Study: effects of e cig on human cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphazero

May 11, 2018
Evaluation of E-cigarette liquid vapor and mainstream cigarette smoke after direct exposure of primary human bronchial epithelial cells

So ive just read this interesting study. And the results are quite intriguing. Vg has more toxic effects on cells than pg but compard to cigarettes both win by far. The problem is that it is very easy to smoke much more e cig than cigarettes therefore conclusions are hard to be made. Furthermore, vg maybe loses but maybe pg has an unknown effects that the study didn't measure

Does anyone know of dr farsalinos reviewed theis article?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25856554

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Unfortunately the link to your study has been removed. Breaking the link (leave a space between the paper and the (dot) whatever may work.

I'd be interested in looking at the actual study. I have to say that "human cells in petri dishes" behave quite differently than human beings, so without reading the study's methodology, I am left thinking, "Okay, petri dishes were exposed to stuff. The results are meaningless/useful/potentially flawed, etc.

I've spent a fair share of my time with petri dishes and doing other biological work. I know the pitfalls involved, and I also know that results may skew, sometimes widely, and they are typically the "first" line of study. I hope you can get your link posted.

Thanks for trying to share it.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Found the study, this is my favorite sentence. While kind of leaning toward trashing e-cigs, (although not as badly as they might have, and to be fair, I guess it was the results they discovered, they did at least state this:

Although these investigations have suggested cytotoxic effects of several e-liquids, the significance
of the results is limited, since the cell types used in those studies are not in direct contact with e-cigarette
liquid in the human body. The primary target organ of e-cigarette vapor is the respiratory tract and
therefore, lung-derived cell cultures should be the in vitro model of choice.

Kinda like it when cell study culture folks admit the limitations of their results. It wasn't a terrible study, just not sure how meaningful it was, but I still LOVE it when the petri dish folks admit that cells in petri dishes don't behave the same as live human beings.

I'm fairly certain that sentence will NOT be cited in any "journalistic" review on the topic.

Anna

Evaluation of E-Cigarette Liquid Vapor... (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274713486_Evaluation_of_E-Cigarette_Liquid_Vapor_and_Mainstream_Cigarette_Smoke_after_Direct_Exposure_of_Primary_Human_Bronchial_Epithelial_Cells [accessed May 12 2018].

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
To use TC mode, you need a TC wire, so stainless steel (usually most used these days, you can vape in wattage OR temp mode) or titanium or nickel (less used these days but some folks still use it (can only be vaped in temp mode) or sometimes ceramic coils.

As far as getting into temp mode, maybe watch a you tube review on your device, mostly likely the reviewer will demonstrate it. The new pico will do TC, and if you don't like your tank, well yes, you can use a MTL topper on it and still TC, the issue will be finding one with drop in coils that work with TC, although I think there are a few. An RBA or an RTA might work better and there are some good MTL ones including the berserker, the Ares, the Siren V2 and the doggystyle. It is a bit of a learning curve, but those are all good TC capable tanks since you can build your own coils using the wire of your choice. It's a bit of a learning curve, but worthwhile, in my opinion.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Alphazero
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread