Sucralose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
I stumbled onto some information suggesting that sucralose may be dangerous when vaped. A simple Google search brought me to an article and a study suggesting the same. A search on e-cigarette forum brings me very little information on this other than a posting from 2016.

Is sucralose in commercial e-cig liquids still common?

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
If you're a former smoker, the danger in a single ingredient in e-liquid is still magnitudes less harmful (~95%) than the carcinogens you used to inhale.
If you're worried about sucralose in e-liquid, you could exercise due diligence in investigating whether specific vendors use it.
I personally like the diacetyl and sucralose in my DIY e-liquid. It's more realistic flavor profile than "non-hazardous" additives with the "same" function. I still have the BP of a 19yo marathon runner after almost a decade of DL squonking with it in my joose.
Yes, some vendors may add a minor amount. Is it a concern from what may be skewed "studies"? Follow the money behind the findings that caused your concern. There are a lot of wealthy adversaries to the vapor industry, because they have a vested interested in keeping people dying from smoking, but that's another topic...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I stumbled onto some information suggesting that sucralose may be dangerous when vaped. A simple Google search brought me to an article and a study suggesting the same. A search on e-cigarette forum brings me very little information on this other than a posting from 2016.

From the B&M Company Owners I know, and the Owners/Distributors they know, Sucralose is the Industry Dominate Sweetener that is used in Retail e-Liquids.

It is an Extremely Cost Effective Sweetener. It also can Mask Lower Quality Nicotine Bases.

As to the Long Term Health Effects? I dunno. A Lot, as with All things, depends on the Dose. And at what Temperatures one vapes.

Molchi

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2017
Germany
There are 2 new studys from Germany which got leaked about 1-1,5 weeks ago, one from the organization of the e-cigarette merchants (sorry for that translation, since english isn't my first language), and another one from the alliance of tobacco-free pleasure. They tested with a crown 4 kit, with realistic wattage and realistic drawlengths and breaks inbetween, and in different concentrations betweesn 0.5 and 7.5%
Both came to the same result that sucralose starts to break down at about 120C./248F., no matter at which concentration. Since it's a chlorinated sugar they found a few things like Chloroacetaldehyde, which i'm not sure if we should vape it..
Unfortunately so far there are no numbers about the amount of these chemicals and about how concerning this should be for us since we use it diluted to 10%-20%. I guess everyone has to decide for himself if he is fine with it or not.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Still very common but how harmful anyone's guess.

I mean, it appears it will not cause one to drop down dead instantly in the amounts used in most vapes, even very sweet vapes.

Is something going to kill you someday? I 100% guarantee it. Although, that's hardly a reason to NOT research its safety properties, I just see know way to do so right now so you will have to keep in mind whether or not it's worth the risk.
Anna

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Sucralose and ethyl maltol (EM, cotton candy) are the most common sweeteners used in commercial eliquids; @Kurt, our resident chemist, never had any problems with those two. The newer sweetener popular among DIY-ers is erythritol-- also made from sugar-alcohols but much more heat stable than sucralose.

That said, anything other than VG, PG and nicotine added to eliquids poses a potential risk that we can't foresee.

newyork13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2013
western Massachusetts
putting vaping aside, there are many who think sucralose is not healthful. There are also some reports that those folks who have irritable bowel issues may have those issues exacerbated by ingesting sucralose.
So, I have been avoiding it. Too bad, since several commercially produced juices (which I like) contain it.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I switched from Sucrose to ethyl maltol (cotton candy) quite some time ago in my DIY liquids. It had nothing to do with healthy or not but every thing to do with Sucrose gunking up my coils. I probably get upwards of 100 ml through each coil before maintenance with EM.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I too use stevia in my vapes. Safer? Don't know.
But I like the ingredients better than sucrose a bit more.

Of course, I use sucrose in every thing that needs sweet via eating and drinking, but not stevia in those due to the aftertaste, which I do not taste in eliquid.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hmm. Per @Kurt, a chemist (PhD):

"Stevia might be the issue. Wiki it. It is a BIG molecule, with polysaccharide side-groups, which I would think would decompose with coil heat. People have not had the best success with stevia, often claiming a "wet dog" flavor, which would imply decomposition. Try removing stevia and see how it goes. I've not used it myself, mainly because I don't want to inhale decomp products, or larger bio-molecules. I just don't think stevia is a good thing to vape, natural or not."

Carto killing DIY

Flavor Spoilage? Help!

I report, you decide. I don't use Stevia. I stay away from sweeteners as much as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread