SX mini SL Throttling

Status
Not open for further replies.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
So just in case someone else runs into this....Think I figured it out. I was on a SX I Q Flavor mode. I’m not even sure what those settings are for tbh.
FWIW...

I don't use TC, but believe I read that with the way the YiHi chip works, this pulsing can be more noticable when you set your wattage too high too. It hits the temp really quickly and causes more pulsing, especially when you first hit it with a cold coil.

Not sure, something to keep in mind though if you notice the pulsing even with it set in the correct mode.

billthetroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2016
Huntington West Virginia
FWIW...

I don't use TC, but believe I read that with the way the YiHi chip works, this pulsing can be more noticable when you set your wattage too high too. It hits the temp really quickly and causes more pulsing, especially when you first hit it with a cold coil.

Not sure, something to keep in mind though if you notice the pulsing even with it set in the correct mode.
yea that's what a couple YouTube reviewers have said it's kinda a warning system of sorts that the wick is getting dry.kinda cool tho.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Very weird. I tried another RDA on it and now it works fine. Didn’t like the Enthion clone or Recurve I guess. Not sure why both have spaced simple round wire at .7 ohms. o_O

These high end devices are so finicky about stuff. I can put anything on the Revenger X and it’ll work and I get just as an enjoyable vape lol!!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yihi uses Pulse Modulation to try and maintain temperature in TC. If you look at DJLsb’s measurements, the pulses get wider apart the dryer the wick gets

SX Mini TC.jpg

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
Very weird. I tried another RDA on it and now it works fine. Didn’t like the Enthion clone or Recurve I guess. Not sure why both have spaced simple round wire at .7 ohms. o_O

These high end devices are so finicky about stuff. I can put anything on the Revenger X and it’ll work and I get just as an enjoyable vape lol!!

Have you tried cleaning the 510 connector with a q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I’m going to take a look at the 510 pins. From reading the Evolv forum I know that DNA mods can have difficulty with tc if the 510 pin is coated or whatever can be done to them.

I’ll wash it off w alcohol and possibly use a nail file to expose the metal better.

I’ll post back.

• Useful

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Yihi uses Pulse Modulation to try and maintain temperature in TC. If you look at DJLsb’s measurements, the pulses get wider apart the dryer the wick gets

View attachment 771451

I saw that in his video but he mentioned it was at high levels but I couldn’t see what those levels or temps were on my phone screen.

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
Make sure you get good resistance locks with room temp atty. Make sure 510, pins, grub screws are secure. Make sure TCR/mode is correct. Start with power mode, get target wattage, flip to TC/J with same power at max temp. Reduce temp until TC just throttles at the end of the vape then add power for faster preheat and/or adjust temp for flavor.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
I second the fact that if a 510 pin is plated, the mod is unsuitable for TC.
Different metals creates a thermoelectric effect (Seebeck effect) that confuses the TC circuitry.
The pin must mandatorily be made of berillium-copper. Alternatively, brass can work if you clean it often from the oxidation.
Other materials make TC regulation very poor.

VapNMirrors

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2015
currently, Earth
I second the fact that if a 510 pin is plated, the mod is unsuitable for TC.
Different metals creates a thermoelectric effect (Seebeck effect) that confuses the TC circuitry.
The pin must mandatorily be made of berillium-copper. Alternatively, brass can work if you clean it often from the oxidation.
Other materials make TC regulation very poor.
This is far more a factor if using factory SS coils using NR (nickel) legs. They induce their own TCR atop the coil's. However, in all but the most extreme cases the Yihi chips can accommodate this (and in 510 pins) with perhaps a slight tweak to the TCR if you want accurate temps. The regulation is still decently smooth. In extreme cases where it's not you can just bump the temp and run basically power mode but with dry-hit prevention still intact. Very capable chips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread