Suggestions for Mechanical Mod and Tank/RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shurpacabra

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
hello all and happy vaping!

I am in the market to buy a mechanical mod (I will be using 18650 battery), with a tank and/or RDA. I'm looking at the Chi You mech mod, and the kayfun 3.1 and/or IGO W3 to throw on top. Can anyone give me some insight on these products? Is there something you personally recommend? I used a friends IGO W3 on his mech mod and it was BEAST to say the least.
Thanks, and vape on!:vapor:

AntC

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I went with the Nemesis clone (black box fasttech)for my 1st. Really glad I did. Very simple, hard hitting mech. As for rba, ya cant go wrong with a kayfun, though I highly recommend getting adjustable air, so you can choose your air intake. As for drippers, I dont know much on the igo-w's, but I have igo-l's(3 of em),I wanted a smaller dripper though. I think building MOST drippers are the same, but I would suggest getting one with holes in the neg and pos posts, rather than having to wrap the wire around the neg and pos posts. A lil easier that way. Im sure you either already know, or have been/will be told, but invest in good batteries. Extra couple bucks ensures more safety. I use Sony VTC4s. Dont even come close to maxin out my amp limits, but I like the safety. Hope I'm not comin off as "preachy",promise im just tryin to help lol. Hope you like what you pick, and good luck! Keep us posted...

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Its not that simple, there a few variables to consider ... For one, where will you be using this set up? Is it for work or home? If its for work, do you have the ability (time wise) to drip and re-drip?

I agree with the above comment, if you are planning on running this set up in 650 mode, then you might want to reconsider a Chi and 3.1, as this is straight up lightsaber territory. The Chi You is also a very heavy mod, and the 3.1 is also heavy, so this is not a pocket friendly set up, even as both are very good devices.

Mechs that are relatively small, and lightweight in 650 mode (read pocket friendlier) would be the Astro, Atom (not Atomo), Stingray, Pisces T, to name a few. A telescoping mech is a good idea for first time users because you don't have to fiddle with tubes, or worry about flat top vs button top battery issues, or fire pins that are too long, or short.

To bring down the size of the RBA you should also consider a Kayfun Lite, and pair it with a short, wide bore DT ... A dripper is great as long as dripping throughout the day is convenient for your daily lifestyle. So again, there are a few things to consider about how you vape, when you are selecting the best set up for your needs.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I can't suggest and mech mods, as I prefer regulated mods like the MVP 2 and the Provari. That said, I do like my Nimbus clone and my Kracken clone for home use. The Nimbus is an RDA that's been pretty easy for me to build my first coil on. My only complaint is that when I rewick it, sometimes the ohms of the coils jumps a bit. That easily because they are the first build I've ever done though. All in all, it provides a nice, large, area to work with and you can coil it in multiple combinations, like dual and so on with two negative posts.

The Kracken was a little harder. It is a genesis style tank. A lot of people don't like them due to problems with stainless steel mesh, however I don't bother with that. I set it up in autodrip mode with a single microcoil and cotton. It tastes as good as my dripper, without the actual dripping. Still not quite good for work though, as the tank leaks if not kept upright. Also, if you're the type who doesn't like to tilt your device as you vape, a genesis style tank isn't for you.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Buy a mod with three tubes 350/500/650. Your Kayfun 3.1 will be really, really, really long in 18650 mode.
    No comment on the Chi, as I do not have one, plus I like pinky buttons quite a bit.

Here is a kayfun 3.1 on a nemesis (18650 tube) beside a carvela with a RDA (18500 tube) so you can see what TheJohnG is talking about.
    P1000832_zps930c5c18.jpg

I also have a brass Chi You, and while it hits the hardest of the three, it's heavy and clunky when compared to the caravela or nemesis

Last edited:

degnr8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2009
    Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
    You mentioned RDA which makes me think you may have discovered the bliss that is dripping. If you want that without the problems of actually dripping I would look at the Reo/Rm2 set up. Best $200 I ever spent. If you want to go the bottom feeder route but don't have teh $ for a Reo the Vmod is a cheaper alternative. As for tube mods, I've been really impressed with the Kamry vapebox I was given. On the atty front I'm afraid I can't be much help. All I know is my A7 is OK and my Rm2 rocks, but only really makes sense if you're putting it on a BF

anumber1

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2014
    NW Ohio
    Last edited:

shurpacabra

ECF Veteran
    Apr 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Its not that simple, there a few variables to consider ... For one, where will you be using this set up? Is it for work or home? If its for work, do you have the ability (time wise) to drip and re-drip?

I should have been more specific. This will primarily be to keep at the house to cloud chase and play with and whatnot. Might take it out every now and then, not too concerned about the size. I kind of like big ol' lightsaber mods anyway :p I will be in a position where dripping is not an issue, however the ability to use a tank like a Kayfun would be a nice option.

You mentioned RDA which makes me think you may have discovered the bliss that is dripping. If you want that without the problems of actually dripping I would look at the Reo/Rm2 set up. Best $200 I ever spent. If you want to go the bottom feeder route but don't have teh $ for a Reo the Vmod is a cheaper alternative. As for tube mods, I've been really impressed with the Kamry vapebox I was given. On the atty front I'm afraid I can't be much help. All I know is my A7 is OK and my Rm2 rocks, but only really makes sense if you're putting it on a BF

huh. I looked into the reo you mentioned... it looks strange haha. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I like that you mentioned the possibility of having a tank similar to an RDA without actually having to drip. This would be nice because I feel that dripping constantly could get rather annoying. maybe not. this is why I mentioned the Kayfun.

Last edited:

shurpacabra

ECF Veteran
    Apr 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Buy a mod with three tubes 350/500/650. Your Kayfun 3.1 will be really, really, really long in 18650 mode.
    No comment on the Chi, as I do not have one, plus I like pinky buttons quite a bit.

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying. I do know the Chi You can change between different battery modes, and it does have a pinky button, I was checking it out in my buddy's shop earlier today. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Are there any advantages with certain batteries? I get that 18650 has the longest life/more power or whatever but what about the others?

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Hillsboro, OR
    I was going to go with a Chi You until I found the M16. Honestly, I only chose the Hcigar M16 for its price and that it's telescoping (don't have to deal with extra tubes), I can't comment on the performance differences. I can tell you that my M16 has a 0.1V drop without load and 0.6V drop with a 0.4 ohm dual coil set up, which is pretty good for a $27 clone.

I recommend going with both the Kayfun and IGO. While the Kayfun is great, it won't provide nearly the experience that a dripper will (assuming you're going sub ohm). However, if you ever want to take your vape on the go, dripping is incredibly inconvenient (remember, don't drip and drive, lol). But if you had to choose one, I'd honestly go with the IGO first. I love my Kayfun, but I haven't touched it since I started dripping. You'll just have to deal with dripping on the go, or go without vaping for a few hours.

degnr8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2009
    Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
    I should have been more specific. This will primarily be to keep at the house to cloud chase and play with and whatnot. Might take it out every now and then, not too concerned about the size. I kind of like big ol' lightsaber mods anyway :p I will be in a position where dripping is not an issue, however the ability to use a tank like a Kayfun would be a nice option.

huh. I looked into the reo you mentioned... it looks strange haha. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I like that you mentioned the possibility of having a tank similar to an RDA without actually having to drip. This would be nice because I feel that dripping constantly could get rather annoying. maybe not. this is why I mentioned the Kayfun.
    It's not like a tank. The flavor is way better because you're just putting enough juice on the wick to get it wet like you would by dripping properly. The way a Reo works is you push on the bottle (called "squonking") the juice goes up into the atty and whatever the wick doesn't absorb is sucked back down.

VA Vince

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 23, 2014
    Virginia
    I will throw in my 2 cents. I just recently started using mechanicals, bought the Magneto and really like it buy it is long. Now I am using the Trident RDA with the Magneto and it is about a 1/2" shorter than my Nemesis with a KFL+ on it. I will post a pic of the 2 side by side next to a red solo cup.

I will say the Kayfun lite plus is a stud, very good flavor and it does roll the vapor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread