• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Subtropical Storm Alberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I know, this thing probably doesn't even deserve a post. But, I'm enjoying the weather up here in the Panama City area and wondered if anyone else is doing the same.
We absolutely need the rain. Unlike some other parts of the state, we've missed out on most of the events over the past year. Only with recent rainfall have we come out of a year long rain deficit. Besides, I just like rainy weather. :)
So far, we've recieved around 1.5" and still have light rain. Haven't yet seen anything which I would call heavy, and that may not happen with this wimpy 'storm', but I'll take whatever it's willing to give. Not much wind at my location, although the immediate coast is likely more interesting. I can't get to it due to troubles with my car. I'll just have to be content to enjoy it from where I am.

P.S. I note that this subforum is practically dead. That's too bad.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Down here in Fort Lauderdale we've gotten a lot of rain for the past 3 to 4 days and some wind (that took down a few tree branches), but not as bad as in Miami or other places in Florida as they showed on the news . Actually, more concerned for the people up north of here when the storm hits the Panhandle area and in other states (especially where I use to live) that have been flooded out already and destroyed property.

• Agree
Reactions: Bea-FL

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Looks like the max wind speeds made it to 60mph?
Just shy of 60 MPH (50 knots) reported by reconnaissance aircraft at altitude over open water.
I just went outside and removed a largish dead branch which had fallen off a big magnolia tree. So, we've had enough wind to clear out some deadwood, LOL. My sunflowers have also taken a hit or two. Some of them stand over 12-feet high.
The center is still offshore. But, I don't expect to see a whole lot more from where I am. Nice thing about weather though, there's always some uncertainty until it's over.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
I know, this thing probably doesn't even deserve a post. But, I'm enjoying the weather up here in the Panama City area and wondered if anyone else is doing the same.
We absolutely need the rain. Unlike some other parts of the state, we've missed out on most of the events over the past year. Only with recent rainfall have we come out of a year long rain deficit. Besides, I just like rainy weather. :)
So far, we've recieved around 1.5" and still have light rain. Haven't yet seen anything which I would call heavy, and that may not happen with this wimpy 'storm', but I'll take whatever it's willing to give. Not much wind at my location, although the immediate coast is likely more interesting. I can't get to it due to troubles with my car. I'll just have to be content to enjoy it from where I am.

P.S. I note that this subforum is practically dead. That's too bad.
Yes, we REALLY needed the rain here in the Jax area too. WE went for almost two months without a drop. We're under severe thunderstorm warnings in my area.

As for this subforum being practically dead...don't worry. It comes alive whenever something major happens. Take a look at last year's hurricane thread!

And welcome to the forum NCC :).

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Down here in Fort Lauderdale we've gotten a lot of rain for the past 3 to 4 days and some wind (that took down a few tree branches), but not as bad as in Miami or other places in Florida as they showed on the news . Actually, more concerned for the people up north of here when the storm hits the Panhandle area and in other states (especially where I use to live) that have been flooded out already and destroyed property.
Not much reason to worry about us here in the Panhandle, not much going on. Unless someone commits suicide swimming in the rough surf there's not much to worry yourself over. We need the rain, so it's hard for me to think of it as "bad" weather.
We've fairly well had our deficit wiped out at this point. But we were in a rain deficit for a full year. It wouldn't bother me if we now spent a year with a rain surplus (within reason). The tree frogs and I would both enjoy that, heh! I don't expect that to happen though.
One bummer. My sunflowers have been heavily damaged by the wind.
The tallest of these plants was around 12-feet. I planted a 2nd round several weeks ago to take their place. But, they've got months to maturity and likely will never get as big with the late start.
Here's what they looked like two-days ago...and this afternoon.
DSCN1979.JPG
DSCN2007.JPG
DSCN2025.JPG

DSC00505.JPG

DSC00508.JPG

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I like your avatar.

Thanks - I think . . . ;)

But to be honest, actually I used to have fun changing my avatar quite often - depending on the season or the holiday , however since I am still very embarrassed - to say the least (ECF :rules: keep me from saying anything else that I would really say) . . . especially with whats going on here in the USA . . . so t's going to stay the same one, especially until he's gone and things get back to what they should be ... Just Sayin' . . .:facepalm:

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Ain't the same here w/o Burnie...

I checked and his last post was April 18. Sure wish he'd come back.

Just in case anyone missed his original post before he left ECF and want to contact him:

I will pop in from time to time, but unless something was to change, I won't be coming around like I was in the past. I created an email for my friends here, in case I go AWOL for a long while. :)

tootlepuffer
at
masterbrewer.net​

If Ya' want to read it yourself, it is here: Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread