Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
So I'm in the market for a high power box... Money isn't really an issue, I don't mind spending more if the device is worth it

I was originally looking down the Vaporshark / Vapor Flask route, but I just don't think 40W will be enough to suit all my vaping needs. I'd like a bit more headroom.

The SX Mini M Class looks nice, but after doing some research I'm a bit unsure...

So, I have some questions for folks that have used a variety of these different style high powered Chinese mods.

1) Are there any substantial differences between the SX330 and SX350 chips?
2) Will the new SX330 chip being used in the ipv4 (With TC) be comparable to the SX350?
3) Why is the SX Mini so much more expensive than say, a Sigieli 100+, or an IPV3?
4) How much vape time should I expect using a 2100 mAh VTC4 and a .4 build running at 50W?

I've seen the screen on the SX Mini, and prefer the information and features offered compared to the ipv / Sigieli mods, but is there any significant drop in performance?

Is the difference in the way the SX350 handles voltage below the battery voltage? (Smooth buck circuit compared to exaggerated PWM?)

Hah... I know it's a lot of questions, and I probably haven't covered them all... I'm just curious what makes this Chinese mod with this SX350 chip worth nearly double the price of the higher powered box with the SX330.

They are asking premium "Made in U.S.A." prices for a mod made in China with considerably lower manufacturing costs...

Is it worth it?

Reactions: Okan

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
Just a thought:

If your All Day Bag is a 0.4 ohm atty running at 50w, then any regulated device running on a single 18650 is going to yield pretty modest usable vapetime between charges or battery swaps. We just don't yet have the kind of high energy density 18650 batteries that these devices would need to really perform for a decent amount of time at +30w. I mean, the SXmini's are simply awesome devices by most standards and accounts, however for as good as they are they simply cannot squeeze any more juice from a single battery than that battery would let them. Most 20A batteries will sag like crazy running at 50w and this means they will usually hit the chip's momentary low voltage cutoff (and display "weak battery" or some such) before the battery is even halfway discharged (~3.6v). So there's that.

If you just can't be persuaded to come down on the watts a bit and likewise up on the ohms, I'd really recommend choosing a dual 18650, single 26650 or fat LiPo device. Unless you're okay with swapping out batteries many many times throughout the day.

Last edited:

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Usually if I am heading to work for the day, I bring my KFL+ on my ProVari and call it a day... 1.4 Ohms and it lasts all day...

But the ProVari won't fire below .9 Ohms, so I'm using a mech right now for basically everything BUT my KFL+

Realistically I would be running this mod between 35-40W, considering the sag voltage right off a fresh charge is probably below 4V, and .4 Ohms @ 4V is 40 Watts...

I would have to try some different builds to see how my RDA's perform with a regulated device. For everything but my KFL+, I am pretty much using the same coils... A .4(ish) Ohm single coil made with 24 AWG resistance wire around a 3mm rod. Sometimes I only use one, sometimes I use dual coil, depends on the device I am putting a build on. It works for me so I tend to not stray too far from it. Reason I suggest a .4 Ohm build up top is because I could see me using one of the RSST's on this thing out and about, and I've been using it with a single coil .4 ohm build. But, like I said, it's spending most of it's life vaping around 35W once the battery levels out to 3.7V, and probably a lot lower than that once you take sag into account. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try out 26 AWG an see how that does.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The difference between the SX330 and SX350 is that the SX330 chip will either BUCK or BOOST, but not both at the same time. The SX350 will do both. Not a huge factor provided you keep your resistances within the chips capabilities.

The SX Mini M has a more ergo-friendly ... smaller design and is built like a tank.
The IPV4 is going to be bigger and feel slightly "cheaper" in comparison but will give you longer battery life.

Both are going to be among the best devices in 2015 so pick which features are more important to you.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
The SX Mini is truly my best mod. But, I do think you would be happier with a 2 battery mod. Can you afford both? I have both, and am happy that I do.

I've played around with the sigelei 100+, and it's a bit too bulky forum tastes. Don't care for the screen layout either. That's why I was looking at the SX Mini because the build quality looks much better, albeit sacrificing some power and battery life in favor of a better quality device. The sigelei was a lot bigger than I expected too. Like I'm vaping a deck of 3x5 index cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richboyporter

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2015
Cleveland
Isn't there a sx mini s class with a one or 2 battery option 120w max?

Thats all the head room and power.

I waiting on my IPV4 on pre order, best build at higher watts for the money. But if i had the funds for the sx mini s class? (120w) I would have grabbed that over the ipv4. The both have temp control. But the sx looks like quality all around. Yihi, makes their chips (P4U and Sigelei) you would think that they put more into their own unit. That IMO. Just saying.

#VAPEORDIE

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Isn't there a sx mini s class with a one or 2 battery option 120w max?

Thats all the head room and power.

I waiting on my IPV4 on pre order, best build at higher watts for the money. But if i had the funds for the sx mini s class? (120w) I would have grabbed that over the ipv4. The both have temp control. But the sx looks like quality all around. Yihi, makes their chips (P4U and Sigelei) you would think that they put more into their own unit. That IMO. Just saying.

#VAPEORDIE

You are thinking of the SX mini M class, thats the one with temp limiting. Yes, there is an extension tube to run dual batteries to get 120w, but its rather ugly/impractical when installed.

The SX350J board should be available for sale on its own soon for modders to make their own dual battery SX350J box mods though.

Either way, at the end of the day the SX mini m class is definitely worth the asking price IMO. To me its a much better mod than a comparable DNA 40 option in the same price range (vapor shark rdna 40, or hana modz v4S both of which leave much to be desired from a build quality stand point).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread