Sub Ohm on Regulated Series Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManOfBing

Jan 26, 2018
Hello Folks,

First off I want to introduce myself as I am new to the forum and for a good reason. I started vaping in about June of 2017 as I was starting my journey on quiting chewing Tobacco. I have been very successful and love vaping as an alternative. My first mod was a Smok GX2/4. I know its a big boy for a beginner but for some reason I have natural iron lungs and can take the clouds it produces without choking. I eventually got a TFV12 tank for it and I LOVE IT. Most of the coils are sub-Ohm and my current coil is a 0.12 ohm coil head. Which leads me to today....

So me and my buddy both decided to try our hands at RDA's. We both ordered Ijoy RDA's his being the Combo and mine being the CIGPET Eco 12 RDA. I would consider myself an intermediate vaper at this point as I am always researching, watching youtube videos, and keeping up to date on my batteries, mods, etc. Him I would definitely consider a beginner. He has only used low wattage devices such as JUUL's and Suorin's. He now has a Smok ProColor with a TFV12 and he loves it. So we both want to try RDA's now. He wants me to do his build as he does not fully grip the topics of Ohm's law, Wattage, Amps, and Voltage. So basically he does not know or trust himself to build his own build as of right now. So my plan is to teach him to build through this process and to do it SAFELY. So I have spent this week watching multiple videos about Ohm's law, researching Ohm's law and just trying to take in all the information. What I have come to is that regulated series mods have chips that slighly alter the amount of Amps and voltage that a mod is using depending on the wattage you hit it at. Also that Ohm's do not entirely matter when you are hitting on a regulated mod. That as long as you build a coil with low enough resistence that your mod can hit the wattage range for that coil. We decided to go with prebuilt coils for our first time and just get building safely down, and then go from their (Building own coils and such). So here are my questions...

Is it safe to use samsung 25r green batteries in a dual coil .25 ohm mod Smok Alien mod? Also if I am using a dual coil build will the ohms divide in half from .25 ohms to .12? If so is this still safe? Ive been really in to battery safety lately as I just had to rewrap my batteries (cheap and some advise against it I know).

I realize that we will need to change our mod settings to Nickel as they are NiChrome coils. I just want to get this safety down before we start building and one of us loses our face because we did not take enough precaution. Also I do my best not to give vaping a bad name because we cannot afford it with the FDA trying to shut down the community. I am open to any advice and tips to help me understand better. I did see a thread on here about how to calculate amps in a regulated series mod and I believe I understand but I just want to double check. My understanding is that Amps=Wattage/Volts. Which is what you use when you build on a regulated mod.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hello Folks,

First off I want to introduce myself as I am new to the forum and for a good reason. I started vaping in about June of 2017 as I was starting my journey on quiting chewing Tobacco. I have been very successful and love vaping as an alternative. My first mod was a Smok GX2/4. I know its a big boy for a beginner but for some reason I have natural iron lungs and can take the clouds it produces without choking. I eventually got a TFV12 tank for it and I LOVE IT. Most of the coils are sub-Ohm and my current coil is a 0.12 ohm coil head. Which leads me to today....

So me and my buddy both decided to try our hands at RDA's. We both ordered Ijoy RDA's his being the Combo and mine being the CIGPET Eco 12 RDA. I would consider myself an intermediate vaper at this point as I am always researching, watching youtube videos, and keeping up to date on my batteries, mods, etc. Him I would definitely consider a beginner. He has only used low wattage devices such as JUUL's and Suorin's. He now has a Smok ProColor with a TFV12 and he loves it. So we both want to try RDA's now. He wants me to do his build as he does not fully grip the topics of Ohm's law, Wattage, Amps, and Voltage. So basically he does not know or trust himself to build his own build as of right now. So my plan is to teach him to build through this process and to do it SAFELY. So I have spent this week watching multiple videos about Ohm's law, researching Ohm's law and just trying to take in all the information. What I have come to is that regulated series mods have chips that slighly alter the amount of Amps and voltage that a mod is using depending on the wattage you hit it at. Also that Ohm's do not entirely matter when you are hitting on a regulated mod. That as long as you build a coil with low enough resistence that your mod can hit the wattage range for that coil. We decided to go with prebuilt coils for our first time and just get building safely down, and then go from their (Building own coils and such). So here are my questions...

Is it safe to use samsung 25r green batteries in a dual coil .25 ohm mod Smok Alien mod? Also if I am using a dual coil build will the ohms divide in half from .25 ohms to .12? If so is this still safe? Ive been really in to battery safety lately as I just had to rewrap my batteries (cheap and some advise against it I know).

I realize that we will need to change our mod settings to Nickel as they are NiChrome coils. I just want to get this safety down before we start building and one of us loses our face because we did not take enough precaution. Also I do my best not to give vaping a bad name because we cannot afford it with the FDA trying to shut down the community. I am open to any advice and tips to help me understand better. I did see a thread on here about how to calculate amps in a regulated series mod and I believe I understand but I just want to double check. My understanding is that Amps=Wattage/Volts. Which is what you use when you build on a regulated mod.
I know I answered this exact post already.

Reactions: stols001

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
An RDA is no different than a tank, if you're using .12 in a tank, then you could in an RDA. I said in another post resistance is resistance, the mod doesn't care or know what is attached to it other than that.

Now ohms are ohms too, doesn't matter how many coils are there. One coil at .25 or 10 coils with a total of .25 is the same thing to the mod, .25 resistance. Now if you build/buy 2 coils that each are .25 and put them on an RDA (dual coil) the resistance is halved, so it would be .125 (mod would probably show .13). This again would be no different than what your tank is.

Is it safe? Nope, truth is none of it is (speaking to batteries), you need to read up and watch videos from Mooch. He does a great and accurate job of explaining battieries and Ohm's law.

Series Mods- These are designed to provide higher voltage, this higher voltage idea was put into place to get around amp limits. When we were using mechs (only option), we were limited. So stacked or series mods came out, you could build higher resistance but still get large vapor production. Now in a regulated mod it is different compared to the mechanical stuff.

ManOfBing

Jan 26, 2018
An RDA is no different than a tank, if you're using .12 in a tank, then you could in an RDA. I said in another post resistance is resistance, the mod doesn't care or know what is attached to it other than that.

Now ohms are ohms too, doesn't matter how many coils are there. One coil at .25 or 10 coils with a total of .25 is the same thing to the mod, .25 resistance. Now if you build/buy 2 coils that each are .25 and put them on an RDA (dual coil) the resistance is halved, so it would be .125 (mod would probably show .13). This again would be no different than what your tank is.

Is it safe? Nope, truth is none of it is (speaking to batteries), you need to read up and watch videos from Mooch. He does a great and accurate job of explaining battieries and Ohm's law.

Series Mods- These are designed to provide higher voltage, this higher voltage idea was put into place to get around amp limits. When we were using mechs (only option), we were limited. So stacked or series mods came out, you could build higher resistance but still get large vapor production. Now in a regulated mod it is different compared to the mechanical stuff.

I’ve read up on my batteries. I would use either VTC4’s with a 23 amp limit according to mooch or a Samsung 25R which has a 20 amp limit according to mooch. From what I see these batteries seem safe to use on the build I’m going to use especially with a series mod.

Reactions: stols001

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
The resistance doesn't matter. Watts do.

Your Amps will calculate as follows:
Watts you vape at / Lowest possible battery voltage (usually 3 Volts) / 0,9 (efficiency factor)
Divide that by the number of batteries your mod has to get Amps per battery.

Mooch just recently started to do youtube vids. If you wanna learn more about battery safety I´d suggest to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread