Subtank rba build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Hey guys I've been loving my subtanks for a long time now. Finally got around to using the rba and I like it. I just ordered some cotton, 28g kanthal, coil jig thing. I plan on playing around and experimenting myself obviously, but with 28g, about how many wraps, diameter etc will get me somewhere between .5 and 1.2ohm? Just want a little idea then I'll play around from there. Thanks.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey guys I've been loving my subtanks for a long time now. Finally got around to using the rba and I like it. I just ordered some cotton, 28g kanthal, coil jig thing. I plan on playing around and experimenting myself obviously, but with 28g, about how many wraps, diameter etc will get me somewhere between .5 and 1.2ohm? Just want a little idea then I'll play around from there. Thanks.

Hi Dan...

I think you are going to Really like the rba Section on your Subtank.

Here is a Site where you can plug in the type of wire you have, and the Gauge, and then do "What If" scenarios.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I like to use a 3.5mm diameter Coil. Because it makes putting the Cotton in a little Easier. But that is just me.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Hi Dan...

I think you are going to Really like the RBA Section on your Subtank.

Here is a Site where you can plug in the type of wire you have, and the Gauge, and then do "What If" scenarios.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I like to use a 3.5mm diameter Coil. Because it makes putting the Cotton in a little Easier. But that is just me.
Well you're just my best friend today. Lol thanks. I'm looking on YouTube etc and having a hard time finding simple builds, just twisted, dual, etc. Can you help me with one thing? What is the difference of spacing your coils or keeping the loops tight together? Is there any difference? They should have the same resistance regardless? My supplies can't come soon enough!

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well you're just my best friend today. Lol thanks. I'm looking on YouTube etc and having a hard time finding simple builds, just twisted, dual, etc. Can you help me with one thing? What is the difference of spacing your coils or keeping the loops tight together? Is there any difference? They should have the same resistance regardless? My supplies can't come soon enough!

Some People say Spaced Coils are the Only way to go. Other's wouldn't consider using Anything but Touching Coils.

Kinda the Blue Chevy, Red Ford thing. LOL.

Me, I don't see that much Difference between the Two. I kinda lean toward spaced Coils. And when I wrap a coil, I make it Touching, because it is Easier to Wind that way. And then give it Slight Tug like a Spring to space them out.

Just looks Right somehow. But the Taste is about the Same. And so is the Resistance.

But this is kinda what is Cool about making your Own Coils. You can Try all the Different Types you Want. And then see what Works best for you.

Reactions: DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Some People say Spaced Coils are the Only way to go. Other's wouldn't consider using Anything but Touching Coils.

Kinda the Blue Chevy, Red Ford thing. LOL.

Me, I don't see that much Difference between the Two. I kinda lean toward spaced Coils. And when I wrap a coil, I make it Touching, because it is Easier to Wind that way. And then give it Slight Tug like a Spring to space them out.

Just looks Right somehow. But the Taste is about the Same. And so is the Resistance.

But this is kinda what is Cool about making your Own Coils. You can Try all the Different Types you Want. And then see what Works best for you.
Okay cool, thanks. I saw a guy heat up the coil then gently space it with tweezers because he said it was easier with heat. So of course I just ordered a pair of $6 tweezers lol. Oh well I think I'm all set, just waiting now.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Okay cool, thanks. I saw a guy heat up the coil then gently space it with tweezers because he said it was easier with heat. So of course I just ordered a pair of $6 tweezers lol. Oh well I think I'm all set, just waiting now.

I predict that 2 months from now you will have a Cigar Box full of All Kinds of Specialty Tools for Coil Building.

Thrum Scissors. Flush Cut Small Wire Clippers. LED Hands-Free Magnifier. The Works. LOL. But that is All Part of the Fun.

BTW - Not sure if you have this Rip Tripper video or Not?

He is Kinda a Clown but his Vids are Clear and have Nice Close-Up.

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
I predict that 2 months from now you will have a Cigar Box full of All Kinds of Specialty Tools for Coil Building.

Thrum Scissors. Flush Cut Small Wire Clippers. LED Hands-Free Magnifier. The Works. LOL. But that is All Part of the Fun.

BTW - Not sure if you have this Rip Tripper video or Not?

He is Kinda a Clown but his Vids are Clear and have Nice Close-Up.

Yes I did, that's the one good one I saw. I don't mind him. Once he gets going to work he's fine lol. I have a little coil jig thing, wire clips, tweezers, kanthal, and cotton on order. A great start. Oh yeah I have those scissors on order also. I forgot because it's fasttech and they haven't even shipped yet.

Fit_Four_Life

Verified Member
Jun 14, 2015
While I do not wrap my own coils, I find main difference between spaced coils and touching coils in my subtank mini RBAs is that the spaced coils tend to pop & crackle occasionally spitting eJuice up the drip tip into my mouth. I prefer the coils to touch which I find dramatically reduces the "snap, crackle, pop" & burned tongue.

Bitter Jeweler

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Do you gave the old RBA deck or the new one, with the holes?

I have both. While I'm still new at this, I will say, in my opinion, Rip used way too much cotton.

I like thus guys method and use it for both old and new style RBA decks.
His method combs out the "cross" fibers that aren't directing juice to the coil.
It keeps more cotton in the coil, and less outside. I've had no issues since I started doing it this way...see video:

Here is what I do with the new style, with the holes...

The second pic shows (kinda) how at the hole, I have all fiber ends, and no "bent" fiber. The ends are thirsty!

Photo-Jul-01-11-11-53-PM_zpsnrkl9vvb.jpg

One benefit I like, is without superfluous wick holding juice, flavors change over faster and more completely than when you have too much cotton.
Hope that helps!

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
Do you gave the old RBA deck or the new one, with the holes?

I have both. While I'm still new at this, I will say, in my opinion, Rip used way too much cotton.

I like thus guys method and use it for both old and new style RBA decks.
His method combs out the "cross" fibers that aren't directing juice to the coil.
It keeps more cotton in the coil, and less outside. I've had no issues since I started doing it this way...see video:

Here is what I do with the new style, with the holes...

The second pic shows (kinda) how at the hole, I have all fiber ends, and no "bent" fiber. The ends are thirsty!

Photo-Jul-01-11-11-53-PM_zpsnrkl9vvb.jpg

One benefit I like, is without superfluous wick holding juice, flavors change over faster and more completely than when you have too much cotton.
Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! I have a black subtank mini on order, an rba plus on order, and my 2 original rbas I drilled the small 2mm holes in the sides a couple days ago but haven't used yet since, as I'm waiting for my supplies. So I will basically have 4 rba plus soon. I learned just from the included cotton not to use nearly as much cotton as I had thought originally. That looks much cleaner than my/rip trippers in that bottom pic. I'll watch the vid when I can't a little more time at work later.

Last edited:

DanJiblets

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Shorewood, IL
To answer your question about wraps, 5 wraps of 28g around a 2mm rod (the little blue screwdriver is perfect) will get you 1.2. That what I use in my Subtanks. Dont know about the .5 though.

Sent from my Commadore 64 using Tapatalk
Well I'm used to the .5 occs so I also might like to get a bit lower. But I'll probably start with something like this. Will be nice to find my exact sweet spot on my own. I really did like the 1.2 resistance coils I just happened to stock up on the .5 a little while back. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread