Status
Not open for further replies.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Hi all! I'm in the process of learning to build my own coils for my eBaron Dripper Pro (and Sophia one day soon). I've built several of my own coils with the kanthal ready wires from Stormy's and her silica as well. I've built some with two full wraps with one partial wrap on each side and I've built others with three full wraps in the middle (sorry- I don't know the correct terminology) and what I'm wondering is does it matter how many wraps I do because the ohms turn out to be the same both ways? How does wrapping with more or fewer wraps affect the performance of the coil when using Stormy's wires? Is more better so that more surface area on the silica is heated? TIA for any information! :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I'm guessing that stormys Kanthal is just plain ol Kanthal with a name placed on it to justify higher cost. 100 foot spools of Kanthal A1 range from $6 to $10 here at Temco - a US Kanthal distributor where most of us buy from.
http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/products/Resistance_Wire/RW0107.html

As for wraps, the more wraps you make the more resistance (ohms) you will have. More resistance = cooler vape. It's also considerably safer to run setups above 1 ohm.

Less wraps equals less resistance = hotter vape.

Low resistance (less than 1 ohm) requires knowledge about battery and mod capabilities in order to vape safety. Additionally some VV devices won't operate with low resistance builds.

There's a whole lotta safety stuff one should read about on here regarding low resistance builds and if your wrapping one or 2 wraps, that's likely low resistance and I urge you to educate yourself about resistance / batteries before continuing.

Last edited:

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Hi superxdrifter, thanks for answering. These are the pre-made wires from Stormy's...

Kanthal Ready Wires

Very nice for someone just starting out. I bought the 2.2 ohm wires. I'm not ready for anything beyond this step yet as far building coils goes. I was wondering though with these pre-made wires if the number of wraps matters at all?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
well the ready wires are a set resistance so it wont make a difference if its 3 or 5 wraps, in the case of the wraps since the wire is going to be XX ohms anyways (as long as you dont trim past the leads) the more wire touching the wick the more vapor should come off.
if you get something like the 1,8 ohms try and use it all. (except for the leads)

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
That's what I wanted to know Thrasher, thanks! And you say to use all of the kanthal part of 1.8 ohm wires? Really? That sounds like something I'd like to try but what about the wraps being to close together or touching? That would create hot spots correct? Would hot spots create any kind of problem?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
touching not touching etc isnt the cause of hotspots .,mainly the coils being uneven or the spaces all funky will be what causes problems

when you get the wire you will see the kanthal with two leads connected to it you cant really change the amount of kanthal between the two leads so you have to figure out how to use it, this is the only problem with ready built wires.
And you say to use all of the kanthal part of 1.8 ohm wires
1.8, 2.2 etc doesnt matter which resistance ypu pick.

in most cases when building your own wires you kind of know how long it needs to be after playing with it then attach the leads with the little welder.

Last edited:

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
touching not touching etc isnt the cause of hotspots .,mainly the coils being uneven or the spaces all funky will be what causes problems

when you get the wire you will see the kanthal with two leads connected to it you cant really change the amount of kanthal between the two leads so you have to figure out how to use it, this is the only problem with ready built wires.1.8, 2.2 etc doesnt matter which resistance ypu pick.

in most cases when building your own wires you kind of know how long it needs to be after playing with it then attach the leads with the little welder.

Thanks again Thrasher. So basically, with these wires, more wraps will possibly produce more vapor but otherwise the # of wraps won't matter in terms of function. Ok I think I'm good to go as far as learning to wrap with this premade stuff goes. It's definitely cheaper doing it this way versus buying the premade coils/ceramics online.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Thanks again Thrasher. So basically, with these wires, more wraps will possibly produce more vapor but otherwise the # of wraps won't matter in terms of function. Ok I think I'm good to go as far as learning to wrap with this premade stuff goes. It's definitely cheaper doing it this way versus buying the premade coils/ceramics online.
:thumbs: looks like your on it and yea the prebuilt cups get out o hand for cost quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread