Storage Bottles - Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
I just ordered some amber Boston round glass bottles for long term storage. They come with a "standard" cap. It seems that the cap would be the weak point for oxygen infiltration. Are the standard caps generally ok?

Just for fun, I ordered some "pressure-sensitive torque activated cap seal liners" in the same size to go over the top before the cap. These go for about 6 cents each.

I also ordered some of the "black phenolic CT lid with polycone liner" caps. These have a poly "cork" that goes into the neck of the bottle that gets squeezed when tightening the cap. These go for about a dollar each.

What kind of seals/caps would you recommend for long-term e-liquid storage?

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Phenolic caps with polycone liner preferred (if you have the choice), however, most should work just fine. And, if stored upright (i.e. liners not contacting liquid) there's hardly any conceivable issues. Check Rossum's "Nic Base Storage: Freezer vs. Room Temp Experiment " for fact-based test results. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Brown

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
What kind of seals/caps would you recommend for long-term e-liquid storage?
If 100 years is considered long term storage:
"Plastic waste is one of many types of wastes that take too long to decompose. Normally, plastic items take up to 1000 years to decompose in landfills. But plastic bags we use in our everyday life take 10-20 years to decompose, while plastic bottles take 450 years."
" Most plastics corrode by direct photochemical attack, dissolution, permeation, weathering and aging"
re: thermoset plastic longevity characteristics over time - Google Search
Dissolution:
"This phenomenon is encountered in both single and two-phase flow conditions and is the result of the acceleration or increase in the rate of corrosion, or material dissolution, induced by the relative movement between a corrosive fluid and a material surface "
re: dissolution of materials - Google Search
I would go with thermoset plastic caps, if available and almost any chemical resistant seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread