I've been a member of ECF), let me offer some advice.

First off, the "condom method" is the second worst way to fill a cartomizer next to opening a bottle and dumping it down the center hole.

Your standard cartomizer can hold 20-30 drops. The XLs usually take 30-40. Some take more, some take less. It depends on the density of the filler and the quality of the cartomizer.

Instead of pouring nic liquid all over the place, set aside some time to fill your cartos. Drip three to five drops around the circumference of the tube. Avoid the air hole! Let the first ring of liquid soak in. It takes a few seconds because the fill was previously dry and needs to get wet in order to fill the carto. If you're using the condom method or just dumping your juice in, the filler never gets a chance to really start absorbing liquid and you won't get a quality fill (compared to slow dripping).

Once the first ring is absorbed, turn the carto at a slight angle and start dripping two to three drops at a time on to the thickest part of the fill (there's always one side that is a bit thicker). Let the liquid absorb. Repeat. Continue to repeat while keeping track in your head. When you get to 30, STOP. Look at the liquid and confirm that it is still being absorbed. If you have a small pool at the top that isn't going down, YOU ARE DONE. Don't put anymore in because chances are it will start coming out of the bottom. If it is still absorbing, add one drop at a time until your reach the top.

Yes, it is time consuming. Three minutes versus 30 seconds. Do it right and you won't lose a single drop of juice. There will be nothing to clean up and those "condoms" will end up in the trash or a box.

Cartomizers are a great option. Not the best, but darn good. Save yourself, your stuff and anyone that touches your stuff from juice exposure and save yourself a few bucks in the liquid you didn't waste.

Oh, and one more thing - prefilled cartomizers are a scam! They may be convienient but they are a waste of money. Buy a bottle of your favorite juice, stock up on your favorite cartos when they're on sale (or join a co-op) and don't waste your money. That is unless of course money is not an object.

2. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Retired ECF Forum Manager Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 17, 2010
    Lurking in the shadows
    I agree. Top filling is much cleaner and you waste very little juice. I think the extra time is worth it in the end.

3. ValleyGirl

ValleyGirl Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Van Nuys, CA
    I'm glad I came across this thread! Being new here, the condom method seemed like such a great idea to me. But it seems like whenever I try it, no matter how SLOW I go, it just comes right up through the middle...immediately! I thought it was just me, lol!! Looking forward to trying this method instead...thanks :)

4. Tiari

Tiari Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 25, 2010
    Connecticut
    Huh....... I haven't really had a problem with the condom method, unless I overfill, so I am just careful not to do that.

5. IndustrialAction

Sep 14, 2010
    Northern VA
    I'm glad you found it too! The condom method generally leads to uneven or incomplete filling and if you soak the inner tube too much, it will expand and choke off the air tube. Good luck VG!

6. zadane

zadane Super Member ECF Veteran

I used to use the condom method... but when ever I did it always ended in over filling and a mouthful of juice.

now i just drip into the filler nice and slowly it's a pain, but it works.

7. PapaBloog

PapaBloog Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2010
    Fontana, CA
    LOL, been there, done that - I agree ENTIRELY - excellent post, probably should sticky this -

I love cartos, don't like 'dripping', and have found that by adding this exact routine to my nightly coffee prep routine -- y'know, grind the beens, put the filter, add water, set the timer --- now prep the cartos (4) - I can kill two birds with one session - and have my caffeine and nicotine ready first thing in the morning!

Great tips!

8. Riverwolf

Riverwolf Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2010
    Amherst,Va
    Great tips I do 5or 6 at a time 5 drips wait 5 drips wait etc. works great no mess!

9. WomanOfHeart

WomanOfHeart Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Colorado
    I've always used the drip method to fill my cartos. The condom method just sounded too messy to me, so I've never even tried it. I still use the condoms to keep my cartos fresh, though.

10. meat1023

meat1023 Full Member Verified Member

I have never tryed the condom method just sounded kind of weird to me to use one for this and well ok I dont wanna waste one on that ( their needed else where. I have started now trying and its working the spinning method I made me a lanyard out of duct tape and a bungie add a few drops and spin it for about 10 seconds then add more and repete this works great no more waiting for it to absorbe

11. IndustrialAction

Sep 14, 2010
    Northern VA
    You're kidding, right? I mean, about "condoms"?

12. Liv2Ski

Liv2Ski Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Burnt Hills NY
    Damn IA I have always hated condoms in real life so I never used one with my vaping hobby either. You have decribed exactly how I fill my cartos. If I am in a hurry I will resort to a sryinge on the first fill though. Drive needle to bottom and pull up as you fill. I have found this gets the wadding fully soaked rather quickly. Then just top off with 8 - 10 drops as needed

13. IndustrialAction

Sep 14, 2010
    Northern VA
    Amen to that!

As for the syringe, that's a great option! The only reason I don't go that route is that I'm anti-syringe but that's just a silly personal preference kind of thing.

14. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    One thing that always amazed me was when every I saw a vid of people filling cartos / carts or even doing DIY, they always were working right on the desktop or a table.

It didn’t take me long to realize that cartos like to roll when knocked over and that e-Juice makes a huge mess when spilled.

So when ever I refill or mix, I do all the work over a metal tray. Back in the day, people used to call them “Rolling Trays”. It a nice way to work because there is a lip that keeps run-away cartos in check. And if you have a melt down and knock over a dropper bottle of juice, you can take the entire contents of the tray and rinse it out.

15. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I use a tray too zoiD ...Have spilled, and just took it to the sink !

(ummmm....still curious about meat1023 tho....and giggling with the visual in my head !!!)

16. IndustrialAction

Sep 14, 2010
    Northern VA
    LMAO! I know, the username seems appropriate, ha-ha! I didn't know what to say when he posted that.

17. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr

Supporting member
    Reading posts in the morning is a good way to get your computer screen cleaned off !!!

18. CES

CES optimistic cynic Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Birmingham, Al
    that's funny Classy- i just got coffee on my screen :lol:

I've tried the condom fill method a few times- messy and you never whether the carto is really full. Dripping into the filler or using a syringe to fill/refill is much better.

19. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr

Supporting member
    I don't mind the condom fill and spinning on cartos....you just have to remember to let them sit about 5 minutes then fill some more.....and then to blow it out before you vape. But yeah...you do still end up dripping to get it completely full...

20. debb

debb ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    in the nj woods
    i use my ammo boxes to fill...they sit in there perfect...using the drip method..:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.