Stuck on a PG/VG Technicality - Need Pro Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Here's something I've never thought much about when blending, and it just came up recently when my neighbor's aunt came to visit him and ran out of juice. She asked me if I would mix her a bottle of Bubblegum 50/50 PG/VG.

Question: To really be an accurate 50/50 blend do I need to measure 50% of pure nic base/PG and then 50% from a pure nic base/VG? That just seems to make it more complicated - you know, to have to order two bottles of nic base - one of PG dilution, the other of VG dilution. And then what about all the PG in the flavorings? If a person is really sensitive to PG, there's usually PG in the flavorings - how do they get around that one?

So, how does everyone else do it? Any input would be appreciated. Please and thank you.

Olef

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
UK
At the end of the day any base contains two things - nic and either pg or vg. So to get a true 50 / 50 you do not need to be mixing pg with nic and vg with nic. You take whatever base you have, say pg base, then calculate the amount of pg (probably smaller amount in this example) and the amount of vg (larger in this case) so that you end up with a mix that contains the correct amounts of nicotine, pg and vg to make up the whole.

To maintain accuracy then the base constituent of your flavours must be taken into consideration. As you say, most flavours are in pg so the amount of pg you add needs to be reduced by the amount of flavours you are using i.e. your total of pg in the mix includes the volume of flavours too.

So I never mix up pg/vg base and then add flavours and that would mess up the percentages. I always make a final juice mix up when I need it, and I always calculate all the parameters, juice strength, required final percentages, base strength and nic content, flavour amount and what base it is in to end up with a final mix that is the exact percentage of pg / vg that I require.

A good mixing calculator works wonders here especially if you are dealing with multi flavour recipes. Google up 'ejuicemeup' calculator, that's the one I like.

HTH

Last edited:

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
You should get the Ejuice me up software from breaktru.com but yes if you mix pg that is 36mg/ml with pg that is 0/ml in equall proportions the result will be 18mg/ml . Easy to figure out really if you have 2ml of the 36mg/ml you have 72mg if you add 2ml of no nic vg or pg you have 72 total mg of nicotine / 4 ml of total liquid you get 18 mg per ml .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread