Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @Hambonecloudin83

Not familiar with the Switcher, but have picked up 2 Mags. I would say there is a bit of a trade-off with the Mag. It is a very comfortable fit in the hand and I really like the looks, grip, and menu. It is a bit large and fairly heavy, but seems to be built like a tank. Dropped mine once from chest height onto concrete with no functional damage and barely a mark. And if a tank is in play, I absolutely am loving the TFV12 Prince that comes with the kit (only $10 more where I got mine).

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
:facepalm:

Nice response to a new poster who already has and presumably likes a Smok product!

You're right!

Let's pretend Smok doesn't have a bad reputation and hope his mod doesn't blow up like the ladies in general discussion, have the paint wear off within a month like the thousands of alien users, or come back and post later about coils lasting a day.

Again, personal preference. If his personal preference is Smok products, no one is stopping him.

Seeing that Smok just put together a customer support page to deal with all the problems they have, I guess now at least he has contact information to reach them.

...unless he's Canadian. Since Smok doesn't honour warranties here.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I wouldn’t say smok’s reputation is precisely bad. When smok products work they work fine. The problem is they don’t ALWAYS work. Part of it is that the products are both inexpensive and ubiquitous. There’s a lot of it out there and they’re cheap. As a result a certain percentage are going to fail, and because there are so very many smok products out there there will therefore be a lot of failed devices. Smok DOES need to work on its quality control. Many of these failures should never have gotten out of the factory. Bad solder joints failing and whatnot. What’s disturbing is some of these failures are dangerous.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
You're right!

Let's pretend Smok doesn't have a bad reputation and hope his mod doesn't blow up like the ladies in general discussion, have the paint wear off within a month like the thousands of alien users, or come back and post later about coils lasting a day.

Again, personal preference. If his personal preference is Smok products, no one is stopping him.

My personal preference is not buy or suggest Smok.

Seeing that Smok just put together a customer support page to deal with all the problems they have, I guess now at least he has contact information to reach them.

Nice follow-up to your first post!

"Bad reputation"? Perhaps you have access to the numbers of satisfied Smok users as opposed to dissatisfied users? Have you verified every Smok complaint comment or thread, that it is due to product defect not abuse or user error, or are they all just added to your Smok sucks documentation? Or could it be some vapers with a vendetta against Smok (justified or not) who feel the need to do hourly searches for any and all Smok threads so they can make their "anything but Smok" posts?

"hope his mod doesn't blow up like the ladies in general discussion". Ah! The pen, charging via computer, overnight, that fell off the desk or stand and burned the carpet? Clearly defective product right? Or maybe it is a thread I missed or overlooked about the Mag 225, you know, the one op is asking about?

"coils lasting 1 day". None of those posts are due to improper priming or break in or not starting on a lower wattage. How about that post complaining about not being able to take 9 hits in 30 seconds? No, all complaints are product defects or poor QC.

"Alien paint peeling". So, you got 1 out of 4. An actual defect addressed and corrected on subsequent productions. Probably best if you just stick with that one.

"Again, personal preference. If his personal preference is Smok products, no one is stopping him." But you will certainly try!

"My personal preference is not buy or suggest Smok." You typed that with a straight face after your original post "go with the Switcher just because it isn't a Smok."? Saying you would go with a Switcher just wasn't enough, huh?

My best bet is you have neither mod, no basis for rational contribution to op's question. But couldn't resist the opportunity to get in another Smok blast!

Reactions: papergoblin

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Smok comes off as a greedy and indifferent supplier. They won't be getting my money.
Nor mine, likely. I’m not really in their market though. I’ve been vaping for a long time, I use RBAs, I know exactly what features I want and which ones I don’t, and I’m willing to pay more for higher quality.

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Welcome aboard Hambone. We have similar tastes in mods. My T-Priv was my first 2 battery mod. It has performed flawlessly for me. I got a TFV12 Prince for Christmas which works great on the T-Priv. I get good life out of the coils, the settings menu is easy to use and it has pretty lights which was the deciding factor when I bought it.

Recently the shinyitis bug got a hold of me and I found myself trying to decide between the Mag and the Switcher. I'm now waiting for my Switcher to arrive. I wanted the option of using cCell coils (I use these in my Target Pro) and the Switcher LE has pretty lights. But I probably would have been just as happy with the Mag.

I worked on CT Scanners and MRIs for nearly 40 years. The last company I worked for is the biggest producer of medical equipment. We had the best Engineers and Technicians in the business. The parts I ordered and replaced were valued in the thousands of dollars each and went through quality assurance checks. With all that said, I still got the occasional DOA part. A few actually caught fire. This company is still considered the best in the business even though quite a few people think they are greedy.

The point is buy what you like. If you get a lemon, it will likely fail within the warranty period.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama

"Bad reputation"? Perhaps you have access to the numbers of satisfied Smok users as opposed to dissatisfied users? Have you verified every Smok complaint comment or thread, that it is due to product defect not abuse or user error, or are they all just added to your Smok sucks documentation? Or could it be some vapers with a vendetta against Smok (justified or not) who feel the need to do hourly searches for any and all Smok threads so they can make their "anything but Smok" posts?

"hope his mod doesn't blow up like the ladies in general discussion". Ah! The pen, charging via computer, overnight, that fell off the desk or stand and burned the carpet? Clearly defective product right? Or maybe it is a thread I missed or overlooked about the Mag 225, you know, the one op is asking about?

"coils lasting 1 day". None of those posts are due to improper priming or break in or not starting on a lower wattage. How about that post complaining about not being able to take 9 hits in 30 seconds? No, all complaints are product defects or poor QC.

"Alien paint peeling". So, you got 1 out of 4. An actual defect addressed and corrected on subsequent productions. Probably best if you just stick with that one.

"Again, personal preference. If his personal preference is Smok products, no one is stopping him." But you will certainly try!

"My personal preference is not buy or suggest Smok." You typed that with a straight face after your original post "go with the Switcher just because it isn't a Smok."? Saying you would go with a Switcher just wasn't enough, huh?

My best bet is you have neither mod, no basis for rational contribution to op's question. But couldn't resist the opportunity to get in another Smok blast!

I will say my dad bought an alien when they first came out, he's used it everyday almost all day. The thing just goes but, there ain't a lick of paint left on it, lol and he couldn't care less. He's getting ready to buy a mag, he's got the money for a DNA or whatever but loves SMOK stuff.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Fair disclosure, I haven't vaped either product. There are many happy smok users and some dissatisfied ones, I don't know the numbers on each but I'd imagine the truth of matters falls somewhere in between. For a long time, I hated on Kangertech because I didn't like their mods for me, they just didn't hold up well to my clumsiness and etc.

So I guess I'd say go with the one that most appeals to you, and whichever one that is, I hope you end up satisfied with it, but if I were in the sub0hm market I would probably try some of their products, with the caveat that I would work really hard on user error (as I do think smok is a brand sold heavily in vape stores to new vapers) and getting to know my equipment and probably use it fairly hard during the warranty period to make sure I had gotten a good model, by that I mean a genuine lemon (which I have encountered but only with cars) and perhaps some extra caution IF it was warranted by that particular smok model. Like, check for any KNOWN issues about it prior to buying. I know the alien had a pretty bad rap for a while, but honestly haven't heard complaints about it NOW. So, I do think (like any company) things can be rushed.... the time I MOST heard complaints was right before deeming was pushed out when lots of companies were trying to get "to market" as it were. Smok is also a high volume seller.

Best of luck,

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec

If he wants to think that way he can, i myself have a gpriv 2 and even though i kinda like it, imo it's way overpriced.
You gotta face the facts, smok has more defects than any other company, sure they sell more but they make about 70% of the market i bet, they even go as far as to release a mod every few months (or more) smok as a company sucks big time, i've never had any dud with other stock drop in coils,but smok never worked and i have 2 tanks (big baby/baby X) both of which never even came close to the experience of my crown III. Again that's my opinion and just because someone dosen't like smok dosen't make them any less than you are. He can write his suggestion you can write yours, what ima do ? Grab some popcorn and watch this explode it seems.

TLDR: he can say it how he wants i'll say it like this: smok sucks big time it's NOT for beginners and clearly you're overreacting over a comment of choice. IF he dosen't like smok and dosen't want to support them he can,i gave them 3 chances to impress me and they didn't so no more money to smok from me, which again that's MY opinion feel free to disagree,that's why the forums are there,but considering the number of beginners that come back here to complain about their Smok i wouldn't be surprised if this would be the case here too.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
If he wants to think that way he can

You are absolutely correct and get no argument from me on that point!

My objection was he is not just "thinking that way." In response to asking opinions on a choice between 2 mods, op gets a "anything but Smok response." Not an opinion of either product op is asking about, not an explanation of why one is or could be better then the other, but taking advantage of an opportunity to condemn an entire line of products that serves no purpose in response to the question asked. If you see anything at all productive in that post, so be it. I don't!

Everything after that is a product of and in response to his feeble attempt to justify the first post.

As to your comments:

So you tried and "kinda like" your G-Priv 2, but think it is a little pricey. You tried 2 Smok tanks and neither in your opinion measured up to another brand tank you have, even though they "never worked." Smok releases a new mod every few months. Hardly sufficient basis to proclaim "smok as a company sucks big time."

If Smok haters want to start a thread and scream their reasonings from the rafters, be my guest. Heck, I may even stop in from time to time. But when a new member who already owns Smok products asks about another Smok product and hears "all Smok sucks", that's a bit of a slap in the face.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Trying to figure out to get a Smok mag or a Switcher..... Thoughts???? The wife wants my T priv.... so time to upgrade

I will recommend the Vaporesso. Never tried a Smok but I do see lots of people posting w problems with them.

I’ve been using the Revenger mini & now the Revenger X. I couldn’t be happier! Fantastic flavor and vape clouds regardless of which coil I use. It’s solidly built and easy to navigate. It has all kinds of settings including Custom ones if you want. So it can be as simple or elaborate as you want.

Seriously love both of the Vaporessos I have. Enjoy!!

Hambonecloudin83

Jan 12, 2018
Welcome Hambone.
Any particular reason you are only looking at Smok mods?
Well only reason is important pretty new to the game, as far as mods all I've had is a Smok priv v8(now Wife uses), then I got the t priv and haven't had any trouble with it... I want to let my Wife use this and move on to something else and I also want to start getting into Eva's I just really don't know where to start!!!! Overload

Hambonecloudin83

Jan 12, 2018
Welcome @Hambonecloudin83

Not familiar with the Switcher, but have picked up 2 Mags. I would say there is a bit of a trade-off with the Mag. It is a very comfortable fit in the hand and I really like the looks, grip, and menu. It is a bit large and fairly heavy, but seems to be built like a tank. Dropped mine once from chest height onto concrete with no functional damage and barely a mark. And if a tank is in play, I absolutely am loving the TFV12 Prince that comes with the kit (only $10 more where I got mine).
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread