rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    AWG28 is 0.321mm

Insanely small. :)

I see an interesting behaviour of these small coils. They seem to blow vapour out rather than just produce it in a cloud like the bigger wicked ones do. Making the coil smaller seems to enhance the effect.

It should be a femto-coil of course, and the next one down would be the pico-coil.

Last edited:

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
    Aug 1, 2013
    Nottingham
    I see an interesting behaviour of these small coils. They seem to blow vapour out rather than just produce it in a cloud like the bigger wicked ones do. Making the coil smaller seems to enhance the effect.

Rurwin, I haven't tried my hand at these 'femto' coils - haha - but what is the distinction between "blowing vapour" and "producing a cloud of vapour"?

Not being facetious, just genuinely curious.

rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    Both the dragon coil and this one produce a well-defined stream of vapour out of the mouth of the coil. A standard coil wrapped on the wick produces vapour from all around it in a cloud. That must mean that there is an air current entering one end of the coil and exiting the other, generated solely by the coil itself. Whereas in a standard coil the only air current is that produced by the user.

The air current is probably caused by the coil warming the air, in which case it would work better the higher the coil was angled upward.

bryman021

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 8, 2013
    Bradford, PA, USA
    I also have been really digging "nano" coils lately. I have been using a 1.17mm diameter sewing needle to wrap coils on. My latest coil is 1.0 ohm with 6 wraps of 30 gauge kanthal in my Igo-W singe coil. I played around with a "bed of cotton" under the coil, but have much better results with just a small cotton wick thru the coil. It produces nice thick tasty clouds of vape!!

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 30, 2013
    Chicago
    Interesting - I'll have to give this kind of wrap a go and see if I get those results.

I wonder if there are practical benefits of this kind of vapour production: shorter draw times? less performance-dependent upon airflow (user-generated or otherwise)?

Short lung hits with better flavor. The downside is that they really burn up juice.

I built one of these coils with 30 gauge. It was way too hot for me. I just got some 28 in the mail yesterday. I might give it another go.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2012
    VA
    Short lung hits with better flavor. The downside is that they really burn up juice.

I built one of these coils with 30 gauge. It was way too hot for me. I just got some 28 in the mail yesterday. I might give it another go.

I use MBV. Half the price of everyone else...took me a few tries to find some juices that I really love though. They have a raspberry mocha and pear juice that are solid.

rurwin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Leicester, UK
    hmmm I wonder if lightbulb filaments would work???
    I know you've joking, but just for the laugh...
    100 watts at 100 volts means 100 ohms, and I have a feeling that it is significantly higher when the filament is not white-hot.
    A brake-light is about 30 watts at 12 volts making 4 ohms, and the only available tungsten headlight bulbs are only 45W. At 6V (8 or 11W) that might be marginally useable.
    Flashlight bulbs are the right voltage, but less than 1 amp.

If you looked hard enough you might be able to find one that worked, but they are generally too high resistance to be any use in an atomiser. And of course it is probably too fragile to rewick.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread