Subtank OCC rebuild - do I need NR-R-NR wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I have rebuilt dozens of the OCC heads. You don't need NR-R-NR to prevent scorching the insulator. Just be sure to torch the coil before you install it and DON'T dry burn it once it is installed. There is still a chance it can burn the insulator, but since the red insulators came out I have not had one burn.

Edit: and what Psofos said, contact coils take time to even out, so they are not ideal in this application.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I have rebuilt dozens of the OCC heads. You don't need NR-R-NR to prevent scorching the insulator. Just be sure to torch the coil before you install it and DON'T dry burn it once it is installed. There is still a chance it can burn the insulator, but since the red insulators came out I have not had one burn.
Sorry to be a bit stupid, but are you finding the red ones better? and NOT to test fire a plain (unwicked) coil before wicking? Thanks.. I'm finding all tips a great help.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Sorry to be a bit stupid, but are you finding the red ones better? and NOT to test fire a plain (unwicked) coil before wicking? Thanks.. I'm finding all tips a great help.

I think the red are better, not that there is much of a choice anyway, I haven't seen the white ones in a while.

Correct, don't test fire it once you have it installed. It is fine to do that on a typical RBA, but not in this circumstance. Pre-torching the coil (or you can use a simple lighter if you don't have a torch) will help even it out before you install it.

Reactions: djsvapour

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Another tip for making spaced coils easily is to use a 6-32 machine screw (2.5mm ID) or a 8-32 (3mm ID). With Kanthal I did 5 wraps around a 6-32 and the resistance came out to .7 or .8Ω, with Nichrome (what the stock OCC uses) the same build came out to .5Ω. Obviously you will need to remove the coil from the screw before you install it, but holding it in place with a comparable sized screwdriver while you install it should yield good results. You are also going to need to trim those leads practically flush.

Wicking them, you should try to mimic the factory OCC as much as possible. I always cut the wick leaving about 1.5mm exposed, then tucked the excess inside the hole as evenly as possible. When done you probably couldn't distinguish mine from the factory. Never leaked and hit the same as the factory coils. Good luck, once you get the hang of it, it becomes a pretty simple process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread