Struggling mtl build

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchd17

Aug 4, 2019
I have 2 rdas and squonk mods. The Ammit and the STNG. I am struggling building a coil that does not put juice into my mouth. I have 26 and 28 ga Kanthal wire. I have tried several different wraps, spaced and not spaced coils at 2.5. I have tried more cotton, less cotton. Tried different cottons. I have tried raising and lowering coil. I have tried different wattage settings. I have noticed with longer drip tips seems to stop the issue, but flavor is muted a bit. I have tried using both tanks as a dripper, removed squonk pin, same issue. I DIY, I mix at 60/40. I also have the Berserker mtl rda, no issues. Any suggestions?

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I have 2 rdas and squonk mods. The Ammit and the STNG. I am struggling building a coil that does not put juice into my mouth. I have 26 and 28 ga Kanthal wire. I have tried several different wraps, spaced and not spaced coils at 2.5. I have tried more cotton, less cotton. Tried different cottons. I have tried raising and lowering coil. I have tried different wattage settings. I have noticed with longer drip tips seems to stop the issue, but flavor is muted a bit. I have tried using both tanks as a dripper, removed squonk pin, same issue. I DIY, I mix at 60/40. I also have the Berserker mtl rda, no issues. Any suggestions?

You obviously know what you are doing if you aren't having the same problem in your Berserker RDA.

Usually spit back is from loose wicking. It could possibly be a hot leg or hot spot from your coil. But since your using round wire, I doubt that's the problem.

If it was me, I'd first reinstall the coil. Try it slightly spaced, and make sure it glows evenly from the inside out when you pulse it. I'd then wick it with as much cotton as you can.

If it doesn't spit back, you've found your solution. If it's slightly muted, and not spitting - rewicked with a smidge less cotton.

These vids may give you some advice too:

Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi,
    In your place; I would build a 3mm 26AWG, slightly spaced coil at about .6Ω.
    I would set coil height at about 1.5-2mm and "shoulder" up my wick tails so they don't touch the deck.
    25 Watts seems like a reasonable place to start with the air flow about 25%-30% open.

When I use super soft bottles, I often have to wait a few extra seconds for some RDAs to drain properly.

HTH
    I

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread