Suggestions for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into DIY and would like to hear suggestions on what you all think is the best way to get started. I have seen some sites that have starter kits but would like to hear from experience what sights to avoid and ones to go to. If a kit is even a good idea or I should get certain things from different sources. Starting from scratch, the only thing I have is a bunch of empty juice bottles I've saved.

granolaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Skidegate, BC, Canada
granolaboy.net
The way I started (less than a month ago) was just to pick some recipies from the net, order the flavours, and make it.

I also ordered a bunch of flavours that I thought were interesting, but that has turned out to be a bit of a mistake. Better to choose a recipe and look for flavours than to get flavours and try to find recipes.

I think CAP and TFA are the best flavours, but I'm sure others have their favourites.

I'm now just going through "the big TFA recipe thread" I found on reddit and have been trying out the recipies there, and every one I've done so far has turned out as good as any juice I've bought.

Another thing to avoid is measuring with drops. Better to get a 1ml syringe and be accurate. With some flavours, being just a few 1/10ths of a ml off can ruin it.

Oh, and be patient. There is no way to rush steeping time. Most of the recipies I've done so far are pretty disgusting right after mixing, but after 4-5 days turn into something completely different and awesome.

But really, the best thing to do is read, read, read. The stickies at the top of the DIY section is where you should start.

DIY E-Liquid

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I considered a kit, but reading Dannyv45's blog - Danny's Hardware Guide - I didn't bother. I've been mixing for several months now, and I just use 3 kinds of syringes - 1ml, 3ml, and 10ml, luer lock needles, including 14ga for VG, 16 or 18 for PG/flavors, and bottles (30ml glass dropper bottles being my go-to, but now that I've gotten some recipes I rather enjoy, I wouldn't mind 60+ml, but there's no way I would have made 60ml of anything at first; too much changes in the beginning). The hardware part, not including PG, VG, Nic, and flavors, was like $20 or less from Wizard Labs, and I've yet to buy more hardware besides bottles. Oh, and get some clear nail polish - the volume marks on the syringe WILL wear off, very quickly. Unless you don't mind continuously buying syringes :)

Just go slow, and don't expect everything to work out right away. Don't be ashamed to toss juice, and don't feel the need to re-invent the wheel. I got a lot of help from the TFA thread here on ECF, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/336110-flavor-apprentice-flavoring-thread.html, and I wouldn't be where I am today without it (I wouldn't start at the beginning of the thread. Either work backwards, or start around April 2014 or so), especially Bill's Magic Vapor and his blogs. Here's one of his for simple customizable base mixes for beginners, Bill's List of Basic Recipes. I looked around the thread, loved how helpful everyone was, and haven't ordered much besides TFA flavors, just because I know I can get advice on how to make a great liquid.

So, in summation, use ECF as a guide, and you'll be quite happy :)

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
Thanks! I'll check all that out.

If you want to cut down on the time & the syringes, a digital scale with beaker & glass funnel have turned my juice making into a
mere fraction of what it took me prior to that.
p.s
A nice magnetic stir plate with teflon stir magnet, will get your juice mixed up in 4 minutes......me I let it go an hour cause
i like watching it ! lol.
did a vid perhaps you'd like to see. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1LUzEo1vHQ&feature=youtu.be

And a link for stir plate from ebay for $42 bucks....great deal ! Brew Smarter with A Stirstarter Magnetic Stir Plate for Home Brewers | eBay

Last edited:

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
Better yet... digital scale !
hehe.
The way I started (less than a month ago) was just to pick some recipies from the net, order the flavours, and make it.

I also ordered a bunch of flavours that I thought were interesting, but that has turned out to be a bit of a mistake. Better to choose a recipe and look for flavours than to get flavours and try to find recipes.

I think CAP and TFA are the best flavours, but I'm sure others have their favourites.

I'm now just going through "the big TFA recipe thread" I found on reddit and have been trying out the recipies there, and every one I've done so far has turned out as good as any juice I've bought.

Another thing to avoid is measuring with drops. Better to get a 1ml syringe and be accurate. With some flavours, being just a few 1/10ths of a ml off can ruin it.

Oh, and be patient. There is no way to rush steeping time. Most of the recipies I've done so far are pretty disgusting right after mixing, but after 4-5 days turn into something completely different and awesome.

But really, the best thing to do is read, read, read. The stickies at the top of the DIY section is where you should start.

DIY E-Liquid

Roydub

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2014
Allendale, MI, USA
I have had very good experiences with WizardLabs.us and they have 8ml flavorings for 1.49 so its a great place for you to pick up a bunch of flavors so you have more to experiment with and see what you like.. Once you find out what you like you can buy larger quantities.. They also have good prices on equipment such as beakers and graduated cylinders.. myfreedomsmokes.com has great pricing on 100mg nicotine right now, 1 liter for 50.00, and that should last you a very long time... You can pick up plastic dropper bottles on amazon.com for dirt cheap, I got 50 10ml dropper bottles for 6 bucks... I get my PG/VG from here http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-107/Glycerin-Vegetable-KOSHER-USP/Detail so far there the best price ive found because of the free shipping...

I buy from a lot of different places.. It just depends on pricing and availability... I would personally stay away from kits, they may sound good but if you bought everything separately you would save in the long run... I also suggest that you search amazon.com for equipment before buying it from e juice vendor sites... I have found that you can get more of the same items for way way cheaper...

Keep reading around the DIY threads, there is a TON of information here for you...

Good Luck :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Here's a great place to start.

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread