Status
Not open for further replies.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Ok, the first time I had this happen it was with my magneto and mnke 18650 20amp batteries, but I'm assuming it was because I was going off of the plethora of misinformation on these batteries. All sources I checked on Google listed them at 30amps..but I wasn't pushing greater than continuous rating, using 4.2volts for current needs..0.25 ohms maybe? It's been a while.

I just got a hcigar atomo.. running the same 18500 efests and 0.7ohm coils I've had for weeks on my turtleship without issue. I notice I get a sensation easy to think of just being heat, but with my experience of getting touched by electricity with my job, it's a low voltage shock. Also beyond my experience with being shocked, the switch doesn't get hot when this occurs.

I've tried to cause it to happen, and I'm thinking it may be when I grab it really fast and engage the switch hard.. causing pinky tip to indent from pressure.

Don't know what to do about it..

I do sometimes feel (with the hand firing the mod) a little shock and some sensation of heat from the body of my Z-Max Mini. It is not my battery overheating because I am not feeling any abnormal heat if I touch the mod with my other hand.

My guess is it is probably a nerve in my hand firing (or misfiring). After all, the mod uses the tube to transmit electricity and your hand is exposed to it. It is only 4 volts or thereabouts so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Try cracking your knuckles.

Seriously, it is likely a Nerve firing in your pinky, not the mod. DC just doesn't normally do that.

40yr Auto Electronics :)

"Normally," yes, but I see it quite often..of course, it's with cables getting pushed to 37-100+kV, but even without an insulator being compromised, there is still some leakage, and my hand is basically the insulator of the mod. If I didn't have the experience with the magneto, I'd be more inclined to fully agree, but the shock from the magneto was pretty intense from the amount of current behind it. I would agree even more if I was the only one that experienced the shock from the magneto.. However, I am the only one that has experienced this with the atomo, and it isn't nearly as intense...allowing me to lean more towards nerves in this case..but I still have doubts.

I don't know. Could the slight debris of it being a mod I haven't cleaned after getting it not cause this? or should I believe that I am legally insane from past experiences with certain things? Both?:)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I think - for sanity sake - I'd do a good Mod cleaning first and see what happens. Pushing resistance could be upping amperage a bit in abnormal areas(not coil) switch could be catching an abnormal load.
Don't forget to clean the topper as well - threading and positive pin as well as coil connections.

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Sheffield, UK
Try cracking your knuckles.

Seriously, it is likely a Nerve firing in your pinky, not the mod. DC just doesn't normally do that.

40yr Auto Electronics :)

Completely agree with this. I'm an Electrical Engineer and you would not believe how many people are adamant they got a shock from a plastic cased switch when they push it. I also have a Magneto and have experienced this jolt myself when it has been in my hand a while in the same position.

Just to make yourself feel better, hold a fully charged battery between thumb and forefinger, touching each end. You won't feel anything there, so it's impossible to feel a shock through your mod. I've never had a shock from DC, and find that I only get a mild tingle from anything above 50V AC (do not try this, I didn't do it on purpose!).

So relax and have a good vape :)

Suspect, I have noticed this a couple times on my nemesis. I understand exactly what you mean my it felt very hot but the switch/mod hadn't increased at all in temperature, don't think it was a nerve because i could replicate it and my girlfriend felt it as well. it only happened when i was using a button top 350 with the beauty ring on and my finger was touching the ring while engaging the switch, it was like the heat was ONLY on that one finger. so i stopped using the stubby and went back to 650's and have no issues anymore. it has never happened on my chi-you ever. really interested into how this could be happening, but an aside my life has so much static I feel like a walking battery lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread