Strawberry diy suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
Trying to mimic this old recipe I used to get from this guy. It was a strawberry cream. I know he used Bavarian cream my problem is finding the right strawberry. Every one I try is way to potent or to much like candy. His was a very suttle strawberry that matched the cream or maybe just complimented it. Any suggestions on a brand of strawberry flavor that's more mellow, suttle, and natural tasting rather then candy.

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
What strawberry flavors have you tried that didn't work? You might also want to post your percentages and get some opinions on that.

Many good recipes use a blend of two or more strawberry flavors to get a more rounded or nuanced flavor: a combo of TFA Strawberry Ripe and CAP Sweet Strawberry is pretty common.

If you haven't tried it, INW Strawberry Shisha is popular with many (including me!), and might be worth a test. Also, FlavourArt has a brand new strawberry flavor "Juicy Strawberry" that a lot of people are excited about.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Trying to mimic this old recipe I used to get from this guy.
Stupid questions first; did you ask him what ingredients he used, or is this no longer a possibility?

My initial thoughts (without discounting @tazzle's initial thoughts; as I almost never use a single strawberry concentrate anymore)...

Most creams, such as Bavarian Cream, require time to come to full flavor. This means patience.

For me, the majority of creams that I have used, require a week before even making their presence known. Two weeks is more realistic; and I won't pass final judgement for at least a month.

I am not surprised, if you are tasting a fresh mix (shake-and-vape) of any strawberry and Bavarian cream, that all you are getting is strawberry. And, I would further venture to guess, that the strawberry is kind of "off" too. I say that, only because I find fresh/early creams not particularly pleasant, and that they have a tendency to throw this initial balance off.

Another factor (again, for me... YMMV) I have noted, is that in general, strawberry concentrates tend to be rather aromatic, and prone to flavor fade... to some point. By this, I mean they are most potent fresh, and tend to diminish (to some extent; more or less) over time.

So, if you take an "early potent" strawberry, and blend it with a "slow developing" cream, it is going to take some time to find balance.

This does not mean that your recipes are, or are not, in/out of balance. And, I would heartily agree with @tazzle, that sharing specific mixing attempts (amounts/percents/methods of measurements) with specific ingredients (flavor name and manufacture name) would help us give you a better informed opinion.

However... TIME is also going to play a major key into what you are trying to accomplish in this seemingly simple mix.So please, PLEASE, include resting times (at tasting) along with your recipes.

And please note: I am not scolding for tasting "fresh" (right after mixing) as I intentionally do this with every new (to me) recipe. I believe I benefit by having a "baseline" from which to judge how a recipe is going to develop. But, at the same time, you also have to have the patience (and volume), to stay the course, and taste repeatedly of the course of several weeks.

My "normal" (whatever the heck that is) tasting ritual is: always fresh right after mixing (to get a baseline/reference point), then again at 72 hours/3 days, then again at 1 week, and each week thereafter. At EACH tasting; I record a note about what I am tasting, and when (related to mixing)... how the flavor/recipe changes. Is it better? Worse? How is it different (something weaker/stronger; is something there that wasn't before, or maybe something is gone)?

I have had some that are true shake-and-vapes: mix 'em, shake 'em, and they are good to go until they are gone. Others need shelf time (often erroneously referred to as "steep" <shudder> time): a couple of days, a week, a couple of weeks, a month (or even more) before they reach their full potential... but, whatever the initial wait-time is, once that is past it has found stability.

Then, there are those recipes that are truly "best used by" mixes; by which I mean they might be ready right off the mixing counter, or a few days wait, but then after a certain time-period, they change beyond the desired profile. This can mean one flavor dominates, or another flavor fades, but something changes and it once again goes out of balance.

With all of these; ...only time will tell.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I believe the original recipe used a hot water steep for 24 hours or more. I'm using small plastic containers and didn't think hot water was a good idea.
I am generally not a fan of using heat to speed up the maturation process. There are quite a few flavors (to me) that will actually lose parts, if not all of their taste. When i have heated a couple different strawberries in the past, I have noticed that almost all the high/bright notes of the flavor get lost, leaving only the deeper, darker undertones behind. It tasted muddled and not very pleasant. I actually managed to make lemon concentrates completely vanish from recipes when applying heat.

Other flavors, like custards and tobaccos, didn't appear to be adversely effected and seemed to benefit somewhat from the heat.
Does sweetener have to steep?
Sweetener itself does not benefit from any aging (it also doesn't hurt it). @capthook's recipe would benefit from a week or two of shelf time due to the CAP Sweet Cream and TFA Vanilla Swirl; but not because it also contains sweetener.

Also, keep in mind, just because a recipe might still have potential to change, doesn't mean that you won't enjoy vaping it. I have a tobacco concentrate, that many say tastes best after a month in the cupboard. And, I would agree, that is when is seems to stabilize. However... I discovered that, for my own personal preferences (when used in a single flavor recipe), I prefer it best between 3 to 14 days old. Prior to a three day rest; I find the mix much too perfumey. Beyond two weeks, it loses too much of its more aromatic notes, and I don't enjoy it as much. Because I learned this; I know I shouldn't mix more than I intend to vape in two weeks.;)

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Here''s my S&C:
Strawberries and Cream TFA: 5%
Strawberry Ripe TFA: 5%
Sweet Cream CAP : 2.5%
Vanilla Swirl TFA : 1.5%
Sweetner TFA : 2.5%

I'm stealing this as well. Love strawberry! Will reduce the sweetner to .5% but I can't recommend that as everybody I have met likes their juices sweeter than I do.

Lwr32

Sep 4, 2013
Goodyear, AZ USA
I'm really new to Diy juice making and have a question. This might be the wrong forum, so move it if need be.

I'm using a 60 bottle with premixed 20/80 PG/VG 3mg nic. I have a 10 bottle of strawberry ripe concentrate.

My first attempt was mix half the bottle of strawberry in the PG/VG bottle. Probably not the most smart thing to do. Flavor is ok but there's a throat burn. How much strawberry flavor for a strong taste without the burn?

When I mix premade juice flavors I count drops of juice input in.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Maybe steeping it a bit (top off, top on) might eliminate that sensation, it's just a thought. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting more of your PG/VG nicotine mix and diluting it down 5% at a time... You'll need a bigger bottle, but to me this seems like the best way to go about it, until you reach a point where you are comfortable with the vape.

Good luck,

Anna

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
I'm really new to Diy juice making and have a question. This might be the wrong forum, so move it if need be.

I'm using a 60 bottle with premixed 20/80 PG/VG 3mg nic. I have a 10 bottle of strawberry ripe concentrate.

My first attempt was mix half the bottle of strawberry in the PG/VG bottle. Probably not the most smart thing to do. Flavor is ok but there's a throat burn. How much strawberry flavor for a strong taste without the burn?

When I mix premade juice flavors I count drops of juice input in.
Around 10% maybe for a single flavor. In a 60ml bottle that would be 6ml

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread