Success rate for juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John1952

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2012
United States
Thinking back on all of the bottles of juice you've ordered, what percentage of those bottles was "really good?"

I'm just a newbie, but I think my success rate is really low. If I count the sampler pack of small bottles, my success rate is a lowly 3%. I've only had one that was un-vapable, but most of them are just, "yeah, that's OK." Only one impressed me enough to buy another bottle. And now I'm getting a bit tired of that one.

Is it true that most juices are just OK? And a lot of them just plain suck? I see lots of rave juice reviews here, and talk about "all day vapes." I just can't relate to that. I rotate 3-4 throughout the day. There's no way I can vape the same juice for more than an hour.

Ideally, one would find 4-5 juices that knocks one's socks off, and rotate them. I think I have a long way to go before I reach that point.

But on the other hand, even the crappy juices are more satisfying than smoking a stinky. Either I haven't learned to appreciate juice, or most of them just aren't anything special.

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I'm about 10% on really good, and another 50% are good but not great, 30% not good but tolerable, and 10% are various levels of "yuck". Sometimes I can mix those or thin them...I also bought some flavors and sweeteners and menthol to potentially modify the "bottom 40%".

I am gradually moving toward DIY, since my success rate has been fairly low in finding "awesome".

badmotivator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2012
Eugene, OR
I just got my mod and blanks this week, so I'm trying all these new juices and... Blech. I sure hope I can beat 3%, because this trial period is expensive. At this point I'd be happy to just equal the flavor I got with Blu tobacco flavor just once with bulk juice. I've got a sample pack coming from Johnson Creek tomorrow, so I have some reason to hope... And many more flavors coming as well. 10% would be pretty great. :)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
John1052, what have you tried so far? I would like to know what you're after in terms of taste. The best place to start (after finding out what you didn't like) is to know about that 3% and then work form there. First, we all need to know a little more.

p.s. What device are you using? Also, cartos or attys?

John1952

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2012
United States
I've been using cartos with an eGo, but a few days ago I started using CE4 Clearomizers -- which I much prefer.

Here's a quick rundown on the most of juices I've tried. I'm missing some because I threw the empty bottles away.

• Dueling Banjos from High Desert eCigs -- my favorite so far. The only re-order. It's kind of RY4-ish, I think
  • RY5 from Freedom Smoke -- I like this one, too, and will buy it again. Next time, more nic to increase the TH
  • Bubba's Bounty 12 mg -- It's OK, but it didn't live up to the rave reviews I've read.
  • Gorilla Juice 12 mg -- OK, but it didn't live up to the rave reviews.
  • Red & White 10 mg -- Sickening smell
  • Amaretto 18 mg from MyFreedomSmokes - The worst ever. Overpowering chemical smell. I love Amaretto liquor, but this may have turned me off from it forever.
  • RY4 12mg from High Desert - OK, but I don't like the smell.
  • Macadamia Nut 12 mg from High Desert -- Pretty good
  • Cherry 18 mg from LiquidPress -- OK, but nothing like cherries
  • Banana Creme 18 mg from MyFreedomSmokes - Hated it at first, but after steeping, it's OK and smell isn't overpowering. But no vapor comes out when I exhale (?)
  • Sweet Tobacco Bliss 12mg from High Desert -- This is OK, but not much flavor.
  • USA Mix 18 mg -- OK, but I don't like the smell
  • Sampler pack from Johnson Creek - Didn't like any of them, except for Tennessee Cured. Arctic Menthol wasn't bad either (and I don't like menthol cigs).
So, I'm thinking my tastes are more toward the tobacco end of the spectrum, and also caramel. The smell out of the bottle also has a lot to do with it. I hate anything with a chemical or overpowering smell. I'm going to the local vape shop and sample some flavors. That's been another problem: I've been relying on other's opinions and vendor descriptions.

This little exercise has been interesting. Based on what I like, I'm thinking I might even be able to judge the juice on smell alone. Or at least know which ones to avoid.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Yeah, I understand the the problem with vendors descriptions. I mean, would any vendor really say that their juice is no good? They are going to do their best to sell their product. However, when it comes to "other's opinions", I'd say skip the opinions of like and dislike and try to focus more on the adjectives they use. Their is a great thread called The RY4 Roundup here on ecf and it is probably the most thorough reviews of (tobacco) juices I have ever read. There you will find a slew of key words used in the reviews that may spark your interest.

It is easy to find reviews where someone gives a thumbs up or thumbs down, however the trick is to locate reviews that describe objectively as possible the flavor profiles with an educated palette and equally sophisticated writing style.

Lastly, it sounds as if you have two liquids that you do enjoy, so keep a good stock of those. Also, considering both are RY4 family liquids checkout that thread and good luck.

*edit* I was just on Mom and pop and it is a disclaimer on their RYO flavor stating that he/she doesn't personally like this flavor but saw there was a market for analog tasting liquid.

I think that is pretty awesome of the producer/vendor!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread