Sweeteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
100% agree. Thats where you have to be careful mixing. You add enough flavors that contain EM or MM and you wind up with a juice with virtually no taste. All flavors have a maximum level. In other words if strawberry ripe tops out at 8% and you add 10% you just partially muted some of the flavor. Now stack another flavor that contains the same molecules and you mute it more.

Yep- you get it. EM/Maltol is just one (very common) example of a good molecule that can go bad when used in excess. In another thread I said that mixing is like making perfume, and I'll stand by that statement. juice is about the sense of smell, and the line between the smell of flowers and the smell of feces is a fine one.

Really good complex juice is probably juice that skirts that line successfully.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Does anyone know if FA Brown Sugar adds real sweetness or is it just the flavor of brown sugar?
FA (FlavourArts) doesn't make a "Brown Sugar" concentrate (that I coud find; so I assume you mean TFA (The Flavor Apprentice).

I have used both TFA-Brown Sugar, and TFA- DX Brown Sugar (DAAP free version), and I would classify both as sweet flavors but not particularly useful as "sweeteners" (unless, maybe, looking for just the suggestion of "sweet").

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
FA (FlavourArts) doesn't make a "Brown Sugar" concentrate (that I coud find; so I assume you mean TFA (The Flavor Apprentice).

I have used both TFA-Brown Sugar, and TFA- DX Brown Sugar (DAAP free version), and I would classify both as sweet flavors but not particularly useful as "sweeteners" (unless, maybe, looking for just the suggestion of "sweet").
Ooops yes, I was meaning TFA. Thank you for that info. I suspected as much but just wanted to talk to the pros. :thumbs:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
They are both forms of artificial sweetener. Too much ethyl maltol can mute other flavors. I got a small sample of erythritol but haven't used it yet as I just mixed and am steeping. My understanding re: erythritol is that it is very potent, which can be useful in terms of adding less sweetener than other sweeteners but as far as how it tastes, I'm not sure yet. They both can be used as sweeteners though they just have slightly different properties pretty much.

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: christylh8

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
They are both forms of artificial sweetener. Too much ethyl maltol can mute other flavors. I got a small sample of erythritol but haven't used it yet as I just mixed and am steeping. My understanding re: erythritol is that it is very potent, which can be useful in terms of adding less sweetener than other sweeteners but as far as how it tastes, I'm not sure yet. They both can be used as sweeteners though they just have slightly different properties pretty much.

Anna
Erythitol stinks as a sweetner for vaping. Its about as sweet as VG. I tried it when it first came out and was disappointed. Heres a good write up on it https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/56h9ag/erythritol_placebo_bull...._at_its_finest/

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Has anyone tried 'Super Sweet' by Purilum? The blurb on the site is:

A great Sweetener for any occasion!
*** This extract is extremely concentrated.***
Suggested percentage 1-2%
Diketone Information:
Diacetyl: None
Acetoin: None
Acetyl Propionyl: None

Sounds interesting..

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Has anyone tried 'Super Sweet' by Purilum? The blurb on the site is:

A great Sweetener for any occasion!
*** This extract is extremely concentrated.***
Suggested percentage 1-2%
Diketone Information:
Diacetyl: None
Acetoin: None
Acetyl Propionyl: None

Sounds interesting..

What exactly is Purilum's Super Sweet?

Someone mentioned it awhile back, but this is about the Only thing that referenced what Super Sweet is made of...

SECTION 3 : COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

Mixtures:

Chemical Name CAS# Ingredient Percent EC Num.

FEMA/GRAS Flavoring Ingredients Various <= 20.0 by weight

Propylene Glycol 57-55-6 >= 10.0 by weight

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...weet_flavor_-0535501.pdf?13226766853259809152

And that Doesn't make much sense.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL

Anna
I got a bottle early on to (what I thought would) improve commercial juices I didn't like. It is a very thick liquid. When I was sub ohming it could gunk up a little SMOK coil within a few hours. I'm not convinced it does anything but possibly make flavors a little richer. I'm on the fence if I will keep using it.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
For those of you who use liquid Stevia, what percentage do you use (for example in a 15mL)? Do you get a natural sweet taste or something sorta strange?

I think liquid Pyure stevia is making my liquids taste a little odd (like using old fashioned Nutrasweet) and I don't like it.

I bought some natural stevia leaves ground into powder which I'm going to hydrate and then strain through cheesecloth. The powder is green so that will be interesting.

I'm also going to try what Anna suggested, Capella Super Sweet, but right now stevia is all I have on hand.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
For those of you who use liquid Stevia, what percentage do you use (for example in a 15mL)? Do you get a natural sweet taste or something sorta strange?

I think liquid Pyure stevia is making my liquids taste a little odd (like using old fashioned Nutrasweet) and I don't like it.

I bought some natural stevia leaves ground into powder which I'm going to hydrate and then strain through cheesecloth. The powder is green so that will be interesting.

I'm also going to try what Anna suggested, Capella Super Sweet, but right now stevia is all I have on hand.
I use Now Glycerite Stevia at 0.50% in my fruit recipes. I don't use any sweetener in my bakery recipes. I tried Pyure but didn't care for the taste and the Pyure would go bad* fast even if I refrigerated it. The Now brand stevia can be bought on Amazon for under $10 for 2 fl oz if u only use it for DIY, or around $20 for 8 fl oz if you also want to use it for baking or in your coffee or tea.

*Bad = brown streaks floating in the clear dropper bottle I transferred it into to.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

It depends on the juice. If it’s a fruit, .5% so it’s a more natural, ripe fruit kind of sweet. If it’s a candy or bakery flavor, I’ll go 1%. I haven’t tried all the sweeteners, because I like Stevia, so why fix what isn’t broken? But I’ll also say, when I’m after sweet, I want a lot of it. You may need less!

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I got away from tfa sweetener and others to avoid the gunking of coils they caused. I first tried pyure but even stored in a fridge it goes bad (gets cloudy and black traces/strings in it) quickly so I switched to Now Foods Glycerite Stevia which is mostly VG. I don't think it is as sweet as using the TFA I used to use but I also try and use as little as possible. I don't notice any bitterness with it but I mostly only use it with fruit dominant recipes and I never go above 0.5% so far.

There are some threads on other vape forums about stevia and the different types you can try (or make yourself), from other users that have tried the various types/brands and done comparisons, that can probably offer better opinions on the different types of stevia and any bitterness. IIRC some use stevia with or without some (citric?) acid depending on if their recipe is fruit dominant or not but I forget the specifics of which to use when.
Fozzy, have you ever tried natural stevia? I bought some ground stevia leaves from a health food store and I plan to rehydrate them and strain the liquid (through cheesecloth) and try that. I don't like the taste of Pyure so much. The only thing about the natural kind I got is that it is green green green. :p

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Fozzy, have you ever tried natural stevia? I bought some ground stevia leaves from a health food store and I plan to rehydrate them and strain the liquid (through cheesecloth) and try that. I don't like the taste of Pyure so much. The only thing about the natural kind I got is that it is green green green. :p
no, just pyure, and now glycerite. There are people over on the ELR forums that make their own but I have never tried. I can't link to their forum but you should be able to find some of the threads about stevia and sweetener alternatives over there with a bit of googling.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Cap super sweet Ingredients:
Water, Sucralose, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate
TFA sweetener Ingredients:propylene Glycol, Water, Sucralose.
FW sweetener Ingredients: Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Sucralose and Propylene Glycol
Still cant find anything on the pur super sweet
All these are sucralose based and tend to break down at fairly low temps(hence the gunky coils). Think Im going to switch to this Stevia Solutions (5-10%) - Nude Nicotine . Stevia based and holds up quite well to heat.

christylh8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2018
Huntsville, AL
no, just pyure, and now glycerite. There are people over on the ELR forums that make their own but I have never tried. I can't link to their forum but you should be able to find some of the threads about stevia and sweetener alternatives over there with a bit of googling.
I'm really put off by artificial tastes. I've never even liked diet colas and what not. I hoped stevia wouldn't be that way, but the Pyure seems to have an aftertaste to me, even in the smallest percentages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread