Students! Stop vaping in class!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbrown327

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
RI
If you're looking for a stealth vapor, DeKang makes some in a variety of flavors. I tried the 555 (they call it something else) and it's light vapor, but not completely gone. What I've had the most success with is a stealth vapor by mistEliquid - the e liquid finest vape for the finest price in the UK. It's menthol, very strong and, if you do it right, completely vaporless after inhaling. Might be the same as the DeKang stealth menthol, but I haven't tried it to compare. Shawn at Litecig said he's going to stock some so hopefully there'll be a US based source eventually. If you're just looking for a nicotine hit every so often, and not the full smoking experience, I recommend it. You pretty much have to dedicate an atty to it though.

Last edited:

sbphotog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
O-H-I-O
www.facebook.com
IMO, the biggest distraction with vaping in class would be to those that are still smokers and can't smoke in class.
Most smokers and/or nicotine addicts will crave when they see someone else smoking (or emulating it w/vapor), and the craving will get worse if they are in a situation where they can't smoke at the moment. So vaping in class could be a big distraction for some people.

P3rplexity

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Texas
The best thing you can do in that situation is leave. Yea it sucks but college is a place that you have to pay to be treated like a toddler. The fact that he was a cop greatly increases they "You can't win factor".

Reminds me of a story, a guy took a pic of a train, I think it was an Amtak, NYPD cop starts reading him the riot act "9/11 national security, bla bla".

It is not illegal to take a photo of an Amtrak train. The guy taking the pic showed the cop the law on his blackberry. This resulted in him being handcuffed to a post until a supervisor got there and then had him arrested.

They have not charged him with taking pics of the train, becasue they can't, it is not illegal. But he is charged with blocking access to a public area and some sort of assault of the police officer because the cop did not like they guy's tone.

This was a taxpaying citizen doing something that not only is there no law against, but there is a specific policy indicating that it is ok. In your case as a student, you can't win. If you took it to court and won on legal grounds, the college would just expel you or take some other retaliation.

It would have been awesome if PV's had been invented back when the whole county was a "designated smoking area". The only places you could not smoke were for fire safety reasons. The PV would have taken care of that in most places. Now we are all criminals not for what we are doing but for what it looks like we are doing. Never mind that smoking bans were supposed to be about 2nd hand smoke. We are a minority and are stepping out of what is considered "acceptable behavior" .

But it is not all gloom and doom. Right now you know and I know you are not breaking any law. So go to the bathroom or some private place inside and vape your brains out.

I am reminded of another story from my younger years. I lived in a college town at the time. I bought some gas and paid for it on my Visa card. For some reason it would not read on the terminal inside (back before pay at the pump). So, horror of horrors, the attendant had to type in the CC #. After those painful seconds of back breaking typing, the clerk gruffly states. "Your card is F*&Ked up. You need to call Mommy or Daddy and have them send you a new one. I shouldn't have to type it in."

The funny thing was I not only had already graduated college and was working full time, I have been on my own since I was 17, and not only was the card my own account, at the time my parents did not even have a credit card.

Yea, havent been vaping at all while at school now besides outside and bathroom breaks, it's been fine. Like I said it's not in my nature to be confrontational when no confrontation is needed so I simply left. I was just trying to educate him, he could have been a long time smoker and been enlightened by it, oh well :rolleyes:

I personally would never vape in a classroom, or a restraunt, and most of all not an airplane! Like it or not we all live in a society that is fed up with smokers and smoking. I'm sure you could lecture everyone all night on the benefits and differences of vaping verse smoking but the fact is it looks a lot like smoking and the culture of anti smoking won't be washed away with an educational conversation. I treat my ecigarette like the real thing, only vape in my car when I'm at work, vape outside of all businesses, and I wait until I'm out of a friends car before I vape. In all of those cases yeah I could start vaping then when I get yelled at I could tell them that they are over reacting...but really I try to make friends with people, I don't like rocking the boat, so I try to be respectful. And to anyone who is thinking about vaping in a classroom, while school policy may not address such action, why on earth would you risk getting kicked out, or pissing off your professor?

Lashes

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.midwest-edm.com
I say, **** you, **** you, **** you.... your cool... **** you.

LOL idk where that came from, just felt like posting in here.

No really though, that cop arresting that guy for taking a picture of a train and then showing him the law that states its ok really PISSES ME OFF. I Seriously, HATE, more than anything in the world, an IGNORANT PIG ON A F_ING POWER TRIP!!! SFDLKJFSDL:FJSD:FJ S:DLKFJSD:KLFJ I woulda punched him in the face. At least then he would have a valid reason for cuffing me.

****!

popsec

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
www.vtvapor.com
Totally agree. I am someone who has no problem breathing out a cloud of vapor in virtually any location, but there are limits. I wait until breaks to vape (though I usually remain in the classroom). That way, I'm not disturbing or distracting others within my classes. Same goes for appearing in court (though I joke about doing it).

In certain situations, decorum dictates not vaping (or eating, drinking, talking, having your cell phone ring, ...) Now, if you little ___ would stop browsing 4chan or playing video games in front of me in class so that I can concentrate on the inane garbage the professor is spewing forth, it would be much appreciated. kthnxbye. ~~Adam

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
Good advice.

There is very little you can to about bullies especially if they're cops. I don't see how you can win.

Nowadays some people just find the act of "smoking" stupid and want to stamp it out all together. They don't care that you're aren't creating 2nd hand smoke, they just don't like what you're doing.

To them "No Smoking" means they don't have to see a person doing something they dislike.

BTW being a "trendy" dresser isn't necessarily a plus. My first impression of a person's fashion sense is based on my own. If you dress like I do I assume we have something in common. If you looked like the professor his first impression may be better.

(Dress as you like, I'm just pointing out a reality I've found to be sad but true)

-Gooney0

Rapunzel

Sep 25, 2009
AK-Rowdy, OH
I have a generally policy of asking being using my e-cig no matter where I am. If I'm in someone's home, someone's classroom, or in a bar/restaurant/shop of any kind, I ask permission. As far as the e-cig goes, I don't feel that the 'better to beg forgiveness' rule applies. If I wouldn't smoke an analog in a particular location, I always ask prior.

I've never had a professor say no. They have all been very excited about the e-cig and my geology prof went so far as to buy one so he could take it apart. Especially in my longer classes that have so much to cover that there's no time for a break, my professors have actually been encouraging people to get them to avoid missing class-time.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
I've done my vaping all over the place...in restaurants, at my cube, in shopping centers, movie houses, etc..... and so far I've never had anyone come up to me and challenge my right to do so..... it boils down to how you portray yourself.

if you try to hide it, or sneak it, or look like your doing something bad, wrong or illegal, then people will pick up on it...and assume you ARE.

For the situation where the campus-cop got up in yer face, I would have smiled sweetly, put the PV away, and said "I'm sorry to have bothered you," and walked away.....and gone to the administration of the campus and explained to them what a PV is.

There are going to be those who will NOT accept our habit simply because it LOOKS like smoking, and some of them people are in authority. Give the authoritarians their assumed power, then go directly over their heads and educate their superiors.

Mclassy

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Tacoma, WA
I would have to agree with you all. I just got my e cig on Saturday and I am completely in love. I charge my battery while in class via the USB charger and patently wait until class is over. My teachers ask me about it and they are all really supportive. I should buy a few kits as I probably could sell two or three a day easily.
If that jerk of a security guard came up to me and started degrading me for smoking in the hallway I think my response would have been something like "Correct me if I am wrong sir, but where there is smoke there is fire, right?" put LED to eyeball. " If there is no fire then there can not be smoke. This is just a mini fog machine and i see no sign for no fog machines." I would stop vaping and walk outside. He would inevitably follow me to continue his authoritive behavior where I would calmly explain his questions while vaping in an "approved" area.
I dont draw attention to myself but I find myself puffing on these things all the time. I would say more than when I was smoking cigarettes as there is a cut off limit. But during certain times I wait like a smoker would for the times to vape. My boyfriend on the other hand loves to exploit the fact that he can vape whereever. At the hospital in front of a doctor, right in front of the proffessor while talking to him, in the cafateria when ordering food, and while walking into a courthouse. No one questions him. Of course he is 6'9" and can intimidate God himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread